cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

George W. Bush and Laura Bush "Signed" Photograph

Would appreciate input on whether the signatures on this photograph are pre-printed or actual pen-and-ink. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: George W. Bush and Laura Bush "Signed" Photograph

Look at the sigs with a loupe and if you see tiny dots, they are printed.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

Yes. 

Also, on slick paper like that, there ought to be obvious variations in the thickness of the ink as it lays on the paper, if the signature is real.  Even on paper that slick, there should be some faint "bleed," too.   

My rule of thumb is that if I can't tell easily that a signature is real, it is not.  It's either printed or auto-signed.

I wonder what Mr. Debol was a "Charter Member" of?  Here's his obit:

https://www.hometownsource.com/sun_patriot/news/local/obituary---ron-j-debol/article_d7b54904-8749-5...

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Here's another example, described by the seller as auto-pen signedL

https://www.ebay.com/itm/George-Laura-Bush-8-1-2-X-10-1-2-Color-Photo-Print-Auto-Pen-Signature-/1329...

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I wanted to add this earlier, but had to leave for a bit:

Another thing to do in trying to work out signatures is to find another example (such as the one I linked to) and then compare small points.  In the signture on yours, see the little bit of a line where the r meets the a in Laura?  See the little dot of ink at the end of Bush in the same signature?   If you see the same in both signatures, you know they're printed or auto-pen.

bush.jpg

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Really appreciate the instructive comments.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thanks, but there was one thing I wanted to add. We live not too far from a wealthy Republican enclave where there are regular estate sales. In almost every sale one can see these photos laid out on the dining room table as "special". I've seen them priced for as much as $100 but they never seem to sell and are still there on the last day.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply