cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sports Cards - Item Cost vs Shipping cost

I see numerous listings where people are selling single sports cards for .99 and offering free shipping. How can they do that- or better yet, how can I do that? If I offer free shipping on a .99 cent card I am out the cost of a sleeve, top loader, bubble mailer, and $3.00 shipping cost.

Am I doing something wrong?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Sports Cards - Item Cost vs Shipping cost

Been trying to figure out myself....maybe they think they can make it up in volume!! lol
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

The only thing I can figure is using those negative sales as deductions. By losing $20 per sale for handling, you would quickly have quite a pile of dough to deduct when doing your taxes. At least that is how IMA Crook tax preparation services explains it.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

They ship it by stamp and risk item not received claims.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

So .49 cent stamp on a white envelope with no tracking. That makes sense - but like you said - risky.

Thanks- appreciate the help

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

- ebay fees =...

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

It still would not mean a profit even without tracking etc.

No, it doesn't make sense. But for every one of those calculator challenged sellers that go broke there are a dozen behind them.

The same goes for 99 cent hardcover books with free shipping. 

Or magazines shipped illegally using media mail.

There are things like that on eBay that are real head scratchers. Never will make sense and you cannot compete with it unless you like losing money. Personally I think throwing money out of the car window as I toodle down the highway would be easier. 

Radine

Message 7 of 7
latest reply