cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Gold Buffalo category distinction: bullion vs. "other U.S. coins"

I hope the following is helpful re: accuracy of coin category classification in a listing:

This week, I listed 1-oz gold American Buffalo coins. Several potential buyers asked if I would be willing to change the listing category from the existing classification of "bullion>gold bullion>gold bullion coins>American Buffalo" to just "U.S. Coins" so that buyers can use a coupon restricted to "U.S. Coins" category. The answer is, it's against the rules.

No change in listing category for bullion coins is possible under eBay rules, as per eBay Customer Service discussions Nov. 15, 2017. Listing American Buffalo bullion coins in a different category places the seller at risk of a buyer opening a case by legitimately claiming the coin was not as described. Details below from two eBay officials:

• Today's eBay Community Chat Team Leader advised in writing against changing the listing category b/c the "U.S. Coins" classification is not correct for the 1-ounce American Buffalo gold coin. Here's eBay's statement from the Chat today:
    • "Hi @bremi8764_crzmeyvev, many coupons are offered for specific items or categories. Because changing the category would misrepresent the item (which limits the protections we can offer you) and would go against our miscatagorization policy, I strongly advise not changing the category."
  • Ebay also concurred separately with my reasoning, below, via telephone today:
    • The 1-ounce American Buffalo coins would not be properly categorized outside of the bullion class of coin. The U.S. Mint classifies the 1-ounce American Buffalo and other high-%-precious-metal coins as bullion; they are not classified as "commemorative" b/c they aren't issued to honor a special person, place, or event.
    • Because eBay created a category specific to bullion American Buffalo coins (& other metal bullion categories), U.S. bullion coins cannot be accurately classified as merely, "U.S. Coins," not even under the "Other U.S. Coins" category. "Other U.S. Coins" applies to coins that have no specific category identified. American Buffalo gold bullion coins have their own classification, so they cannot be "Other U.S. Coins."
    • Also, in fairness to buyers expressing interest in the listed coins (and to the eBay marketplace, generally), changing the category would do all a disservice by misrepresenting the item classification.
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: American Gold Buffalo category distinction: bullion vs. "other U.S. coins"

another thing that's frowned upon is advertising your own listings...

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Where and/or how can I get my hands on some of them coupons?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Just to be sure my efforts were not misunderstood: I made no effort to advertise my own listings and described the context of the situtation to be helpful to others. I did quite a bit of research on the topic of categorizing coins and found lots of complaints about Ebay not policing the listing categories. My hope was that the detailed reasoning would be useful for the community in its interaction with eBay reps and sellers.

The bullion coin classification problem would be easy for eBay to fix: they could automatically designate the category based on the detailed specs sellers provide. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

oh, i'm sorry...

i was completely confused by the first four words of your post...

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Such an issue would be entirely moot if we were in a precious metals bull market.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@bremi8764_crzmeyvev wrote:

Just to be sure my efforts were not misunderstood: I made no effort to advertise my own listings and described the context of the situtation to be helpful to others. I did quite a bit of research on the topic of categorizing coins and found lots of complaints about Ebay not policing the listing categories. My hope was that the detailed reasoning would be useful for the community in its interaction with eBay reps and sellers.

The bullion coin classification problem would be easy for eBay to fix: they could automatically designate the category based on the detailed specs sellers provide. 

This is the result of using the eBay catalog page to list the item.  A great many of these catalog pages have entirely incorrect and ridiculous categories attached to them, and you cannot change it to the correct category.  Syed, over on the Product Catalog Board is soliciting help to fix the eBay catalog, which is apparently his job.  Let's just say he's got some job security!

I have no idea which would be better... don't use the catalog and put it in the right category?  Or, go with the catalog?

A year ago, I'd just say "don't use the catalog".  But eBay's new methods of "surfacing" listings to buyers often has the buyer ending up on some eBay "Landing Page" now (rather than an actual listing... something like how Amazon runs their site).  If they end up there, and you didn't use the catalog, they won't be shown your item.  But if they're looking in the correct catagory, and you did use the catalog, they won't see your item.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply