cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oil on canvas, quite large. No signature.

20231012_164110.jpg

20231012_164138.jpg

20231012_164117.jpg

  Purchased this at a great local auction house, No signature. The plaque on the woman's chest has a word I can't seem to make it out, I purchased it because the subject matter felt so dark, at first glance it doesn't seem... as kind of terrible as it truly is. Any ideas as to origin? 

20231012_164016.jpg

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Oil on canvas, quite large. No signature.

YOU. ARE. AMAZING.  

Message 16 of 36
latest reply

Thank you that was my next question too. What exactly do i have here? Is it...something? 

Message 17 of 36
latest reply

@collectorheaven wrote:

Thank you that was my next question too. What exactly do i have here? Is it...something? 

As @maeday76 mentioned, a monochromatic painting is known as a grisaille (pronounced gree-SIGH).

A grisaille was typically used as an underlayer, and would be covered by a thin layer of colored oils. This was a classical oil painting technique.

https://www.jeffhayes.com/techniques-of-painting/the-grisaille-underpainting/

Message 18 of 36
latest reply

Thank you yes the explanation was absolutely extraordinary. That someone would take the time out of their day to research something that I have not been able to get any movement on for months is just amazing to me and I'm so grateful. The canvas is very thick, I'm not sure if you saw the photos of the back of the canvas,  it has definitely seen some things. I am wondering what my next step should be, If I have something here that is even the tiniest bit valuable,  I of course will treat it differently.  I will post back if I find something else out or if I am able to sell it, What a great group of people. 

Message 19 of 36
latest reply

@collectorheaven 

Looking at the edges and back of the canvas, it doesn't look like it has ever been mounted on stretcher boards, which would be expected for a traditional oil painting. They were usually painted on stretched canvas, or board.

Unfortunately, a painting on an unmounted canvas usually indicates that the painting is a so-called "factory painting", which started being produced in the mid-20th century.

Message 20 of 36
latest reply

It looks like it has been removed from something, small nail marks, It has been remounted on a single length of wood at the top it appears at once someone took it off or out of whatever it was in they hung it instead of something else.  There is a very definitive There is a very definitive Contrast in 3 inches All the way around the perimeter. Didn't actually notice it when I sent the first photos.  I have contacted a few different places in New York, We are in Manhattan quite often, I think I'm going to take it with me the next time I go someone can have a look of it in real life. I just like it it was kind of dark definitely interesting and I definitely should have probably stored it a little better. 🙄

16973013166657399118639036351850.jpg

16973012232381309650905237595384.jpg

Message 21 of 36
latest reply

@collectorheaven wrote:

It looks like it has been removed from something, small nail marks, It has been remounted on a single length of wood at the top...

I see staple marks around the edges of the canvas, but there are no marks that indicate it has ever been mounted on stretcher boards, which would have been the case for a non-factory-produced painting. Sorry.

Message 22 of 36
latest reply

No worries.   I'm headed down on the train at the end of the week, Can't hurt to have a checked out. The size alone makes it fascinating. Thank you for your responses, It's been interesting.

Message 23 of 36
latest reply

Well, I think it's a study by someone who admired Zichy's work. There's no chance in my mind that Zichy's hand ever touched this sailcloth. It's not anywhere near the level of execution you'd expect to see from a painter of his caliber. Until I saw the genesis work, I thought there was a chance of it being a cartoon (look it up, y'all, it's not Disney.) But after seeing the origin work, I have no doubt that this is a study-in-the-style-of Zichy. For what purpose, I can only imagine. 

Message 24 of 36
latest reply

This is a bad copy, it's probably a student work or worse; for a school play. When an accomplished artist lays down a study in preparation for a finished work they use the same trained hand/technique they will be using for the final work.  They don't forget how to draw along the way. Plus, the canvas is wrong.

Message 25 of 36
latest reply

The first thing I noticed is the badly proportioned arms and hands so that's why I said I thought it amateurish.  

Rita

Message 26 of 36
latest reply

That's right, after 30/40 years of looking at paintings you notice at first glance if it is worthy of a second look.  It's like if your child walked by, you instantly go "HEY!" but if not her you go "jeez, looks just like her".

Message 27 of 36
latest reply

I wanted to add that it's a nice period looking piece but don't get hung up on it.

Message 28 of 36
latest reply

I wanted to add that there is a sub-set of collectors that collect unframed paintings and pin them to the wall like painters did in the 18th/19th cent just to get that old look.

Message 29 of 36
latest reply

I didn't realize people were still commenting, I'm going to read on  the canvas first I think that's a good place to start.  There are a few really good textile experts in Albany, as well as the city so I've made a few calls.  They will examine it for free, So you can't beat that. I purchased it because I liked it, Still like it regardless of from where or when. I tucked it away many months ago and forgot about it, I rediscovered it doing a clean out, and I'm taking advantage of my renewed interest.  I  got it for steal,  and I like the process of identification.   Thank you to all who were helpful, I get any information I will reach out to you because you showed a genuine interest. 

Message 30 of 36
latest reply