cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indian head/buffalo silver copy?

I just recently bought a 1 Troy oz .999 silver Indian head/ buffalo round. I have seen several up for auction so I felt okay about it. When I received it, I saw that it has "Copy# CGO393 below the Indian head. Is this actually silver or have I been scammed. I did not buy it for anything more than the silver value so there were no expectations of it being a valuable minted coin/currency.
Thanks for any info you can offer!
Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Indian head/buffalo silver copy?

It looks like the last three digits of the "COPY #" are the same. 

What is the number on the original post item?

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

hello

i have several of these indain head coins with a copy number on theme and state quartes as well. can some one tell me how i can find out if they are fake?? or real??

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

when it is in teh plastic coin holder how much does it have to weigh to be silver?

also does silver have to be marked .9999 silver? 

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

If "COPY is stamped on your coin, you may deduce two possiblies:

i.) It is a REAL fake, or

ii.) It is a FAKE real.

(Hope that helps?) 

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

Hola B-17 - your post of 19 Junio 2016 0755 horas:  Neat 'play on words'.  Actually,

el Heron owns one a the FAKE Reales.  Bought it about 10 years pasado.  It was

marked on 2X2 as FAKE.  And it certainly was.  It was some sort of Copper alloy.

However, Heron thought it was a neat item.  It was one a the more scarce dates

of Reales. Heron believes cost was about $2.99 USA.  Heron passed it on gratis

to a collector of 'fakes, counterfeits, and copies'.  He is writing a book on the

subject of 'fakes,counterfiets, and copies'.  Heron hopes he finishes this proyecto

before Heron crosses the Great Divide!. Might be an interesting story. Hang tough.

Respectos.

xx

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

I bought 2 and want to know exact weight. Mine weigh 29.965grams and 30.547grams. I’m new to silver buying and want to know if there is range they could weigh or are they fake? My scale is a scientific one and very accurate. I don’t want to complain about fake but don’t want to keep either if fake. Thanks

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

@vmlm wrote:

I bought 2 and want to know exact weight. Mine weigh 29.965grams and 30.547grams. I’m new to silver buying and want to know if there is range they could weigh or are they fake? My scale is a scientific one and very accurate. I don’t want to complain about fake but don’t want to keep either if fake. Thanks

i would be very skeptical... TTBOMK there is not a range... they should weigh 31.1 grams...

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

Thank you. I will bring to pawn shop to try and verify fake further. Should I return them as not delivered as described or does eBay have other methods to handle counterfeit items. The idea of sending them back only to appear again is concerning. 

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

@vmlm wrote:

Thank you. I will bring to pawn shop to try and verify fake further. Should I return them as not delivered as described or does eBay have other methods to handle counterfeit items. The idea of sending them back only to appear again is concerning. 

@vmlm

Don't open an "item not received" case! Since it is an ounce, I'm guessing they shipped it with tracking. They can add the tracking to the case and easily win. If they just threw a few stamps on an envelope, that would be dishonest and they would have to refund and you would get to keep it. If it did turn out to be real, then...you'd have a free silver round. In other words, it's stealing.

Take them to a dealer or someone who can test them to see how much silver is in them or do a quick test yourself by dropping it on a table. Google the 'drop test'. If it fails the drop test, open a return (Item not as described), and you should either get a return label or refund.

Good luck.

https://bio.link/langs
Message 24 of 27
latest reply

Thank you all. This has been a good learning tool. I brought them to a dealer and one failed the acid test. We didn’t even test the other one. Because it’s weight was off by more than a gram. The seller is agreeable to a refund and I’m sending them back. He is not a silver dealer and had a couple in his safe he sold. I hate the idea of not knowing for sure what’s in our boxes. Or more correctly my box. Thanks again all

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

The eBay marketplace has become increasingly infested with this carp over the past few years. Much of it mimicks standard US Mint issues. The forgers will change a minor thing or two (mostly with the inscriptions rather than the devices) in order to evade counterfeiting laws by making it appear convincing. However, as US legal authorities have done so in the recent past and will likely do in the future, go after those minters making this type of deceptive junque when the confusion can be interpreted as being too close to a US Mint product. This goes as far as both the item itself and/or the packaging.

The most significant problem US numismatic marketplaces face with this stuff is that it is nearly all of it is manufactured overseas (China, India, Eastern Europe, etc.). With this, there are legal and international/diplomatic issues with intercepting this stuff from entering our country. Tighter borders and better customs enforcement will help, but it won't stop the inflow as importers will resort to deceptive mis-labelling and unconventional shipping methods. Putting those overseas minters out of business will cause a diplomatic rift unless legal issues related to monetary flows show irregularity from treaty signed and agreed norms.

Each year, the quality of the fakes gets better - so good in fact, that it can visually deceive seasoned numismatic professionals as well.

The best precaution a potential buyer can do is to not buy any of these items on eBay. Doing so is especially risky because most sellers are anonymous and the unscrupulous know how to game the system to their advantage (eBay return process, paypal, etc.).

Whereas, on the other hand, at least buying a bullion item at a brick and mortar store can be compared with a known authentic example in hand, weighed and measured before purchasing. A receipt for its sale can be obtained. All of these can go a long way in preventing one from being defrauded and make it easy to go after a fraud (local police, state's attorney general, etc.) for recourse.

Thanks for resurrecting this topic. I'm happy things worked out well with the seller accepting your return of a damaged, but fake, item. Many unscrupulous sellers will complain over receiving a damaged item - even an alleged or proven fake. Furthermore, eBay will put the buyer through hoops in obtaining a legal document from a numismatic professional that states the item is a forgery.

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

26 Dec 2017 - Hola Too-toot; your post of 25 Dec 2017 1202 hrs:  Well said!  A good essay por seguro!   Heron will add that part of the problem could be the amount of human smuggling and drug smuggling into the USofA.   It could be that the Customs & Inmigraciones departamento are overloaded with what they consider to be areas of 'priority' smuggling.   In other woids, the watchdogs cannot get too excited about 'counterfeit' coins.    Is there a solution to this problema?  Probably not.  Counterfeiting is as old as coin minting.   Never has been 'stamped out'.  If smuggling into the USofA becomes more difficult, the counterfeiters will begin making their counterfeits IN the USofA.  Most likely.  Regardos.  

Message 27 of 27
latest reply