cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identify Art Deco Nouveau Mirror Cleveland Museum of Art Signed SM

Great Mirror, DSC00273.JPGDSC00260.JPGDSC00265.JPGDSC00274.JPG  Wondering if anyone might know who the initials SM may stand for . The museum had a yearly exhibition starting in 1819 call the May Show which showcased local artists and craftsmen. Not sure if this is a vintage reproduction or an antique original 

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Here's the bottom  DSC00269.JPGs the bottom 

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

an antique original would not be signed cleveland museum

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's really got a great look to it, regardless of the who, when and where.  I think it could be a winner.

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

@md1919 wrote:

The Cleveland Museum opened in 1916 and therefore, an object created/crafted for the Museum around that time could be an antique.   From the Museum's website:

In 1919 the first “Annual Exhibition of Cleveland Artists & Craftsmen” was held. This exhibition soon became known as the May Show, and continued to showcase local artists for 73 years.

Rita

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

@melda58 wrote:

@md1919 wrote:

The Cleveland Museum opened in 1916 and therefore, an object created/crafted for the Museum around that time could be an antique.   From the Museum's website:

In 1919 the first “Annual Exhibition of Cleveland Artists & Craftsmen” was held. This exhibition soon became known as the May Show, and continued to showcase local artists for 73 years.

Rita

Agreed that if a piece dates from 1920 or earlier it is an antique, but it would not be the original work of art, which I think was the OP's question. 

Any piece marked as OP's is marked is a reproduction, probably not made for at least a year after it was exhibited.  (Takes awhile to determine which pieces are the winners, which pieces the general public might buy, which are suitable to cost-effective reproduction, and then work out the rights with the artist and get the thing into production, etc.)

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

@melda58 wrote:

@md1919 wrote:

Rita

Agreed that if a piece dates from 1920 or earlier it is an antique, but it would not be the original work of art, which I think was the OP's question. 

Any piece marked as OP's is marked is a reproduction, probably not made for at least a year after it was exhibited.  (Takes awhile to determine which pieces are the winners, which pieces the general public might buy, which are suitable to cost-effective reproduction, and then work out the rights with the artist and get the thing into production, etc.)

Unless it was crafted expressly for the Museum for the May show.  That's what I was thinking perhaps incorrectly. 

Rita

Message 7 of 33
latest reply

@melda58 wrote:

...Unless it was crafted expressly for the Museum for the May show.  That's what I was thinking perhaps incorrectly. 

Rita

It's possible, of course.  But based on how such things usually work, I'd say it's unlikely.

Anyhow, the letters following the museum name are  S M, not M S, so I'm not sure about the May Show idea at all.  

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

Two things: find out who/what SM is and a look into the archives.

Also, I'm having trouble reading the imprint where it says ...of Art...SM.

An in-focus shot of just that might help. There are letters in there that are hard to read.

Message 9 of 33
latest reply

I have trouble with that, too.

Cleveland Museum is clear.  And the word of  (circled) is clear.  Logically the next word after of  would be Art.   But I honestly can't say that it looks like the word "Art" or, for that matter, any other word.  Everything after the circled of  is unclear, at least to me.

DSC00274.JPG

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

-Here's a longshot...maybe rather than the artist's initials the SM  is the "Service Mark" abbreviation …the service protection possibly being for the reproduction of the original work.

-In any case, the CMA is still around. So if no one here can come up with a definitive answer; maybe you can try contacting them.

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

I grew up on a farm just 60 miles from Cleveland and don't remember seeing that mark.  🤔 All I remember is McCormick, John Deere, Massey Ferguson and Ford and McDonald's.

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

Seems right . Than a vintage reproduction ?

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

First result when you search for "table mirror" on the museum's website:

https://www.clevelandart.org/art/1977.168 

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

Do they mention the connection like why they reproduced it? I'm missing something. Did Tiffany make the reproduction? Spoiler I didn't' read it all.

Message 15 of 33
latest reply