cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1983 Canada Small Cent Far and Near Beads Varieties in PL, SP, and PR.

Okay, I have tried posting this and it keeps getting deleted. Please stop it, I am not violating any rules. 

What I am wanting is for someone to sell 1983 Far and Near Bead Variety sets on eBay. There are business strike sets available right now, but none for pennies that come from Royal Canada Mint sets. I need an example of each variety from Proof-Like, Specimen, and Proof Sets. I need one each, Far and Near Beads, from each type of set, PL, SP, and Proof. 

Also, if these are not listed because they do not actually exist, then please let me know right here.

There used to be an active coin forum on eBay, but whoever made the changes deleted the coins category. Or made it hard to find. I made two post and neither appear on my most recent post list. I am assuming they were deleted. There is nothing in the rules that states you cannot tell people what you want to buy and ask them to list it for sell on eBay. Also, I am asking if anyone knows if these varieties exist for sure or not, which is not breaking the rules. If not, then I know they are not listed because they do not exist, which helps me as a buyer. I am using the Charlton Canada Coin guide to put my Canada Small Cent set together, and it suggest that Far and Near Beads exist in MS, PL, and SP. I also heard that both varieties might exist in Proof. The problem is nobody has their 1983 pennies labeled for Far and Near Beads varieties in PL, SP, or PR, and everyone uses stock photos. So, even if you see the one you need, it does not mean you will get that same coin in the photo. So, you have to buy these as variety sets. So, the dealer has to identify them for you and then sell them to you as a set. No Canada Small Cent collection is complete without both Varieties. 

Does anyone have them, but not labeled? Am I searching for something that does not really exist despite what the Charlton says? Thanks. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: 1983 Canada Small Cent Far and Near Beads Varieties in PL, SP, and PR.

Here is a photo from the book on how to identify them. 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Interesting, isn't it?  Like you, I found several references on-line (blogspots, forums, etc.) that say they each exist BUT no one has photos of each and many collectors say they've never seen them all.   Like this:

http://canadasonecentcoins.blogspot.com/2012/12/small-cent-varieties_3483.html

So I can see why you're frustrated!  I wish I could help, but I cannot. 

There is still a Coins & Paper Money board, and you might post there, as well, but it's pretty dead:
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Coins-Paper-Money/bd-p/28

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Your post is on the C and PM forum, it was not deleted it just has not been responded to because hardly anyone goes there anymore, they got driven off by a troll and went somewhere better.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Coins-Paper-Money/1983-Canada-Small-Cents-Far-amp-Near-Beads-Varieties...

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thank you. It was not showing up on any of my lists. Then it popped back up again. 

Thanks. 😉

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

That is the checklist that I am using. There is a moderator on one of the coin forums that claims he has both varieties in PL and SP, but not proof. He says that in Proof, 1983 only exists in Near Beads. He refuses to produce photos to prove that Far and Near Beads exist in PL and SP, so I have no idea if he is telling the truth or not. I can only find 1983 Near Beads in PL, SP, and Proof. I have both varieties in business strike Gem BU Red. I cannot find a single photo of a Far Beads in PL, SP, or Proof on the Internet. Far and Near Beads are both listed in the onlne price guide in PL and SP, but the guide does not include prices for Proof coins. In MS-64, the guide list Far Beads for $1 and Near Beads for $24. I paid $3.50 for Near Beads and $1 for Far Beads in "unslabbed" Gem BU Red. The guide list Far Beads for $1 and Near Beads for $2 in PL-64 and Far Beads for $5 and Near Beads for $10 in SP-66. I paid $1 each for Near Beads in PL and SP, but have not been able to get the Far Beads variety in PL, SP, or Proof. 

I think the Far Beads variety probably does exist in PL and SP, but is just very uncommon and hard to find. However, I cannot find any photos on the Internet proving they exist, so maybe they do not. I do not think Far Beads exists in Proof. 

Thank you and happy holidays. 😉

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@pasasap wrote:

Am I searching for something that does not really exist despite what the Charlton says? Thanks. 

if you've checked the latest Charlton, the info is most likely correct... you could also check the latest Haxby; it's pretty much on par with Charlton for accuracy...

collectors in Canada in general are sticklers for accurate information... if they find incorrect information in Charlton they would do their best to get it corrected...

Message 7 of 7
latest reply