cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oil on canvas, quite large. No signature.

20231012_164110.jpg

20231012_164138.jpg

20231012_164117.jpg

  Purchased this at a great local auction house, No signature. The plaque on the woman's chest has a word I can't seem to make it out, I purchased it because the subject matter felt so dark, at first glance it doesn't seem... as kind of terrible as it truly is. Any ideas as to origin? 

20231012_164016.jpg

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I didn't realize people were still commenting, I'm going to read on  the canvas first I think that's a good place to start.  There are a few really good textile experts in Albany, as well as the city so I've made a few calls.  They will examine it for free, So you can't beat that. I purchased it because I liked it, Still like it regardless of from where or when. I tucked it away many months ago and forgot about it, I rediscovered it doing a clean out, and I'm taking advantage of my renewed interest.  I  got it for steal,  and I like the process of identification.   Thank you to all who were helpful, I get any information I will reach out to you because you showed a genuine interest. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 30 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

It looks very amateurish to me and to read the plaque we'd need a close up.  

Rita

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

Any way you could show a good close up of the edge where paint meets raw canvas? Doesn't look like an oil but the subject is interesting 

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

Yes, I will take additional.  Canvas is extraordinarily thick.  Thanks for your speedy reply. 

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

Enlarge #3.  I have put what I think it is into Google and have come up with nothing, Perhaps I'm just seeing the letters incorrectly, Or maybe not. Seems too prominent to be just gibberish..but who knows?  And yes, certainly not a  Rembrant,  It definitely has a particular style,  I purchased it because it was different. 

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

It may not be English.  If you could show a close up of just the plaque, someone might know.

Rita

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

This nay help someone:

20231012_164117.jpg

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

Thank you maxine! Not home to do so. Lifesaver. 😃

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

may be come from The Bible "the book of revelation"  chapter 17- 18

18:2  With a mighty voice he shouted: "Fallen! Fallen is Babylon the Great! She has become a home for demons and a haunt for every evil spirit, a haunt for every unclean and detestable bird.

i just feel Not necessarily right。😑

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

It says Heretic (poss. Heretici, lat. pl.) and I can't be sure, but it looks like the auto-de-fe of a particular martyr, saint or apostate. Likely the figure over her is a saint in the act of protecting her from the flames...but the clenched fist is an unusual element. As to the other figures, I really can't see well enough. I'm not even 100% that it's a burning, but all the elements are seemingly there, so I'm assuming. It almost looks like a shipwreck "raft" painting, like The raft of the Medusa.

The imagery smacks of mannerist works of approx. 1600s, and the label of "Heretic" (if it's not heretici) in English leads me to think it may be based on an original work depicting the persecution of Catholics during Henry VIII/Elizabeth I's reign. If I'm seeing it wrong and it's actually the Latin plural heretici, then all bets are off regarding place of origin. It could be based on a work from anywhere in Europe.  

I'm sure it's specifically about the woman pictured - (and the propaganda value of her demise.) There are probably 60-70 English female martyrdom candidates of the era. The saint above her would also be a specific Catholic figure, as well.  Assuming he's not an irate sports fan or an overly-caffeinated Jesus. 

I would call this a work in grisaille, and is perhaps a study (cartoon) for a larger, color painting. That one probably has a signature. 

Hope this helps. 

M

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

looks like heretic

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

Well, I have an answer for you. It's a study after Mihály Zichy's 1868 painting, see below:

Screenshot_20231013-230541.png

Screenshot_20231013-230523~2.png

Screenshot_20231013-230320~2.png

Yay! Result! 

It's not going to be something you can retire on, but depending on the size and (lack of) damage, it could be interesting to the right demographic.  

Thanks for the fun research opportunity. 

Cheers. 

M

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

Your answer is great!😀

I have a question: What’s going on with the black and white painting by the poster?Is it a painter's draft?

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

20231014_100936.jpg

20231014_100947.jpg

20231014_100956.jpg

  It's a bit thick on some of the areas there's a lot of texture to it.

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

Thank you so so much for taking the time to answer so comprehensively. I am filled with gratitude, You have given me a place to start.

Message 15 of 36
latest reply