cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

--THE NEW COIN CHAT ROOM--

Hate the discussion board format? Wish there was a place to have a running chat like in the old ebay chat rooms that they took away?

Here is the solution, one thread devoted to chatting about anything and everything about coins all in the same place.

Post whatever is on your mind. There is no official topic here. So let's get the chatting started.

Message 1 of 11,869
latest reply
11,868 REPLIES 11,868

On the other hant, perhaps tanacat is using an old marketing method called 'testing the market'.

Why not list an Australian Penny at that price level?  Why not indeed?  Perhaps it will sell at that

price. Perhaps not.  A seller will not know until trying the 'testing the market' method!

On the other hant, advertising a roll of wheat pennies is a diffrent story. Heron could understand

a roll of pennies or a roll of cents.  However, a roll of wheat pennies leaves Heron perplexed.

Heron has never seen a wheat penny.  Sixty eight years plus now and NO wheat pennies sighted.

That does not include the 1st 10 years of Heron's life.

Regards,

xx

Message 11416 of 11,869
latest reply

@elheron-grande wrote:

On the other hant, perhaps tanacat is using an old marketing method called 'testing the market'.

Why not list an Australian Penny at that price level?  Why not indeed?  Perhaps it will sell at that

price. Perhaps not.  A seller will not know until trying the 'testing the market' method!

On the other hant, advertising a roll of wheat pennies is a diffrent story. Heron could understand

a roll of pennies or a roll of cents.  However, a roll of wheat pennies leaves Heron perplexed.

Heron has never seen a wheat penny.  Sixty eight years plus now and NO wheat pennies sighted.

That does not include the 1st 10 years of Heron's life.

Regards,

xx

grande, penny is just slang for cent.  After all, this country used to be a British colony, so cents have probably been called pennies for several hundred years (longer than you are old, I believe).  🙂 🙂 🙂 😉

http://www.4information.com/trivia/correct-cent-penny/

Message 11417 of 11,869
latest reply

GOLD COIN chat:  Some information of interest, perhaps!  Headline in recent WSJ states,

"Gold From North Korea Stymies U.S. Firms"...

el Heron will summarize:  Gold from North Korea is apparently considered to be a 'conflict

mineral'.  Some USA manufacturing corporations have actually traced their gold supplies

and discovered perhaps there IS some North Korean gold in the materials used in their

manufacturing process.

However, Heron is curious about this 'conflict mineral' situation. Perhaps there are some USA

gold COIN collectors that have coins from a part of the Orient that could very easily contain

some 'conflict minerals'.  This could get serious.  If the USA gummint decides that folks own

gold COINS containing some a that 'conflict minerals' stuff there could possibly be some fines

or even confiscation in the future.  Quien sabe? Who knows? 

In addition, who determines what is a 'conflict mineral'?  Is it the USA State Dept?

Could there be an Executive Order in the near future? 

Questions abound for the COIN collectors in the USA.

Especially the COIN collectors owning gold COINS that could contain a 'conflict mineral' mined

in N. Korea... something to ponder.

INFO SOURCE: WALL ST. JOURNAL 5 JUNE 2014 PAGE B1 writ by Joel Schectman, Regards,

xx

Message 11418 of 11,869
latest reply

Hi Norm, your post 23 June 2014 at 1035 hrs: Yes, all you say is the truth!  However, Heron will

continue onward with his effort to 'educate' the population in the USA that a Cent piece is not a

Penny.  It has been a long tough battle and is most likely a losing battle. However, there shojuld

be TRUTH in advertising at the very least ey? Quien Sabe? Perhaps? nyuk

[This lifelong endeavor of el Heron is not unlike the folks that want to educate all of the folks in

the USA that are ignorant of COIN grading and detecting counterfeit COINS. It appears that Heron

and the good folks with those good intentions are both fighting losing battles...chuckle chuckle]

xx

Message 11419 of 11,869
latest reply

regarding conflict minerals...

Congress decides to which countries the rule applies, and the SEC administers the Dodd-Frank Act.

Message 11420 of 11,869
latest reply

Hola Norm, your post of 23 June 2014 at 1305 expurgated edition: Tanks!  Interesting info. 

With the US Congress locked in constant non-agreements the folks owning possible

"Conflict Minerals" are most likely 'safe' for awhile.  We shall see what transpires.

It is an interesting world.  Regards,

xx

Message 11421 of 11,869
latest reply

@rottnrog wrote:

Good, because dallass and blew heron are enough !!!!

Sorry !!

More and more, I've come to understand why so many Coin Chat regulars posted stuff like this.

Message 11422 of 11,869
latest reply

@koincollektor wrote:

Smed...that's kinda the way I think Johnny rabbit is.  He don't seem to be a Heron kinda fellow but more of a Hobbes43 kinda fellow...Although I took Hobbes wrong when I first came in the room we both ended up being pretty darn good friends and I even met him at the coin show in Baltimore. Same show where I met DC.  I wish now I'd of stayed on later for the Swords/Cell event but had to get on back to home before they got there.

Or this.

Message 11423 of 11,869
latest reply

@indian_jeff wrote:

@rottnrog wrote:

Good, because dallass and blew heron are enough !!!!

Sorry !!

More and more, I've come to understand why so many Coin Chat regulars posted stuff like this.

the quoted poster and i are at opposite ends of the political spectrum, which he took perverted delight in pointing out in every passive-aggressive reply to my postings... guess who got blamed for always bringing politics into things?

hint: it wasn't him...

Message 11424 of 11,869
latest reply

Your 26 June 2014 1218: If that is referring to RR being at the opposite end of the

spetrum then Heron can certainly agree with that statement.  Whether some folks agreed

or disagreed about COIN grading or other COIN related discussions, a few of us appeared

to be on the same page politicalwise!   Regards,\

xx

Message 11425 of 11,869
latest reply

Yes, RR was off in liberal lala land, but right from the get go, there were a slew of the new folks warning us about two posters. At first I assumed it was political. Now I think it went deeper than that. 

The phrase "bull in a china shop" springs to mind. But that might be being too kind. A bull doesn't understand the damage he is causing by being in an inappropriate place.

Message 11426 of 11,869
latest reply

Well, a 'slew' probably not!  That word means 'a large number'.  There were only about 8 or 10

regulares posting regularly on the original COIN & PAPER MONEY BOARD.  In addition, several

had coronary thrombosees and about half a dozen passed over the great divide.  Heron has a list

of those that reached the celestial heavens.  Yes, Heron just counted and the list is 6 that have

'left' the building.  Many of the discussions involved coin 'grading'.  Some folks took the side that

coin grading was somehow a standardized situation.  Some of us took the other side. Meaning

that coin grading is a highly subjective situation and depends on the eye of the beholder.

It was not until November 2012 that the great Q. David article appeared in Coin World.  In Q. David's

regular column "The Joys of Collecting", wherein he sayeth this;

"As grading is, has been, and always will be a matter of subjectivity and opinion.... etc".

If that statement had been made in 2000 or 2004 or 2006 the discussions on the original COIN

chatting board might have been a bit more cordial.  On the other hand, each person has his or

her own opinion and that will most likely never end.  Regards,

xx

Message 11427 of 11,869
latest reply

@elheron-grande wrote:
Yes, Heron just counted and the list is 6 that have

'left' the building.

i can think of 5...

would you share your list?

Message 11428 of 11,869
latest reply

Maybe it was just a slew of references to two posters who seemed to be at war with with the others: DF & BH. It was mentioned that those two posters were not to be allowed to post on their new chat site.

I'm starting to figure out why.

One of the posters on the other side talked about the vanquishing of others.

Anyway, all of those posters have left us. 

Smedley and Amy and you have remained. Maybe I'm missing someone. Amy is a warm and wonderful human being, as far as I can tell. Smedley is bright and knows the topic and his posts add to the conversation. They make posts in places that make sense.

Message 11429 of 11,869
latest reply

@*smedley* wrote:

@elheron-grande wrote:
Yes, Heron just counted and the list is 6 that have

'left' the building.

i can think of 5...

would you share your list?

just remembered the 6th... but... i can't remember all of their usernames...

Message 11430 of 11,869
latest reply