cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ANYONE KNOW ABOUT SAMURAI SWORDS?

MY NEIGHBOR RECENTLY BOUGHT A DERELICT HOUSE AND FOUND A SAMURAI SWORD BURIED IN JUNK UNDER THE BED.  IT BELONGED TO THE OWNER WHO PASSED IN 1992.  HE WAS A MAJOR DURING WWII SERVING IN THE PACIFIC THEATER WHERE HE PROBABLY PICKED UP THE SWORD.  IT HAS A LOT OF RUST.  I WAS ABLE TO GET THE HANDLE OFF TO PHOTOGRAPH THE MARKINGS ON THE HILT.  ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.P1200435.jpegP1200439.jpegS.jpegS2.jpegS3.jpegS4.jpegS6.jpegS8.jpegS9.jpegP1200567.jpegP1200569.jpeg

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: ANYONE KNOW ABOUT SAMURAI SWORDS?

you need to take this to the Art and Collectibles board.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

It's quite likely that sword came from an armory at the end of  WWII. My father served in the U.S. Navy (Okinawa, Japan, etc) and after the surrender every crewman on his ship was allowed to go into an armory being gutted and bring  a keepsake home.

They were given a choice of a sword like that one, a sidearm/holster, or a rifle/bayonet. Dad chose the rifle/bayonet option (Arisaka Type 38 rifle) which was of new manufacture. It's been a bunch of years but I vaguely remember seeing a few pics of some of the crew holding their keepsakes and that sword kind of rings a bell. Called them Shin or Shen Guntos; something like that.

Rust or not, way cool.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

An interesting item for sure.  Samauri.  

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Real and would need an appraisal: might also get a contract (in written form) with the new owner of property:  on this item before doing anything with it.

Advise seeking legal advice.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

As a cultural thing, every soldier was issued one. Millions were mass produced. A few soldiers used hand me downs from their ancestors. Those are worth the big money.

Companies run advertisements in newspapers a few times a year looking for war relics and collectables. They rent the ballroom at a few area hotels, a few days apiece on each side of town, and buy. Getting paid cash in person is the safe route.

You have 5 digits of feedback and should know listing this type of item on eBay will result in:
Sport bidders and non paying bidders.
A false not as described claim.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Do not take any further cleaning action until an expert has a chance to look at it.

The whitish pebbly bits look like shagreen (shark's skin).

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

It looks to be a Shin Gunto Japanese Officer sword, WWII. and it is in terrible condition.  For all intents and purposes, the blade is a total loss to a collector.  There might be someone out there that would grind it down and perhaps get past the rust, but what little value it had is well gone.  The fittings 'might' be salvageable.  Sorry, I don't recognize the marking.

You might look up the Nihonto Club online and send them photos.  It is: https://nihontoclub.com

These people are very knowledgeable.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Yes, that is sharkskin and it looks like the menuki and tsuba are viable.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Yes, it has problems but I see mostly surface rust. I think there are pre-grinder options to be tried first.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

Yes, it has problems but I see mostly surface rust. I think there are pre-grinder options to be tried first.

I'm afraid that a couple of places the rust looks a little bit more serious than just 'surface'.  It wasn't so much about the rest, though.   My mind had drifted off to but the pitting.  I do believe that may be a difficult one to reconcile.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

But a grinder? I restore antiques and I don't own a grinder is all I'm saying.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Well, maybe a little one. 

A Japanese sword is cared for, even a Shin Gunto.  A sword might receive a polish maybe once or twice.  Otherwise they are cleaned, oiled, stored and maintained with care.  Rust?  Not good, but never clean the tang.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

The characters are 國益 . Apparently that is the surname Kunimasu:

https://en.name-power.net/fn/%E5%9C%8B%E7%9B%8A.html 

But the information may not help much. A quick search only brings up a Kunimasu from 350 years ago, who is obviously not your maker.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hi I just saw this and realize it’s an old thread but I should tell you that although it’s a ww2 sword, the blade could be much older. Have it checked out if you still have it

Message 15 of 15
latest reply