cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking for advice on provenance taped on teapot.

16695765453651098950954245118193.jpg

16695765920452043094281911046876.jpg

 I bought this adorable tea kettle about 8 years ago. I doesn't have any scratches, stains inside or dents. As you can see this note was taped to the bottom and remains there. If my calculations are correct, this would date 102 years old.

So my question is: would you leave it? Remove it entirely or remove it and place it inside of kettle?

Thanks, Silver

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I would leave it exactly as it is.  That provenance is part of its charm, and the kettle's age is part of its appeal and a selling point.  If the buyer wants to use the kettle instead of just displaying it, let him remove the label.

-

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I would leave it exactly as it is.  That provenance is part of its charm, and the kettle's age is part of its appeal and a selling point.  If the buyer wants to use the kettle instead of just displaying it, let him remove the label.

-

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Leave it!  If you remove it there may be a "ghost" - a lighter strip where the tape was.  It provides provenance as Maxine points out.  

Rita

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes 

It appears that there is another note under that one.

Perhaps to someone else before the note to Jan ?

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@silverstatetreasureboxes 

It appears that there is another note under that one...

I think so, too, and that's another reason for leaving things as they are.  Let the buyer decide what he wants to do with it -- use it, leave it just as it is, try to remove the top label in such a way as to preserve the one beneath it.

-

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@maxine*j 

@buyselljack2016 

There is another message as I did look, I'm going to leave it alone. If I start to peel that tape I'm afraid everything will come off. I didn't even wash the bottom before I posted here.

Much thanks for everyone's comments and advice,  your all the best!

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I would leave that... To me, that is a major plus.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@spark-chaser1 

Thanks spark, yes I'm going to leave it. Normally I wouldn't even question a provenance left on an item but this was a teapot/kettle so I'm glad I came here first. Thank you for your imput.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I collect militaria. I have items that in themselves, are " dime a dozen". 

In that collection, is a pine cone. It has a note stuck to it that explains that it was a pine cone from the Civil War battle of seven pines, and that a writer of the note, picked it up as a souvenir of the battle and carried it for good luck until he was discharged.

Lose that note, its just a pine cone... 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I also vote to leave as is. 

Couple things.

1. The handwriting is EXACTLY the same as my grandmother's, and she was born in the 19 'teens. So, I am very inclined to believe the note AND keep it out of historical interest. 

2. You may be able to see the note underneath this one by hitting it with a blacklight. If the ink is the same, you probably won't get a contrast, but if it is different, there's a chance it will show up. 

3. Could you post what the label says? I can't quite tell how it reads and I want to know! 

Cheers, @silverstatetreasureboxes 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@maeday76 

Sure Mae, here ya go.

20221128_185049.jpg

 Apparently the author lived in Alpena ( could be Michigan) and worked in a garment factory. I liked it because of the jadeite color and I have a huge collection of jadeite. I was leaning on selling it as I was cleaning out my kitchen of treasures galore.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply