cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I bought these at a flea, ancient engraved steel plates

Didn't know if this board was still open 😄.  Aprox 13' x13" engraved steel plates. The lady I bought them from said they were 15/16th century. They are hand engraved with applied silver dots and inlaid with silver inlay. What I would like to know is what does the artwork portray? it looks right for that period. I believe they were used as medallions in a cabinet. Do the scenes ring any bells? Very hard to get good photos, will try again tomorrow. Thanks!plate1.jpgplate2.jpgplate3.jpgplate4.jpg

Message 1 of 182
latest reply
181 REPLIES 181

The horse armor looks right as does the clothing to me.

Message 2 of 182
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:
The lady I bought them from said they were 15/16th century.

🙂

Message 3 of 182
latest reply

I need to know if these might be  noted scenes from history. Possibly scenes from period prints. It's all handwork in steel and silver. Do you recognize the fellow in the center? Is he a King? Military? 🤔 I don't understand  why the happy face.

Message 4 of 182
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:
I don't understand  why the happy face.

It's a "slightly smiling" face. As in, smiling a little at the optimistic dating proposed by your lady seller (if she was referring to the objects themselves, rather than the scenes). 

Could you upload another few pics of the second one? The details of the characters' dress could be important. Also, the backs of both?

Message 5 of 182
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

It's a "slightly smiling" face. As in, smiling a little at the optimistic dating proposed by your lady seller (if she was referring to the objects themselves, rather than the scenes). 

My initial impression is that he is not smiling at all.  Mouth corner is downward.  I think it's the facial folds that could make it look like he's smiling. 

Rita

Message 6 of 182
latest reply

More good news then. I best get those new pics up or the horse will expire in the gate.

Message 7 of 182
latest reply

@melda58 wrote:

@argon38 wrote:

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

My initial impression is that he is not smiling at all.  Mouth corner is downward.  I think it's the facial folds that could make it look like he's smiling. 

Rita

Oh, I was referring to my emoticon, not the man on horseback! I thought perhaps I'd puzzled Sonoma with my cryptic smiley response.

All I was getting at was this: I think they are fine pieces of craftsmanship, but I don't quite buy the proposed dating.

Message 8 of 182
latest reply

Those don't look 600 years old to me...just saying.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 9 of 182
latest reply

It's funny, similar items in the Met's collections look just like these. Just have to ask, are you well versed in 600 year old steel inlaid silver items?

Message 10 of 182
latest reply

No but there's virtually no patina. There should at least be areas of uncurable patina on that.

The met has a museum curator probably with a Master's degree to take care of their items. I doubt the lady you bought it from is one.

Message 11 of 182
latest reply

Same answer as to gkn. what makes you say otherwise?

Message 12 of 182
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

Same answer as to gkn. what makes you say otherwise?

Those photos first, please. And links to your Met comparables. Plenty of time to discuss the rest.  😀

Message 13 of 182
latest reply

Ever heard of old  items that have been polished/cleaned?

Message 14 of 182
latest reply

Just my $0.02

But hey...Bob Vila candlesticks boiling water...what do I know?

Message 15 of 182
latest reply