cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coins from china

Just a heads up. I purchased some half dollars from china and they are fake. They are selling as 90% Silver. I did the acid test on them and the acid didnt change color. The middle coin on the top row is the coin tested.  IMG_0689.JPGm.JPG

IIMG_0691.JPGh.JPG

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Coins from china

@maxine*j wrote:

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

@maxine*j wrote:

.....They are from China.  They are from a seller who keeps his feedback hidden as "private."......

Sellers cannot 'hide' feedback (typically)- is this a China thing or?? 

Sorry.  Both the Chinese seller and the OP use "private listing," is what I meant. 

No problem; I just thought eBay created a 'new' thing?? Things are always changing here...

Message 16 of 47
latest reply

Coins from china

@maxine*j wrote:

@maxine*j wrote:

.....They are from China.  They are from a seller who keeps his feedback hidden as "private."......

Sellers cannot 'hide' feedback (typically)- is this a China thing or?? 

Sorry.  Both the Chinese seller and the OP use "private listing," is what I meant. 

No problem; I just thought eBay created a 'new' thing?? Things are always changing here...

No.  So far as I know, it's still only buyers can keep feedback hidden.  On the other hand, as you say, one never knows around this joint!

Message 17 of 47
latest reply

Coins from china

@doug_5857 wrote:

They are selling Indian Head pennies, Dimes, Quarters, Halves, and $5.00 gold  1/10 oz coins.

unfortunately I bought them all.

eBay PLEASE BE AWARE. i will be returning them and if china doesnt pay the refunds, guess who is gonna be holding the bag. 

I will be having alot of returns,

Yes; you have alot of purchases from China. 

Be sure to open each 'return' for reason of 'Not As Described'

Be prepared to get the run around on return labels (seller is suppose to pay but they cannot purchase a USA to China label so then they are suppose to 'Paypal' you the $$.

Keep track of each return, and escalate to ebay if you a.) don't get a label' b.) it states you CAN escalate

Expensive lesson but just know that ALL USA Coins, Stamps coming from just about anywhere except a longtime seller with many positive feedbacks located in the US, are usually 'fake'... and even many sold in the US are as well. 

Message 18 of 47
latest reply

Coins from china

Every order i bought from was a different seller with less than 30 feedbacks. May have between 4 and 60 items posted and only 1 or 2 maybe 3 were silver coins from every seller.

Message 19 of 47
latest reply

Coins from china

No matter what. I have a guarantee money back. What if they were real?????

Message 20 of 47
latest reply

Coins from china

counterfeiting, manufacture of false money for gain, a kind of forgery in that something is copied so as to defraud by passing it for the original or genuine article.

All countries prosecute counterfeitors, so whats China doing about this?

https://www.britannica.com/topic/counterfeiting

Message 21 of 47
latest reply

Coins from china

I wonder why you are buying items as such from China.

I had a fun time looking at some of the feedbacks where sellers are selling items...wow...an auction of one has a 5 dollar USA gold coin on auction ending tomorrow..highest bid is .73 cents so far.

Message 22 of 47
latest reply

Coins from china

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

I wonder why you are buying items as such from China.

I had a fun time looking at some of the feedbacks where sellers are selling items...wow...an auction of one has a 5 dollar USA gold coin on auction ending tomorrow..highest bid is .73 cents so far.

I wonder how much of this stuff is bought by Americans who plan to resell it, on eBay and elsewhere, as genuine?  They know it's fake but hope it looks good enough to pass of as legit, perhaps with a tweak or two of their own, to the unwary.

-

Message 23 of 47
latest reply

Coins from china

Most china sellers will refund you without requiring a return, just file an INAD with reason "Fake".

Message 24 of 47
latest reply

Coins from china

No matter what. I have a guarantee money back.

If you keep buying counterfeit items from unproven overseas sellers and invoking your Money Back Guarantee to get a refund, at some point eBay may decide you are not a very good risk and may decide to withdraw your MBG protection for future purchases.

You may want to avoid the obvious scams; save your MBG protection for borderline cases where you really need it.

Message 25 of 47
latest reply

Coins from china

@eburtonlab wrote:

No matter what. I have a guarantee money back.

If you keep buying counterfeit items from unproven overseas sellers and invoking your Money Back Guarantee to get a refund, at some point eBay may decide you are not a very good risk and may decide to withdraw your MBG protection for future purchases.

You may want to avoid the obvious scams; save your MBG protection for borderline cases where you really need it.

You raise a good point.  No one knows the number or the pattern eBay looks for, but  eBay does flag accounts with multiple INADs and at some point sanctions the accounts. 

The MBG is not a way to sort of "buy on approval."

-

Message 26 of 47
latest reply

Coins from china

@doug_5857 wrote:

For entertainment's sake, let us know how the overall process pans out for getting your return shipment label from the seller. 

Posting ID
Message 27 of 47
latest reply

Coins from china

@lakefor94 wrote:

@doug_5857 wrote:

For entertainment's sake, let us know how the overall process pans out for getting your return shipment label from the seller. 

Or, since the sellers are overseas, getting the funds to pay for the shipping.  Especially from sellers who are masters at delaying tactics to run out that 30-day MBG. 

Not to mention that question of a voided MBG, if the goods are not in the condition received; as in, damaged with acid, say.

--

Message 28 of 47
latest reply

Coins from china

@doug_5857 wrote:

eBay PLEASE BE AWARE. i will be returning them and if china doesnt pay the refunds, guess who is gonna be holding the bag.

That should be a slam dunk for a Not As Described refund.

@doug_5857 wrote:

I will be having a lot of returns,

I am not a coin expert but I would find it strange that a coin seller has 10 coins showing virtually identical wear and discoloration patterns AND the seller is in China. I would be surprised if most purported collectibles from China do NOT turn out to be fake.

FYI you cannot return these if they are counterfeit. That would violate not only US laws and commercial codes but US postal regulations as well. 

Message 29 of 47
latest reply

Coins from china

Unfortunately the counterfeit coins out of China, and a few other places, have propagate worldwide. I have several counterfeit silver dollars that are VERY counterfeits that were purchased from a US seller whom I assume got them from China originally. The counterfeits were good enough with regards to size, stamping and weight that it took a metal spectrometer to find out they were not silver. 

I filed a NAD and noted that I could not return the coins since they were counterfeit and reported the seller as well. The counterfeiting out of China is getting out of control. 

Message 30 of 47
latest reply