cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jar Set Mark TI 86 ?

Can someone help to I'd what Thes Stoneware Jar Se20221113_132025_HDR.jpg20221113_132112_HDR.jpg20221113_124226_HDR.jpg20221113_131902_HDR.jpg20221113_124314_HDR.jpg20221113_124258_HDR.jpg20221113_124433_HDR.jpg20221113_132113_HDR.jpgt Mark TI 86? Thanks

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Jar Set Mark TI 86 ?

Not half bad intermediate hand thrown & glazed signed studio pots. 2nd year student work.  The only one that has any visual reason for purchase is the one with the black swoosh. The other two should go in the guest bath for soaps or on the back deck to catch beer caps. 

The good one is Shoji Hamada/Bernard Leach influenced. Those names should be used very carefully. "In the style of" "inspired by" you get it. 

I believe that's ones a tenmoku glaze, but I have been out of the game for an eon. 

In my last reply on a different post, a minute ago, I mentioned that the foot is often a good litmus test of a strong potter and desirable work. A clean foot rim,  confident mark, glaze that reaches where it should (see the bottom of the lg blue one, the glaze is short and shaggy) and a balanced "seat" are good starting points when in doubt. 

Best of luck. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

your information helped me a lot. thank you for your direction Iam studying both artists you mentioned. Wishing you a blessed Thanksgiving.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I dunno, I think you might be being led down a rabbit hole here. I had two authenticated  Hamada pieces (in wooden boxes)  about 30 years ago and have followed that market ever since. I think what you have are glaze test pots as shown from American kilns, by the numbers on the bottoms. I wouldn't use those high powered names anywhere near your listings or you may get hammered by ebay rules. Happy Thanksgiving.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 I completely agree with the move to NOT include those names in anything but the full-length description on the one "brushed" pot. Not in the title, not in the item specifics. And nowhere near either of the other pots. 

Even then, I'd hesitate to invoke the kiln god's wrath. 

I mentioned those artists (Hamada & Leach) so OP could have a basis for comparison for searching, glaze & style references.

Warren MacKenzie is another name that has similar build/glaze elements, and should also just be a yardstick. 

Apologies for any confusion. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply