cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shako Helmet

I have this old shako helmet. I know nothing about . Could someone help me with the  age and value? Thank so much.20240102_162443.jpg20240102_162616.jpg

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Shako Helmet

No one here does valuations, but after it is identified yo will be able to find comparables to help you decide its potential market value.

I do not have the time now to research, but this is what others may wish to use to begin -- this is the label inside the hat, enlarged, rotated into the proper orientation, and sharpened up a bit -- the best I could do without a lot more work.  The numerals one and nine (in the date 3-21-93) are written in the European fashion.

20240102_162616.jpg

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Thank you so much.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

It looks like there's a copyright written in the lower right, but too small to make out.  

Rita

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@melda58 wrote:

It looks like there's a copyright written in the lower right, but too small to make out.  

Rita

You know, it sort of looked like that to me, too, which would make me wonder just what this really is, or how old it really is.  But, like all the rest of the label, it is just not clear enough for me to read. 

-

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I don't know how to enlarge it.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Maybe you could tell us what is written in the lower right corner of the label?  

Rita

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I think it says ornamental.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Unfamiliar with this other than the movie, Terrified me when I was a kid. The central motif on the helmet indicates a bomb squad or similar I believe.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Thank you.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Based on the flaming bomb insignia, it is a Grenadier or Infantry shako.  The colors of the cockade would indicate the country.  They appear to be red/white/green.  If the center is actually blue, it is likely French.  If it is green, it gets a little tricky as there were a ton of smaller Countries and Principalities that used French style gear in the 1800's.  The label also calls it a Model 1815.  If it is French, that is the year that Napoleon was exiled and the French Army replaced all of their Imperial style insignia with simpler designs.  I know they used the flaming bomb at least until WWI, when it was still used on infantry helmets.  However, this insignia saw wide use in many places.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply