cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Treasure chest found, but not by me :(

44 REPLIES 44

(But after all the years of back-and-forth with me, you have to know that I am innately cautious,) but in those same years you do know me to not be a liar. Whadda think, I'm the president?

Message 16 of 45
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

(But after all the years of back-and-forth with me, you have to know that I am innately cautious,) but in those same years you do know me to not be a liar. Whadda think, I'm the president?

Heavens!  I didn't suggest you are a liar.   Or are a politician.  But, I repeat myself.  😄

Message 17 of 45
latest reply

No, it's all good. I'm just ticked that they won't put me thru to the president. 🤔

Message 18 of 45
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

"None of the news stories really explain how the clues led to the treasure."

It was found just a few days ago, I would think te finder is letting things settle a bit. It a bit like winning the lottery where you have to pay taxes instantly and this, where all the gains (gold, rubies, artifacts) are fluid and will be entered into the record when they file their taxes.

I'll bet there is a book from the finder explaining their search when the time is right.

I was just thinking that it would be for the hider to explain how the clues he set pointed to a specific location. The finder might never explain or publish anything (why should they?). I feel the hider really owes it to the people who have been searching to explain the correct solution to the puzzle that he set.

Message 19 of 45
latest reply

Argon: "None of the news stories really explain how the clues led to the treasure."

You know how these old people operate, bunch of slackards. You mention that you need milk, coffee and an artichoke and six hours later you get two string beans, coffee creamer, and "what was that third thing?

I would think the news media will be right on the case once the hider reveals that information. But if he is following his past behavior I would think it will come out in book form and you know that publishing a book does not happen overnight. In the meantime, have you written to Mr. Fenn to ask?

Message 20 of 45
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

...  I would think the news media will be right on the case once the hider reveals that information.  But if he is following his past behavior I would think it will come out in book form and you know that publishing a book does not happen overnight.  In the meantime, have you written to Mr. Fenn to ask?

In all the several articles I read, Fenn made a point of saying that the location will go with him to the grave;  ergo, he doesn't intend to publish the solution to his puzzle.  Perhaps he can be persuaded to relent, though.

Message 21 of 45
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

...  I would think the news media will be right on the case once the hider reveals that information.  But if he is following his past behavior I would think it will come out in book form and you know that publishing a book does not happen overnight.  In the meantime, have you written to Mr. Fenn to ask?

In all the several articles I read, Fenn made a point of saying that the location will go with him to the grave;  ergo, he doesn't intend to publish the solution to his puzzle.  Perhaps he can be persuaded to relent, though.

I think he meant if nobody found the treasure before his death, it would remain buried forever. I really can't see why he wouldn't want to reveal the location or explain the clues now that it's been found. If he expects disappointed treasure hunters to buy another book in order to get the solution then I suspect people are going to be annoyed.

Message 22 of 45
latest reply

I didn't read that. Argon, write that letter!

Maybe the lands that had to be crossed to get to the treasure were private and he is trying to protect landowners.

Maybe the finder will write a book via a ghostwriter.

Message 23 of 45
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

I think he meant if nobody found the treasure before his death, it would remain buried forever...

Ah, that could be. 

I've read that he says he makes no money from the sale of the books.  I dont know if that would be because he donates profits to charity, or that he prices the books just to ccver production and distribution costs.   (Of course, that does not address their value as promotional.)

Message 24 of 45
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

I've read that he says he makes no money from the sale of the books.

I know the feeling.

Message 25 of 45
latest reply

Very cool but I find this part sad and not worth what he did. I think after people started dying maybe it should have been called off but maybe that is all part of the game, I dunno. Sounds like where he put it was very treacherous for people to look?

Wikipedia; Deaths. Five people have died while searching for the treasure. In 2017, the chief of the New Mexico State Police, Pete Kassetas, publicly implored Fenn to end the treasure hunt, stating "He's putting lives at risk." Randy Bilyeu went missing in January 2016 and was found dead in July.
Message 26 of 45
latest reply

"a 24-line poem inviting adventure seekers to search for the 13th-century Romanesque bronze chest and its valuable contents."

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/treasure-discovered-rocky-mountains-1881264 

So... who thinks this is a 13th-century chest?

fenn002_custom-ca367ccbd6a0996ec1319bd47ce8b5edb48ea0d6-923x1024

Message 27 of 45
latest reply

It may be 13th century style but not of the period. I did notice that replicas have been cast and we don't know for certain that the picture of the chest and contents is the actual chest & contents. I own a scarce few bits from the 12th thru the 16th centuries and have studied early items for quite a while and can say the chest you show is 99% not period.

In all the pics of the chest there is one that looks older than all the rest but even that is not 13th cent unless it sat undisturbed and untouched all those years. Even things that just sit however show hints to age. From an early article.I had thought all along that it was made of wood!

Message 28 of 45
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

...we don't know for certain that the picture of the chest and contents is the actual chest & contents...  

But it does say the photo of the "13th-century Romanesque bronze chest" is "Courtesy of Forrest Fenn," so most readers would think it's the chest in question, photographed before it was hidden.  If it isn't, Fenn should have made that clearer when he provided the photo for the article.  Of course, maybe he did and the writer ignored him.

Message 29 of 45
latest reply

Thanks, I had read before this broke that it was two deaths but you are quoting Wikipedia, not always correct. It is sad that two people have died in pursuit of a dream. What I find sad on a much grander scale are the deaths from our country not taking the pandemic seriously and countless thousands of our cherished grandparents lost to Covid19.

Message 30 of 45
latest reply