cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antique Photo on Tin

I found this tin photo many years ago tucked away in a old book I got in a auction box lot. I am not sure who it is or how it was processed. It is on tin and I thought it looked like a young Edgar Allan Poe or other literary scholar of the time.

I posted pics for some input I hope.

Many T100_5586.JPG100_5587.JPG100_5588.JPG100_5589.JPGhanks 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Antique Photo on Tin

It's what's called a tintype.  Yours has been hand-tinted after the photographic process.  Could be anyone (but not Poe, as a comparison will show.)  Tintypes were inexpensive and, therefore, common.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tintype

Debora

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

And the coloring was added by hand.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Your photograph is a tintype (ferrotype). Tintypes are basically the negative, subsequent copies are not made, so each photo is a unique image. To make multiple images, a multi-lens camera was used to expose several smaller photos on a plate, then the plate was cut apart by hand like old school photos. There is much information on line about the process.

Size does matter to collectors. This looks like one of the the larger sizes :

Half plate= 5" x 7" / 4.5" x 6.5" (smallest size at least 4.5")
Full plate/Whole plate: 6.5"+ x  8.5+"
Mammoth plate: 7.5 x 10; 10 x 12, 10 x 14 (one side at least 10")

While most cameras held conventional sizes, there was some variation. Also plates were trimmed either by the photographer or to fit a frame, which explains the jagged edge on your photograph.

As stated, the image is hand colored or painted. These were common enough at the time, a pair of husband and wife often hung over the mantel. Collectors look for unusual details, hat, jewelry, foliage or color patterns, full body, furniture, clothing details and youth (the larger portrait photos are usually of older people).

Your image lacks those exceptions, placing it toward the lower price end, but it still retains a folk art appeal and the hair style is of the time. Do not try to clean or alter in any way -you will inevitably ruin it.

When mailing add layers of heavy cardboard as these plates are very easily bent and dented in the mail.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I wanted to add, that these are not "on tin" as the name tintype suggests. The metal used is actually steel, they called it Japanned steel, or Japanning, which was basically some kind of black lacquer. I am not exactly sure how they got called Tintype, I assume it is because actual tin utensils were often painted with black lacquer (and decorated with rosemaling) as a way to keep them from rusting. In this case the image is a negative so developing on black (rather than white like paper) shows as a positive.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply