cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking advice on a photograph WWII militaria

Found this photograph in a old book, that is what it appears, it has the silver like shine when in the light...It is stamped Director of Propoganda Cairo? interesting note typed on back...Any idea what this is? If it has any value? I thought maybe someone could date it with the firearm in it..please and thank you!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

And you're not going to share with us what the "interesting note" typed on the back says?  Or provide us with a photograph of the name and address that also appears on the back?

Debora

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

The interesting note was the tight written part that is attached to the back of the picture which I thought was interesting. I thought you could read it in the picture but it says training for jungle warfare will play an important part in future operations and Burma Kayla and the Pacific Islands British and Indian troops in India are training for the special type of warfare it is very rough going but they know they are preparing for a tough job jungle. The person whose name is on the back I do not know this was from an estate that was sold as a whole there wasn't very much in there I got some old books this just happen to be in it I thought it odd that it had to stamp of the director of propaganda in Cairo, hence the reason I was just wondering if this was anything unique

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Well, I can see some of the words, including "dense jungle", and those and other words I can see do not correspond with what you have written as being the text.  

And whether or not you happen to know the person it was addressed to is immmaterial,  but seeing the name address could be clues for others. 

I guess I don't get the rules of this new game.  

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I used my moms ebay account on my phone, oh my....but that was my response...I do not anything about the person, house had basically been closed for years...a young couple have bought the home...to restore it...it was like a time capsule, there were some old newspapers from 1943...this intrigues me..I search the internet..but have yet to find something...thinking a military buff would know,,,:)
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

It looks to be a press photo issued by the British Directorate of Propaganda in Cairo - note that the stamp says "Directorate," not "Director." I imagine it dates from WWII or shortly after (I don't know when it was wound up). It's interesting and could certainly do with some more research, but I'd be surprised if it proves to be of any great value - see here:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/401423800261?clk_rvr_id=1490507062616&rmvSB=true

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

I imagine it dates from WWII or shortly after

Come to think of it, it must of course be WWII (and not "shortly after"), given the reference to upcoming campaigns in Burma and the Pacific islands. But where is/was "Kayla"?

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

That is a good question ? Kayla....hummm I appreciate the all the answers....It just needs a home...I will look for Kayla....

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Maybe Kalay Airport (VYKL)

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@newnewnewmannwrote:

Maybe Kalay Airport (VYKL)

I think you've got it! Amazing. Not the airport as such, but the town:

"During the Second World War, Kalay was an important regrouping point for the British during their retreat from Burma in 1942 because of the relatively easier access to India along the Manipur River (the alternative was to march through malarial forests from Kalewa to Tamu)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalay

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

How interesting! thank you all for your information....I wonder if these pics were just sent to help the war effort ? To say the least, the photo needs a home....I do not collect things like this...just was in a old book, along with some newspapers from 1943....thank you all for the information....

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

It is essentially a press office photo from the British Govt in Egypt
Although Egypt was independent as of 1922 the British maintained War offices there through WWII
This photo would have been released to newspapers
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Thank you...It would be a nice added collectible to someones collection...I am going to list it...at least I have some information as to describe it...A piece of history in a sort....The ebay discussion forums are awesome...

Message 13 of 13
latest reply