cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this Limoges China? No Brand marking just a number.

Found these small bowls and have searched for the but can only compare them to Limoges China.  I don't want to list them as such is they are nnot.  Need help.  They have a 696 or 969 (depending n which way yoou hold the dish) marking on the back.  That is the only ID mark .  Thanks 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Is this Limoges China? No Brand marking just a number.

I rather doubt if any of the many companies in Limoges would not have signed their work.  I suspect the decoration is the work of a studio using blank porcelains that could be from one of the Limoges companies, or German or Japanese.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

They do appear to be hand painted, but could be hobbiest work. The 696/969 mark on the back is likely the mould number of the blank.  Hand painting of china was a popular pastime from late 1800's up until about the 1930's.  There were many talented people hand painting purchased blanks, they were often initialed or signed on the front or back.

I think you would be going out on a limb to describe them as Limoges, even if the blanks were produced in Limoges, they were usually  stamped with the name of the factory that made them.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thank you, I appreciate your advice.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Would you describe as Vintage Hand Painted China?
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thank you so much.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Probably safe to describe them as vintage. There is a similar set with seashell theme on Etsy now painted in 1970. Confirm hand painting first by examining with loupe, looking for brush strokes and absence of small 'dots', indicating a transfer.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply