cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

warranties

I want to throw this out there as Ebay seems to protect the seller more then the buyer in this case. I do my fair share of purchasing (been a member here since 2000) on here and bought items that have 1 year to lifetime warranties on their items. If the item fails, the buyer (me) needs to go back to the seller and ask for a replacement or refund on that item. If the seller doesn't reply , your basically out of luck and the warranty doesn't apply any longer. Example, i bought a AC/Heat control for my silverado. I was purchased back in 2021 but they have a lifetime warranty on it . I recently failed,i reached out and they do not reply to my emails so im out $70 and have to spend another $70? This is one of the reasons why i have drifted away from ebay and went to other places like Amazon. As for now their customer service seems to be fair and super easy returns ..

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

warranties

Any time I want to buy something with a warranty, I buy through an authorized dealer.

Was the seller from China?

They offer those warranties, but they are as good as the items they sell.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

warranties

If you want a valid warranty you have to buy from a factory authorized seller. There are very few actual warranties with third party sellers online, especially the Asian sellers that just copy each other's listings and pics (often where the "warranty" is).

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

warranties

If it is a manufacturer's warranty, it will be no good because manufacturers just do not honor warranties for items sold on eBay, from non-authorized dealers. 

If it's the seller's "personal" warranty, that's laughable because once the eBay 30-day MBG has expired and the (usually) 180-day credit card chargeback period has expired, there is not a blessed thing a buyer can do.  I doubt you could even file in small claims court over a $70 part you used for two years.

And, trust me, you will not be returning something purchased on Amazon after two years, either, unless you are actually buying it there from the manufacturer or an authorized dealer, if there are any such on Amazon.

-

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

warranties

"... so im out $70 and have to spend another $70?"

@hpjunke 

Quite possibly. But spend your next $70 at a parts house.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

warranties

No hes local

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

warranties

There is no warranty beyond the 'sites' return policy, which is 30 days here and NOT ANY better at Amazon either. 

'Warranties' are backed by Manufacturers, NOT sellers. 

'Warranties' like 'lifetime' need to be purchased IN person at a local AP retailer. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

warranties

just kind of a scam in my opinion. Thats like a dealer selling you a car and the radio goes out but they dont honor it but they said its LIfetime warranty on it  .We buy things based alot on warranties  so its ok to misinform and mislead the buyer on Ebay .. nice

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

warranties

Its not that big of a deal , my gripe is sellers arnt honest and ebay doesnt do anything about it . Ebay did say they are working on this exact issue but i will believe that when i see it. Amazon has been good so far , i had an issue they stepped in and i got a replacement even after a year , still better then Ebay 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

warranties

Noted just wont buy here as much until as they said were working on this exact issue. I feel like if in the descriptions they say lifetime or 2 years etc no matter what , Ebay will have them on the hook for that time as long as their account is active and in good standing .. This will make the customer either get a replacement or refund for the particular item.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

warranties

Did you paint and install this item?

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

warranties

I get it now ...Then why is it ok to put it in the description??

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

warranties

paint ? No installed it yes

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

warranties

@hpjunke wrote:

I get it now ...Then why is it ok to put it in the description??

Because it could be a 'manufactures' warranty as MOST warranties are 'through the manufacturer'. 

What does the fine print say?

Did you know a 12 Month 'warranty' on a Car (used) from MANY places are ONLY good if you have ALL the receipts that ALL interval work was performed as shown in the handbook?

Not unlike a TV or PowerTool bought at Walmart or Home Depot- unless they have a 'deal' with the manufacturer to 'take in' all warranties through the warranty period (which MANY items are NOT set up this way)..it's basically the same thing. 

Sample of Black N Decker/Dewalt 'Lifetime Warranty' (says do NOT take it to the Retailer)

FULL LIFETIME WARRANTY

DEWALT MECHANICS TOOLS FULL LIFETIME WARRANTY

DEWALT Mechanics Tools are covered by the manufacturer’s FULL LIFETIME WARRANTY. If any DEWALT Mechanics Tool ever fails for any reason, DEWALT will replace it. NO PROOF OF PURCHASE required.

DO NOT RETURN PRODUCT TO STORE. Please call 1-800-xxxx, contact Customer Service through the form at xxx and DEWALT will ship a replacement. Tools covered include: wrenches, sockets, ratchets and drive accessories.

THIS FULL LIFETIME WARRANTY EXCLUDES ALL INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. SOME STATES AND COUNTRIES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

warranties

There was a court case to a big electronics retailer over life time warranties. The court ruled they are NOT enforceable.  The warranty is for the life time of the warranty, not yours or the product.  So if they will honor it, great but don't buy because of it.

I have tools from a biggie that won't honor theirs either.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply