cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Reviews" of a coin are ridiculous, aren't they?

I know it's been present for a couple of years, and always thought they were useless clutter, like half of the stuff ebay has done in the last ten years.  Am I alone in believing that showing 'Reviews'  in a coin listing is stupid?

For example, I'm looking at a 1982-P Kennedy half dollar.

A half dozen people left a 'review'  seemingly intending to leave feedback?   I assume, but can't even be sure, that the reviews are from people who bought a 1982-P half dollar  (from a different seller!)  one or two years ago. 

This isn't some new electronic gadget or a movie on dvd.

No two coins are alike, and there is a wide dispersion in how honest coin sellers are, but every 1982-P half dollar has fifty cent face value.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: "Reviews" of a coin are ridiculous, aren't they?

wrote:

If I were an active buyer of a specific and expensive coin, I'd want to know as much as possible about it before squeezing the trigger. I wouldn't discount any forum opinion or "review" of it whether printed or online.

For instance, two problem-free, authentic, slabbed coins are valued at $ 1000, yet one I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole, the other I'd grab whenever it came into the marketplace at or below the listed current value. A good value is something that has a greater potential for appreciation than do the alternatives for the same price.

Any information that freely gives me a leg up on the competition I'll gladly take.

The reason that this is a problem is because those reviews are not for the coin you are looking to buy, they are for past listings of a coin with the same description and not likely to have any relevance to the coin currently listed.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Yes, it's pointless to have reviews for any type of collectibles or other types of items that are not clones. It can also hurt the seller, since a "review" left for a counterfeit years ago will show up on a genuine coin listing using those same categories/keywords.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@wheresthespoon wrote:

Yes, it's pointless to have reviews for any type of collectibles or other types of items that are not clones. It can also hurt the seller, since a "review" left for a counterfeit years ago will show up on a genuine coin listing using those same categories/keywords.

That's why you don't use the eBay catolog for coins.

https://bio.link/langs
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

If I were an active buyer of a specific and expensive coin, I'd want to know as much as possible about it before squeezing the trigger. I wouldn't discount any forum opinion or "review" of it whether printed or online.

For instance, two problem-free, authentic, slabbed coins are valued at $ 1000, yet one I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole, the other I'd grab whenever it came into the marketplace at or below the listed current value. A good value is something that has a greater potential for appreciation than do the alternatives for the same price.

Any information that freely gives me a leg up on the competition I'll gladly take.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

wrote:

The reason that this is a problem is because those reviews are not for the coin you are looking to buy, they are for past listings of a coin with the same description and not likely to have any relevance to the coin currently listed.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hello!

Perhaps just a before/after pic without blather?

Message 6 of 6
latest reply