cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone recognize image or signature on old photograph?

I found this old artwork which I believe is an original photograph. It is signed on the matboard. Hoping someone might recognize the image or signature. Thanks in advance20181112_155518.jpg20181112_155508.jpg

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

That signature belongs to Leopold Hugo

I will add a link for you here for information on him.   https://uima.uiowa.edu/exhibitions/art-of-the-day/on-this-day-in-1977/

View Best Answer in original post

Message 15 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Terrain looks Australian, possibly California. Any framing labels or writing on the reverse?

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

@greenportny wrote:

I found this old artwork which I believe is an original photograph. It is signed on the matboard. Hoping someone might recognize the image or signature. Thanks in advance20181112_155518.jpg20181112_155508.jpg

That does not appear to be a photograph to me.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

I had the same thought but was waiting for a better close up of the trees, or info on the back, etc.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

It looks like a piece you might find in Camera Works from the early 20th century, you might want to compare the signature of Photo-Secession photographers.

There were also some English photographers doing similar work a little later, this could be Scottish, from the terrain. I wonder if anyone can identify the type of tree, is it a beech or type of poplar? There are also generally flat, rolling fields like this in areas of the US North East.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Have you removed it from the frame to see if the back carries any information?

Debora

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Thanks to all who responded. Sorry for my absence after original post. I couldn't figure out how to subscribe so when post had activity I'd be notified. I removed the photo from the frame and found that the photo is sandwiched/glued between the mat and the backer (which it may be mounted to. I don't want to separate and risk damage to the matboard as it bears the signature. On the back or the mount board is wrtten in pencil "ANTIQUE ETCHING". This is definitely a photo and not an etching. Good suggestion re looking at a list of Photo Secessionists. I'm afraid the back revealed no further clues. Here are a couple more pictures

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@little.font.lord.leroy wrote:

I wonder if anyone can identify the type of tree, is it a beech or type of poplar? There are also generally flat, rolling fields like this in areas of the US North East.

Looks like eucalyptus to me

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans
- John Lennon
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@a*river*runs*through*it wrote:

That does not appear to be a photograph to me.

I agree...  Maybe an etching made from a photo?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans
- John Lennon
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Paper is photographic paper with a matte finish. 

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Yes, eucalyptus which is why I suggested Austrailia or California. I live in CA and all our eucalyptus trees came over from Aus. Dangerous trees because they are so brittle. We have a stretch of highway that has them planted either side and about every 5 years or so during winter storms, a tree breaks, drops to the ground and kills someone!

This looks like a photo to me.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for the help. Will continue with the research.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

You having that picture there, try to find the name of the person that signed it by playing with letters and Google it. It seems to be a german name. 

I see.....H u p u l   and then erhug....

Good luck!

latest reply

That signature belongs to Leopold Hugo

I will add a link for you here for information on him.   https://uima.uiowa.edu/exhibitions/art-of-the-day/on-this-day-in-1977/

Message 15 of 19
latest reply