cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone recognize this art style and or the artist of these drawings

A Retailer of YesterdayA Retailer of YesterdaySpanish or PortugueseSpanish or Portuguese

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

They appear to be sketches for a larger/more finished piece.  Are they done on sketch paper?  Appear to have been tacked to a wall.  Certainly a trained artist.  Something commercial about them.    Like murals for a movie theatre or bank.  Given borders, I would think they were late art deco period.  1930s.

Debora

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

It looks like they have a title written on each one. Have you tried looking up the titles on Google? 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

These also have the look of 1930's/40's magazine story  illustrations.  Anything on the back?

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I suspect those are not the original titles (although the writing looks old enough). "Spanish or Portuguese"... surely the artist would know?

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Are those original drawings?  I ask only because they look like pages out of a printed book rather than a sketchbook.  I say that because of the apparent hard surface / sheen on the paper.  But my eyes are old and I may be seeing just an effect of the lighting.

Like, Argon I can't imagine the artist writing "Spanish or Portugese" as he would surely know, so I think you can safely assume that was added later.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

"Spanish or Portuguese" refers to the figure in the drawing, Christopher Colombus.   To this day, there is controversary about his national origins.

Debora

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@debora_34_ wrote:

"Spanish or Portuguese" refers to the figure in the drawing, Christopher Colombus.   To this day, there is controversary about his national origins.

Debora

I thought he was Italian.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

You thought right he was italian

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@mimiwells wrote:

You thought right he was italian

I know the Knights of Columbus and the Sons of italy, who worked so hard to get Columbus Day as a federal holiday in the U.S. (in Italy, "Giornata nazionale di Cristoforo Colombo) did and do think so, too.

By the way, for anyone interested, the largest and the most important Columbus collection in North America is just down the road from me, about 15 miles.  I've spent many an hour there, and I always take out-of-state visitors to see the Columbus Chapel:
http://uncoveringpa.com/columbus-chapel-boal-mansion-museum

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Oh, yes, I've been listening to all that for years.  Nonsense, I say.  I also say that Cleoptara was not subSaharan-African, nor are the Welsh one of the lost tribes of Israel.  Harrummmphhh.  

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I want to thank everyone for all of your insite on these drawings. They are original drawings and I can see the pencil impresions comming through on the back side of the thin sketch paper.

Thank you again and God Bless You all.

Rich

Message 13 of 13
latest reply