cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is “ original bookplate print”?

Hi,

can someone tell me what an original bookplate print is? Would that be a page torn from a book? Or a print of a page from a book? I like an item w that description but not sure i want to spend $$ on a repro print from a book. Thanks! 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@yooner-ama wrote:
Its on ebay. The seller has many original bookplate prints from this particular artist
Robert Broderson

OK.  So I found the listings.  No useful info at all.  Nothing to tell you what you're getting.   Not even dimensions.  Ask the seller what the things are, if you don't mind doing business with someone that slapdash.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

With that rather vague information from you, I guess I'd take it to mean that the bookplate is custom designed, made, printed.  If it's in a book you'll find that sometimes a bookplate adds value to a book, and sometimes it reduces the value.  It all depends on the book and on the bookplate. 

Some people collect bookplates, sans the books.

I'm assuming you know what a bookplate is: A sort of  owner's label that's pasted inside a book, with a pretty design, the owner's name, and often the words "Ex Libris" ("from the library"), like these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bookplate&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiu6bzPh6baAhXFq1kKHUM...

But maybe you're talking about something else altogether, not a bookplate at all.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Is it listed on ebay?

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Its on ebay. The seller has many original bookplate prints from this particular artist
Robert Broderson
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Ask the seller what they understand it to mean.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@yooner-ama wrote:
Robert Broderson

OK.  So I found the listings.  No useful info at all.  Nothing to tell you what you're getting.   Not even dimensions.  Ask the seller what the things are, if you don't mind doing business with someone that slapdash.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

The listings I found with "original bookplate print" are from a seller in UK and refer to plates of printed engravings or gravures that were removed from a book according to the description.  So not bookplates but book plates.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1881-original-bookplate-print-Keeley-Halswelle-ARSA-Fenland-Fens-landscape/...

Rita

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

No, that is not the listing because OP said it is for work by Robert Broderson.  Here's one of the listings:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Robert-Broderson-Drawing-Animal-Vtg-Bookplate-Art-Print/182121926181?h...

OP said they are "bookplates" by "Robert Boderson" and an advanced search brought up that one and all these by the same seller:

https://www.ebay.com/dsc/i.html?_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sa...

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

I came across one site selling artists' prints which insists that the term "bookplate print" properly refers to art used as bookplates, and which rails against eBay sellers who use it to describe pages torn from books. But the phrase itself seems kind of odd and equivocal. Anyway, a good seller should be happy to clarify exactly what it is they are offering, and if they're reluctant to do so for any reason then people can draw their own conclusions.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Oh ok.  I just put "original bookplate print" in the search box and that's what popped up.  The listings in your links are for 9 x 12 inch plates from books so I guess that 's what the OP is looking for, and not bookplates as we generally use the term.  

Rita

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Where to do you find the dimensions in those listings?  I looked and looked and there are no item specifics and the entire description for each is:  "Up For Sale is a vintage bookplate art print: Robert Broderson.  Drawing: [title].  Year: 19[XX]."   I find no other description.  I guess I'm blinder than I thought.  Smiley Sad

I mean, I don't think they're bookplates, either, but I couldn't say so from that description, or say what they may be.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

Anyway, a good seller should be happy to clarify exactly what it is they are offering, and if they're reluctant to do so for any reason then people can draw their own conclusions.

In fairness, I see the seller in question has been on eBay since 2002 and has 100% positive feedback. I feel sure a query from the OP would resolve any uncertainty.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@argon38 wrote:

Anyway, a good seller should be happy to clarify exactly what it is they are offering, and if they're reluctant to do so for any reason then people can draw their own conclusions.

In fairness, I see the seller in question has been on eBay since 2002 and has 100% positive feedback. I'm sure a query from the OP would resolve any uncertainty.

I agree.  And I think OP agrees.  This secondary discussion is the result of Rita seeing things I just cannot find.  Frustrating.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

I agree.  And I think OP agrees.  This secondary discussion is the result of Rita seeing things I just cannot find.  Frustrating.

I can see the dimensions too. Are you viewing the listing on a phone?

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@maxine*j wrote:

I can see the dimensions too. Are you viewing the listing on a phone?

No, but your asking gave me an idea.  I just temporarily suspended one security setting and -- bingo!  Scroll bar works, and I now see the rest of the description, including the dimensions.  Whew!  I'm neither blind nor barmy!  

Message 15 of 22
latest reply