cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP IDENTIFYING A SMALL BLUE & WHITE DELFT PITCHER

IS ANYONE ABLE TO TELL ME ANYTHING ABOUT THIS LITTLE PITCHER?  AGE?  COUNTRY?  MAKER?

IT'S ABOUT 5 1/2" TALL AND HAS SOME AGE WARE.  FROM THE WORN SPOTS IT LOOKS LIKE IT'S REDWARE UNDER THE GLAZE.  THERE IS A SOMEWHAT BIRD IMAGE ON THE FRONT BELOW THE PINCHED SPOUT.

IT IS MARKED ON THE BOTTOM:  "AN"  THEN A LINE AND BENEATH THE LINE "CK[R?]YPN, THEN WHAT LOOKS LIKE THE OUTER SIDE OF THE PARENTHESIS, WHICH MAY BE AN "I".  I HAVE SHOWN THIS MARK IN THE LAST PHOTO.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.  THANKS!  BILL

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: HELP IDENTIFYING A SMALL BLUE & WHITE DELFT PITCHER

@ptowner wrote:

Thank you both so much.  Argon, you're amazing and I owe you one.  I'm going to press my luck and ask one more question:  any idea as to the age of this pitcher?  It was a gift to me from an antiques dealer and I'd really like to know as much as possible about it.  Many thanks again!   Bill

Greg is the amazing one for solving it. All I did was (wrongly) question the solution! Unfortunately I'm not a pottery expert, so I'll have to leave the age question to others. I shouldn't think it was made yesterday, though.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 14 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Yours is probably a lot older than the one I showed, but I have seen much Greek pottery with the same types of peacocks and/or pheasants motif.
greg
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I am really puzzled by the word on the base. Skyros is a very logical suggestion, but when you look closely things don't quite seem to fit. The Greek name for the island is Σκύρος. I could understand C  being used for Σ for effect (lunate sigma). But the third letter appears to be η when it ought to be ύ, and whatever the second-last marking may be, it's surely not an ο?

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Definitely NOT Delft. There are specific symbols that identify true authentic Delft.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Thanks for all the help so far.  This is what I think I've learned so far:  this pitcher is faience, not delft.  It would seem from your feedback that it is Greek.  I viewed the maker's mark with a magnifier and still see the letters "AN" over a line and the letters CKYPN) on the bottom.  there is a small chance that the second letter, the "K" is an "R" and a similar small chance that the third letter "Y" is a "U".  It may been that the final letter which looks like the outside of the parenthesis may be half of an "O".  Given that would the word "CRUPN + the half "O' mark makes any sense?  The handle, which I didn't photograph is a double handle with a groove down the middle.

Any guesses as to the age of this piece or suggestions to where I might search further?  Much appreciated!

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@ptowner wrote:

there is a small chance that the second letter, the "K" is an "R" and a similar small chance that the third letter "Y" is a "U".  It may been that the final letter which looks like the outside of the parenthesis may be half of an "O". 

Are you able to post a really sharp, high-resolution photo of the base? The one in the thread is slightly blurry.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

First of all, I really appreciate your help.  Thanks!  I am adding four more photos:  2 of the bottom, one with a flash, one without and 2 close-ups of the bird on the front of the pitcher.  If this means anything to you, please let me know.   Regards!

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Another possibility is that the first letter, what you are calling a C is a (
The first part of the parentheses.
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Oh, ha, and theirs is a lamp base with that hole in the bottom.
Janet
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Greg was absolutely right: it is ΣΚΥΡΩΣ (Skyros). I was stupidly confused because I was thinking it was written in lower case, but it isn't - it's in block capitals. Compare the back of this plate:

https://vithoulkas-antiques.gr/eng_ver/shop/works-of-art/a-hand-painted-ceramic-plate-from-skyros/ 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

Greg was absolutely right: it is ΣΚΥΡΩΣ (Skyros).

Sigh... I still can't get it right.  I meant ΣΚΥΡΟΣ (Skyros), not ΣΚΥΡΩΣ.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Thank you both so much.  Argon, you're amazing and I owe you one.  I'm going to press my luck and ask one more question:  any idea as to the age of this pitcher?  It was a gift to me from an antiques dealer and I'd really like to know as much as possible about it.  Many thanks again!   Bill

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@ptowner wrote:

Greg is the amazing one for solving it. All I did was (wrongly) question the solution! Unfortunately I'm not a pottery expert, so I'll have to leave the age question to others. I shouldn't think it was made yesterday, though.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply