cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentications Expert -- Stephen Hawking

A few months ago I found an older (early 1960s) paperback book with Stephen Hawking's signature in the location where one normally places their name in a book.  I had the item positively authenticated as genuine through a British authenticator and listed it on eBay.  eBay promptly removed the listing saying that the authenticator was not valid -- ie not on their approved list.  At additional cost I sent it to one of the eBay approved authenticators (J A Spence) which inlcuded Hawking in their list of signatures they could confirm.  After examining the book for a month, they concluded that their examination was inconclusive.  They could neither confirm the signature as genuine nor deny that it.  Because it is from a time period prior to Hawking's fame there are few signature exemplars.  It is also a signature prior to the ravages of his disease.  Although I asked for their suggestions, none are forthcoming.

Does anyone have recommendations--groups, experts, collectors--for authenticating an early Stephen Hawking signature (pre-ALS)?

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Re: Authentications Expert -- Stephen Hawking

You're welcome.

Message 46 of 64
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

Thank you!  <blushes>

Well you deserve the congratulations, because that professional authentication service (the second one I mean, that the OP paid to use!) never noticed it. I thought straightaway that there was something suspicious about the overwriting, but I couldn't see the purpose until you pointed it out. Now I see it.

Message 47 of 64
latest reply

And the elderly Mrs. Platt may be spared a baffling phone call or letter, I think.  As an elderly person myself, I thank you on her behalf.  Smiley Happy

Message 48 of 64
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

And the elderly Mrs. Platt may be spared a baffling phone call or letter, I think.  As an elderly person myself, I thank you on her behalf.  Smiley Happy

I hope so!

Message 49 of 64
latest reply

All very well, but a bit of sideways thinking keeps gnawing at me... what if, and a big what if....maybe we are witnessing an event that we on this chatboard, are the very first to witness Steve Hawking at the instant he changed from a young man...to his image of himself as an adult with this modification of his name? Not satified with a simple Steve as a common man, but rather Stephen as an intellectual that would grow into the genius that we all know. 

If so, I get to help compose the auction listing!

Message 50 of 64
latest reply

Was he called by "Steve" by family and friends?  I know nothing about his persoanl life.  (Or am I just falling for your auction spiel here?   Smiley Happy )

Message 51 of 64
latest reply

Wonderful comments!  Very interesting Steve > Stephen analysis.  You've given me much to think about.   But the original question, no one knows of an all-things-Stephen-Hawking expert?

Message 52 of 64
latest reply

@lost-lizard-trading-company wrote:

Wonderful comments!  Very interesting Steve > Stephen analysis.  You've given me much to think about.   But the original question, no one knows of an all-things-Stephen-Hawking expert?

Oh my... it's a 100% fake. You've already tried to list it using a disreputable authentication service, and had the listing removed. I've already recommended that you ask RR Auction for their opinion if you are determined to pursue this.

Message 53 of 64
latest reply

Nobody has posted the name of a Stephen Hawking expert, so I guess not.

IMO, it would be a waste of time and money even if you could find one. It wasn't signed by Stephen Hawking, the theoretical physicist, and professor at Cambridge.

Your book was printed in 1960, at which time Hawking was already studying at University College, in Oxford. The signature is "Steven Hawking", not Steve or Stephen. Stephen Hawking would not have spelled his name wrong when he was signing his signature and needed to correct it.

It also doesn't look like his known signature from that time frame. The signature from his PhD these in 1965 is posted here in this thread, and there is another early signature posted on his wikipedia page.  

This may be an example of why the first authenticator you went with is not accepted by eBay.

Message 54 of 64
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:
This may be an example of why the first authenticator you went with is not accepted by eBay.

There are other reasons.

Message 55 of 64
latest reply

Yes, I know ... I was referring to the reason that is relevant to this discussion.

Message 56 of 64
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

Yes, I know ... I was referring to the reason that is relevant to this discussion.

For anyone who doesn't know what we're talking about:

https://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/rareandsigned-com-uk?groupUrl=authenticationandforge...

Message 57 of 64
latest reply

Oh my. There is your answer.

Message 58 of 64
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

And where I should have started, instead of ended... 

Message 59 of 64
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

The OP has been on eBay for many years and has an excellent record, and that rareandsigned  site has a professional look to it, so I've no difficulty in accepting that he or she wasn't aware of their dodgy background. But I think they risk damaging their own reputation if they're not prepared to accept reality when it comes to this signature. From the way they've upvoted and commented on your jokey "Steve" suggestion, I think they're taking it seriously...

Message 60 of 64
latest reply