cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I bought these at a flea, ancient engraved steel plates

Didn't know if this board was still open 😄.  Aprox 13' x13" engraved steel plates. The lady I bought them from said they were 15/16th century. They are hand engraved with applied silver dots and inlaid with silver inlay. What I would like to know is what does the artwork portray? it looks right for that period. I believe they were used as medallions in a cabinet. Do the scenes ring any bells? Very hard to get good photos, will try again tomorrow. Thanks!plate1.jpgplate2.jpgplate3.jpgplate4.jpg

Message 1 of 182
latest reply
181 REPLIES 181

Re: I bought these at a flea, ancient engraved steel plates

In chapter one, first post,  Sonoma wrote "Very hard to get good photos,".

What did he mean?

In his second post, he posts a photo close up of a double headed eagle attached to the breastplate of the horse.

All of that is still true but further apologies for the not good photos.

Message 106 of 182
latest reply

No, there is a single photo of the back. I'll get a few more shots of the back if you think that will help.

Message 107 of 182
latest reply

Perhaps new glasses are in order.

Message 108 of 182
latest reply

The other plaque shows a man/king/emperor on a horse, and it looks as though he is wearing a sun in splendour at his throat, or on his upper chest, as a badge.

In English heraldry, there were a couple of kings of England who used the sun in splendour as a badge; Edward II (reigned from 1307 - 1327) and Edward IV (1461 - 1470, and 1471 - 1483). I don't know if there were any other kings/emperors/heros who might have used this badge as well, but they are the only two who are mentioned in wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_(heraldry)

This is pure speculation, but it's another avenue that could be explored. It might or might not turn out to be useful, or maybe there is someone else who could have been identified by the sun in splendour.

Message 109 of 182
latest reply

"if it is original or a later copy". $64,ooo question that one. 😁

Message 110 of 182
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

What did he mean?

In his second post, he posts a photo close up of a double headed eagle attached to the breastplate of the horse.

Oh, now I see it.

The double-headed eagle is on the breastplate of the horse, who is being ridden by the guy with the sun in splendour on his chest.

I would go with that guy, the horse rider, being a holy roman emperor, then. I don't know what the sun in splendour might mean, in that case. Maybe that could identify which emperor.

Message 111 of 182
latest reply

As the saying goes, ".. there is a lot to unpack here".       

I've tried to provide the best photos I can. One thing I've learned here is that taking tidy, crisp photos of domed acid etched steel is extremely difficult. I am truly sorry that some are having trouble with my efforts. I must have taken a hundred photos of these panels!  I appreciate all that have helped here.😃

Message 112 of 182
latest reply

I find it helpful to keep one of those 4" lens handheld magnifiers next to the monitor. Mine is one of those Dumbledore type ones with a horn handle. Sometimes things show up in there that I miss on screen.

Message 113 of 182
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:
I've tried to provide the best photos I can. One thing I've learned here is that taking tidy, crisp photos of domed acid etched steel is extremely difficult. I am truly sorry that some are having trouble with my efforts.

I realise it is difficult - but as it turned out, it was possible. Nobody could ever have seen those crucial details in the photos as originally posted. We can see them now, and it helps considerably.

What I'm mildly suggesting is: would it not have been a good idea to have all those great macro close-ups in readiness before  posting the question? I can understand newbie posters not getting the need for this, but you're a stalwart of the board. There shouldn't be double standards. We all know how important it is to provide maximum info and best photos at the outset.

Message 114 of 182
latest reply

Hindsight is always 20:20. It's very hard to predict what details will end up being useful, and which are not going to be helpful. If @sonomabarn67 had already known which details were the critical ones to unraveling the mystery, then this thread would not have been needed in the first place.

Message 115 of 182
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

What did he mean?

How do you mean, your "second post"? It was something like post #9,868,230 of this interminable thread, by my count. The fact is, there was literally a two-day gap between you saying "i just found a double headed eagle but camera is on charge..." and posting the close-up. And I had to beg for it first.

Message 116 of 182
latest reply

I give up! I pointed out that I put up an accurate photo of the 2 headed eagle in my first post and an explanation of the difficult time I was having with said (not perfect but perfectly visible) image? You missed it which is fine, we all miss things. But why come after me like it was my fault? Another poster missed it and just said "I missed it, there it is". Go back and look at that photo again please. Why am I being attacked?

Message 117 of 182
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

Hindsight is always 20:20. It's very hard to predict what details will end up being useful, and which are not going to be helpful. If @sonomabarn67 had already known which details were the critical ones to unraveling the mystery, then this thread would not have been needed in the first place.

I think it stands to reason that heraldic details, if present, are going to help. The first version of the other plate had me searching for Greek helmets and Assyrian costumes, so little could I make out of what was going on.

Sonoma doesn't need protecting from fair criticism. He's the first to tell others how important good macro shots are, and he is right about that.

Message 118 of 182
latest reply

OK, I meant to say first post, second photo. Does that work?

I put the double headed eagle in my second photo. Jeeze.

Message 119 of 182
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

I give up! I pointed out that I put up an accurate photo of the 2 headed eagle in my first post and an explanation of the difficult time I was having with said (not perfect but perfectly visible) image? You missed it which is fine, we all miss things. But why come after me like it was my fault? Another poster missed it and just said "I missed it, there it is". Go back and look at that photo again please. Why am I being attacked?

Posted by Sonomabarn, 10-01-2022 10:04 AM [Message #60]:

Yes, that is the image I came across. i just found a double headed eagle but camera is on charge...

====================================================

Posted by Argon38, 10-03-2022 12:15 PM [yes, that's two days later, folks...]  [Message #94]:

@sonomabarn67wrote: i just found a double headed eagle but camera is on charge...

- What happened to this...?

====================================================

10-03-2022 05:02 PM (Message #96] - Sonomabarn posts the promised close-up of the double-headed eagle.

Message 120 of 182
latest reply