cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Knitting or crochet needle help with what year

Got this from estate sale years ago put it in a box and forgot about it til the other day. Can some help me with the year and what it's made of. There is a pat jun 29 can't make out the last 2 numbers. I do know that the lady was from Germany and her husband was from Peru.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Knitting or crochet needle help with what year

Not knitting needle - the end is a crochet hook

Is the hooked part wood and the handle part a metal ?

If they say "Pat'd"  in Germany then perhaps it is German but my gut says American vintage. Could be 40s / 50s / 60s but I am not an expert by any means - just a hobby knitter /crocheter

The patent my just be for the combination wood/metal because the form is certainly classic crochet hook

jules

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

As noted above, it's a crochet hook.  They come with hooks in different sizes but the design itself doesn't change.  Most are plastic or metal.  Can't tell from photographs but yours appears to be a combination of something + something.   Patent numbers are issued sequentially if you really want to narrow date down.  But, for most purposes, I imagine "vintage" would do.

Debora

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

It says "PAT'D JUN. 29 80" (= June 29, 1880). That's when the design was patented, not necessarily the year of manufacture. Patented by Edward P. Haff (US229402). If you take out the stopper thing at the end, you should find a finer needle hidden inside!

"The advantages... are that fine and coarse needles are combined in a simple manner, thus permitting any kind of work to be made with my improved needle."

http://docs.google.com/viewer?url=patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/US229402.pdf

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for your help.

Look infro up it some type of bone he made his out of ivory,bone,rubber,celluloid,wood.  Trying to fine out about how much is worth. I have just started selling a little on eBay. So there is a lot that I have to learn.l once again thanks for the help

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

You're welcome. Sorry I can't help more with it, but crochet isn't really my thing!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply