cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help from the Rock Experts out there. Is this Quartz?

I got this natural Crystal Formation at an auction and I don't know much about rocks or how to describe this color so I couldn't find the name. Can you help?? Thanks in Advance.IMG_7814.JPGIMG_7815.JPGIMG_7816.JPGIMG_7819.JPGIMG_7821.JPG

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@cbotw27 wrote:

I got this natural Crystal Formation at an auction and I don't know much about rocks or how to describe this color so I couldn't find the name. Can you help?? Thanks in Advance.

Helpful tip:  You need to start by knowing the difference between a rock and a mineral.  Quartz is a mineral.  What you have there is a mineral.  (A rock is made up of one or more minerals, or mineral matter.)   You will never identify what you have by researching rocks.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

It looks to me like it may be orange calcite on Matrix. Are you on Reddit? They have a great board called, "What is this rock?".

I would ask them as there are many orange orange colored crystals that are similar looking. The experts may know from the matrix (the base it is attached to) and also the structure of the crystals.

Colors they would call this are Orange, Honey.

Good luck, let us know!

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Here is some more information on calcite and photos.

https://www.fossilera.com/minerals-for-sale/calcite

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

The reddit board is a great suggestion. You could also play around with the clever color search tool on this site:

https://www.mindat.org/colorwheel.php 

(First move the black circle on the outer ring, then the smaller black circle on the inner square.)

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

The reddit board is a great suggestion. You could also play around with the clever color search tool on this site:

https://www.mindat.org/colorwheel.php 

(First move the black circle on the outer ring, then the smaller black circle on the inner square.)

Of course there's a lot more to IDing a mineral than color, but it's still worth a look.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

If you are just going to be a stuck up condescending **bleep**, please don't respond. I obviously don't know what I am talking about thats why I posted it here. I don't need to be talked to like a child .

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for helping.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for your help.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@cbotw27 wrote:

If you are just going to be a stuck up condescending **bleep**, please don't respond. I obviously don't know what I am talking about thats why I posted it here. I don't need to be talked to like a child .

You may rest assured that I will respond to no more of your questions.  

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

The information Maxine provided was accurate and helpful. Not using "mineral" as a keyword would have greatly hampered your search. If you start off by saying you know little about a subject then you can't complain when people take you at your word and try to help out with the basics.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

That will get you to the head of the line! I thought I had somehow tapped into the Mary Kay cosmetics complaint forum.  In reading what Maxine wrote I think you would benefit by taking her advice.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Most welcome, I hope you find out what it is 🙂 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply