cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with print

Hi..I was wondering if someone could tell me what kind of print this is? I was thinking it was a poster but I see brush strokes on the black. And the creases and veining on the picture seems odd. I have hardly any knowledge of art except I think I am a bit good at identifying water color and oil but not good at all in prints, lithographs, etchings etc. Walking out with it, someone said it was a watercolor..huh? which, made me curious and had me looking at it more closely. Now I have no clue as to why I see brush strokes and veining. Not sure if it had been rolled up would it have contributed to that? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!20220422_103449.jpg

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: Help with print

I dunno, I live within 100 miles of Clar's and they go thru a lot of staff with varying degrees of accuracy. Since there is such a controversy over this print I maintain that the Zervos Catalogue Raisonne I mentioned should be viewed as the final word. That's the reason they put the good information in the Raisonne. My advice is that the OP should only rely on on examples that cite Zervos as a primary source of info.

Message 31 of 42
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

My advice is that the OP should only rely on on examples that cite Zervos as a primary source of info.

My thinking was that a dealer or gallery might have access to that resource, or at least be able to tell OP by inspection whether they have a litho, woodcut, serigraph, or whatever. The catalogue raisonné will doubtless have the authorised publication history, but even that won't necessarily settle the question of whether the OP has an original or a copy.

Message 32 of 42
latest reply

You're right but  my method provides a most-important doorway to get to that goal. Only search for items that have the words  Picasso (name of print) and Zervos. Get the source and specifics, then tackle the authentic aspect.

Message 33 of 42
latest reply

Also send a letter to a few high end Picasso galleries and see how they describe it.

Message 34 of 42
latest reply

This is so damaged that I don't think it would be worth taking to a gallery. I didn't know about all the different types of prints and variations, but I did know there was something different because when I did look at it thru the loupe, it wasn't like the other prints I have and the way it was cracked and veined was unusual to me especially since it was't a painting. I thougnt someone here would know just by a glance. I appreciate all the input I am receiving alot to take in. 

Message 35 of 42
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

You're right but  my method provides a most-important doorway to get to that goal. Only search for items that have the words  Picasso (name of print) and Zervos. Get the source and specifics, then tackle the authentic aspect.

But there aren't any online listings of this print which reference the catalogue (not that I can find, anyway). If there were, it would be easy.

Message 36 of 42
latest reply

You would be taking it to a gallery for information, nothing more. You want to find out what  type of print it is and compare it to the Zervos entry. As argon mentioned, they may have that information. If you are going to do that make sure it is with a proper Picasso gallery.

Message 37 of 42
latest reply

My question to both argon38 and sonomabarn67, if this was yours, would you take it to a gallery or dig further looking into Zervos knowing the condition it is in? Funny thing is, everyone I showed it to at a glance, knew exactly who the artist was. Even my grandkids. So it says alot about this artist. I had no idea they would know. 

Message 38 of 42
latest reply

Again, "You would be taking it to a gallery for information, nothing more."

Message 39 of 42
latest reply

true...sonomabarn67. If you are in Sonoma, which is about 30 miles from where I am, would you know where I could take it? I have no idea where galleries are, maybe San Francisco? Sausaliito? Walnut Creek?

Message 40 of 42
latest reply

@4keeps707 wrote:

My question to both argon38 and sonomabarn67, if this was yours, would you take it to a gallery or dig further looking into Zervos knowing the condition it is in?

If it were mine, I would want to find out as much as I could - out of interest, as much as anything else. I still think you should get in touch with the academic who runs the Picasso Project website I mentioned, to see if you can get a username and password:

https://picasso.shsu.edu/ 

I have a vague memory of using that site when it was still open-access; as I recall it was very informative. You could research a Picasso artwork by year, title, etc.

Message 41 of 42
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:
I still think you should get in touch with the academic who runs the Picasso Project website I mentioned, to see if you can get a username and password

I don't mean you should ask him to identify the print for you - just say you'd appreciate access to the database (if at all possible) to research it on your own. It's worth a try, anyway.

Message 42 of 42
latest reply