cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help to identify an old tool.

I bought this syringe-like tool on a flea market.

Any idea what this device could be used for.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Need help to identify an old tool.

There are no markings. 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

My best guess is a device used to squirt a tiny bit of machine oil into tiny places? Much like the straw which now comes with a can of WD40 before the straw was an idea. 

That's all I can think of - maybe someone else will come along with another idea.

Good luck with this.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

that seems logical. A device to get small amounts of whatever into tight spaces.

Is it stainless steel? Does it have any odor of any kind?  Looks like it could have been or is a very specialized tool.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

It looks a lot like an antique dental irrigation syringe, so that might be worth researching, too.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Thanks maxine*j, you may be right, but I think it's more like a suction syringe because the spring pushes the piston back automatically. I found one such photo on the net, but the explanation was just a dental syringe sprung return.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@rayjass wrote:

Thanks maxine*j, you may be right, but I think it's more like a suction syringe because the spring pushes the piston back automatically. I found one such photo on the net, but the explanation was just a dental syringe sprung return.

I'm a little confused.  Don't all syringes have a suction function?  Isn't the purpose of any syringe to uptake fluid and then expel it? 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

yes, antique dental syringe

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Oh yeah. That's it, but I think about the purpose of using this device. Its appearance does not make me think that it can be sterilized and used to inject fluid into the mouth or dental cavities! If it is a dental device at all, it would be a suction device.
And yet it is the piston sight that makes me think that it has been used for other purposes - perhaps for oiling machine parts. I do not know.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I suggested research along the line of an old dental syringe and your research makes you think it is not one.  I don''t have any other ideas. 

Since  any syringe can be used for multiple purposes, regardless of its original market, you could just list it as a "stainless steel spring-loaded syringe" and be done with it.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

My first thought was that looks like the syringe my dentist uses to administer the numbing stuff on back side of teeth. Only he uses a much cleaner one ;}

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I would bet this is nickle plated and not stainless

Message 13 of 13
latest reply