cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coins from china

Just a heads up. I purchased some half dollars from china and they are fake. They are selling as 90% Silver. I did the acid test on them and the acid didnt change color. The middle coin on the top row is the coin tested.  IMG_0689.JPGm.JPG

IIMG_0691.JPGh.JPG

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Coins from china

"The counterfeiting out of China is getting out of control."

That's for sure! So, when does the U.S. government step in and stop it?

Remember years ago when the POTUS said these "banks were too big to fail"? It's the same concept; when the world's oligarchs continue to profit from their communist counterpart's dealings why would they stop it? 

Ebay makes it very difficult to discover the origin of its products by burying it behind lots of minutiae. When this happens to me I delete it and move on to other sellers. but I too, have been victim of coins that are counterfeit. drill a hole in them and use them for sinkers for fishing because that's all they are good for.

Message 46 of 47
latest reply

Coins from china

Also, be aware of fake gold coins from China. They use tungsten which has an almost identical specific gravity or density to real gold coins and then they give it a gold plating. A real gold coin should have a nice strong ringing sound and the tungsten fakes usually have a dull thud or very weak ringing when pinged. Ebay should have sellers selling pocket test kits. 

Message 47 of 47
latest reply