cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Treasure chest found, but not by me :(

44 REPLIES 44

None of the news stories really explain how the clues led to the treasure.

Message 2 of 45
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

None of the news stories really explain how the clues led to the treasure.

If you mean no one gives an explanation of each specific clue, I guess someone will publish that if and when the finder is identified and cares to reveal the location in which he found the chest.  I don't blame him for keeping schtum.

Per NYT:

"He announced the quest to the world in a self-published 2010 memoir, “The Thrill of the Chase,” and provided clues to the location in 24 cryptic verses of a poem. He has said that the treasure was hidden in the Rockies at 5,000 feet above sea level, hints that have sometimes led hunters into dangerous and remote stretches of wilderness..."

It's interesting that first responders breathed a sigh of relief that the hunt is over, since it brought many people to the area who lacked the the experience and skills to deal with the terrain.  Two died and several were injured.

Message 3 of 45
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's the poem:

As I have gone alone in there
And with my treasures bold,
I can keep my secret where,
And hint of riches new and old.

Begin it where warm waters halt
And take it in the canyon down,
Not far, but too far to walk.
Put in below the home of Brown.

From there it's no place for the meek,
The end is ever drawing nigh;
There'll be no paddle up your creek,
Just heavy loads and water high.

If you've been wise and found the blaze,
Look quickly down, your quest to cease,
But tarry scant with marvel gaze,
Just take the chest and go in peace.

So why is it that I must go
And leave my trove for all to seek?
The answers I already know,
I've done it tired, and now I'm weak.

So hear me all and listen good,
Your effort will be worth the cold.
If you are brave and in the wood
I give you title to the gold.

Message 4 of 45
latest reply

As I understand it, it's the guy who hid the treasure who has announced that it's been found. But I don't think he has said yet exactly where he hid it, or explained how the clues he set pointed to the location.

Message 5 of 45
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

As I understand it, it's the guy who hid the treasure who has announced that it's been found. But I don't think he has said yet exactly where he hid it, or explained how the clues he set pointed to the location.

Right.  And the finder is, likewise, staying quiet.  All this is assuming, of course, that there was a treasure, that it has been found, etc.   Who knows?

Message 6 of 45
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Here's the poem:

As I have gone alone in there
And with my treasures bold,
I can keep my secret where,
And hint of riches new and old.

Begin it where warm waters halt
And take it in the canyon down,
Not far, but too far to walk.
Put in below the home of Brown.

From there it's no place for the meek,
The end is ever drawing nigh;
There'll be no paddle up your creek,
Just heavy loads and water high.

If you've been wise and found the blaze,
Look quickly down, your quest to cease,
But tarry scant with marvel gaze,
Just take the chest and go in peace.

So why is it that I must go
And leave my trove for all to seek?
The answers I already know,
I've done it tired, and now I'm weak.

So hear me all and listen good,
Your effort will be worth the cold.
If you are brave and in the wood
I give you title to the gold.

So it's obvious, then!

Message 7 of 45
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Under a canopy of stars"  (Move over Emily Dickinson).

Message 8 of 45
latest reply

I have actually sold him antique NA artifacts in Santa Fe years ago., the guy is the real deal. With his money, he could afford to put together another 50 of those treasure boxes filled with the same quality of loot. In the NA world he is highly regarded. My only complaint as I said in the title, I didn't find it. I imagine it was a fun process for him to go through. 😀

Message 9 of 45
latest reply

Well, he reminds me of Grand Guy Grand.

Message 10 of 45
latest reply

That's fine. You have to understand though that in that world, which surprisingly is very different than the ebay chat boards, the dealers and collectors that have been successfully involved for years seem to be decent people, but the snakes & charlatans get the boot quite quickly as word gets out of their misdeeds.

I just thought that it was a cool story that people on the chat board might not have caught on the news.

Message 11 of 45
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

That's fine. You have to understand though that in that world, which surprisingly is very different than the ebay chat boards, the dealers and collectors that have been successfully involved for years seem to be decent people, but the snakes & charlatans get the boot quite quickly as word gets out of their misdeeds.

I just thought that it was a cool story that people on the chat board might not have caught on the news.

It is a cool story.  And if he was pulling a Grand Guy Grand, it's still a cool story.  Grand Guy Grand happens to be one of my favorite fictional people.  Nothing in his pranks caused lasting harm, and most caused no harm at all.  They were always good for a  laugh and an insight into human nature.

But if you're asking me to not be skeptical, I can't do that, in this or in any other story involving large amounts of money and secrets to be taken to the grave. 

Message 12 of 45
latest reply

My words are worth nothing then, next time I'll save them.

Message 13 of 45
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

My words are worth nothing then, next time I'll save them.

I am sorry, Sonoma.  I do not understand why you are in such a huff over this. 

It's a cool story.  I'm glad you posted it.  I went off and read several newpaper accounts, including one about some loony woman who is demanding to know who the finder is so she can sue him because, by golly, that treasure was hers, and she had practically figured out all the clues, and someone must have hacked into her computer... Seriously.  I've even been to Fenn's website in the past, when some research led me there.  So, the whole thing has definitely been my entertainment for the day.

But after all the years of back-and-forth with me, you have to know that I am innately cautious, and experience has only made me more so. 

Message 14 of 45
latest reply

"None of the news stories really explain how the clues led to the treasure."

It was found just a few days ago, I would think te finder is letting things settle a bit. It a bit like winning the lottery where you have to pay taxes instantly and this, where all the gains (gold, rubies, artifacts) are fluid and will be entered into the record when they file their taxes.

I'll bet there is a book from the finder explaining their search when the time is right.

Message 15 of 45
latest reply