cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't put STICKERS on my SLABED COIN !!!!!!

How many times i've won coins only to recieve them with stickers on the slab! Usually the sticker comes right off but not allways. Now i have to scratch the sticker off and deal with the glue residue! 

You sir , mamm;  have effectivly ruined my coin slab!!!

Pass the word around, from now on you will no longer recieve 5 stars for item desription! depending on the damage done by your "inventory" sticker you may only get 1 star.

Anyone feel the same way???

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Don't put STICKERS on my SLABED COIN !!!!!!

@cod3rd wrote:

... effectivly ruined my coin slab!!!...

Yes, I feel the same way about stickers.

But if the sticker was not shown in the photos for the listing, and the slab you recieved has a sticker and it does in fact ruin the coin, you can file a SNAD (significanly not as described) case and get a refund for the item plus return shipping. That would spread the word better than I ever can.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

I agree plexi glass is very hard to clean. Many household cleaners like windex will ruin surface.
greg
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

-Altho I don't have much experience with coins...I feel your pain.

-Sometimes it seems the more damage a sticker can do the greater the possibility it'll either:

1)  be put in the worst place on the item

2) have some impossible to remove without damage adhesive 

3) serve up some combo platter of both 1 & 2 

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Does this truly happen a lot? With different sellers? I'd say there might be a bad trend in that dealer community then. If it truly ruins the slab or coin then it's SNAD of course. But it sounds like you're keeping them.

There might be some more specific insight in the Coins & Paper Money board. This section is more... art. Good luck~

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@cod3rd wrote:

How many times i've won coins only to recieve them with stickers on the slab! Usually the sticker comes right off but not allways. Now i have to scratch the sticker off and deal with the glue residue! 

Why on Earth would you scratch it off?

Just use Goo Gone and work smarter, not harder.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Don't YELL AT US, as we did nothing wrong!!!!!!

And spend a buck on any one of the many products on the market that will cleanly remove a sticker from hard plastic. 

Talk about First World problems.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Good point...sometimes I forget I wasn't the absolute last person to find out about Goo Gone & forget to mention it.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@yankeebob1951 wrote:

Good point...sometimes I forget I wasn't the absolute last person to find out about Goo Gone & forget to mention it.

Yeah, this is an easy one.

It's not like a book seller putting an animal glue inventory sticker on the front of a book with a collectible art cover. Nothing gets that off but time.

Animal glue won't come off with goo gone but if it is on plastic or another non-porous surface, soaking, sweating or steaming it will make it come right off just like a beer bottle label.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

or... they could just stop putting stickers on the merchandise.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

When I purchased the items there were no visible stickers on them. Now I should buy goo b gone and clean them off?
It's simple, if you insist on putting stickers on items your selling, at least use a high quality sticker that removes easily.
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@cod3rd wrote:
...Now I should buy goo b gone and clean them off?...

Yes.  If you handle occasional, tiny, inconsequential blips like this one simply and without fuss, you save energy, time, and other valuable resources for real problems.   You'll have more time to enjoy your coin collecting, too.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Goo Gone does not work on everything. For plexiglass one should only use cleaning material approved for plexiglass. Before using their product, I would write to Goo Gone first to ask if it is safe to use on plexiglass (I imagine they would not guarantee the results of their product on plexigas.)

Also, as a buyer, unless you show the tag I should not be responsible for removing it. Even if you believe that it's an easy task. Sorry, if my annoyances are seen as tiny or inconsequential to the seller. When I buy something I am buying a product not a project. That is, unless I know ahead of time that it's a project I am buying.

You may not see it as a "real" problem. But perhaps some people focus on the minutiae of collecting as a way to escape the huge and major problems of being alive. We try to solve the problems we are able to. And we all need an escape, even if it is as silly as collecting coins. Not that it's silly, just that all collecting is a little bit removed from reality. Isn't that why we are drawn to it?

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

-I don't think anyone here was touting Goo Gone as  a universal  panacea...just suggesting that if the OP opts to keep an item instead of filing a SNAD & returning it there are alternatives to removing stickers that may be easier.

-Like I said earlier in the thread I feel the OP's pain... & have tossed out more than one emphatic  $%#@ or *&%@# over ill-placed stickers.

-You point out correctly that "as a buyer, unless you show the tag I should not be responsible for removing it"...which seems the main point of OP's frustration... & totally justified frustration IMO.

-However if OP chooses to keep the item, it's also a choice to deal with removing the sticker & what that involves.

- Some people are just jerks who don't care...but maybe some of these sellers aren't aware of what a PIA their inventory stickers are & maybe OP could contact them (calmly) to point that out & they'd appreciate the tip.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@cod3rd wrote:
at least use a high quality sticker that removes easily.

a high quality sticker that doesn't stay put?

That's called a Post-It note.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply