cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

re: Ebay allowing obscene items for auction!

Hi. I’m writing because eBay allows its sellers to use infamous artist Andres Serrano’s disrespectful and blasphemous image of the Madonna & Child on the fronts and backs of auctioned T-shirts. 

As both a buyer and seller I am exceedingly offended by this and ask that Ebay refuse to allow this kind of item to be sold on it's site. I ask others who are equally offened to make their wishes known to Ebay.

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Re: re: Ebay allowing obscene items for auction!

@mrpkguy wrote:

Hi. I’m writing because eBay allows its sellers to use infamous artist Andres Serrano’s disrespectful and blasphemous image of the Madonna & Child on the fronts and backs of auctioned T-shirts. 

As both a buyer and seller I am exceedingly offended by this and ask that Ebay refuse to allow this kind of item to be sold on it's site. I ask others who are equally offened to make their wishes known to Ebay.

I am a open minded individual. What may offend another person, may not offend me. If you find the items offensive, you are free to report them to ebay. Before doing so, check the list of prohibited and restricted items that cannot be listed. 

Message 16 of 54
latest reply

it's called free speech perhaps you should research it?

Message 17 of 54
latest reply

Calling a picture of someones urine with a cross floating in it art is stretching the term "art" a little. 

I don't find this offending at all.  As a matter of fact - the very thought amuses me.   But I'm an athiest.

I saw that...

~KARMA
Message 18 of 54
latest reply

People who get offended offended me

Message 19 of 54
latest reply

Fortunately, we do not have blasphemy laws here in the U.S. thanks to that thing known as the First Amendment.  Blasphemy is a make believe concept decided on by the leaders of the various modern mythologies, and should never be a component of secular law.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 20 of 54
latest reply

Streisand Effect.

You just showed more people the image that offends you than if you did nothing.

You literally just helped market that image.

Message 21 of 54
latest reply

@monster-deals wrote:

Streisand Effect.

You just showed more people the image that offends you than if you did nothing.

You literally just helped market that image.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 22 of 54
latest reply

"As both a buyer and seller I am exceedingly offended by this and ask that Ebay refuse to allow this kind of item to be sold on it's site. I ask others who are equally offened to make their wishes known to Ebay."

Whats next? Banning stuff that doesn't conform to your religion?

Maybe rainbow tee shirts and what not? 

Message 23 of 54
latest reply

i am deeply offended by your listing to sell diabetic test strips! i am not a diabetic and dont want you selling them, not to me nor a diabetic needing them!  isnt that the same as your request?

Message 24 of 54
latest reply

Im offended that you are offended that they are offended that we are offended that the offensive item offends you.  Other then offending people the offensive item offends animals and small fish.  The first thing that you so when something offends you is to not look at it.  It is not up to the offensive police to police what others can and cannot be offended by.  I am personally not offended by the item and take offense that you assume I am offended by this item and believe that your speech should be kicked off the forum.  See how that works.

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 25 of 54
latest reply

I get offended when I see people reselling test strips that were bought and paid for by medicaid. Not the case here but there are plenty on ebay doing it. The boxes say "Not for retail sale" on them

Message 26 of 54
latest reply

I am offended by a recent thread on this forum of a sex toy seller who complained that her buyers will return items used and Ebay allowed it,giving reason like it is too small,too big,wont fit,and the thread goes on and on about how some sellers will rinse and resell the used returns and others all chime in with their 2 cents and seller just keep complaining and complaining when Ebay is not going to change its return policy when she could have switched to sell something like Bible,rosaries,psalms,penance,karma,vegan brownies.

I browse all the sex toys available on Ebay and get pretty offended ,I have lost complete respect for Ebay as a venue provider !

But then I may try to buy one and try it on for size,what do you guys think?

Do they still send it in disguised unmarked package? 

Message 27 of 54
latest reply

I got angry when I was at local Kroger and there was this machine dispensing $1 Starbuck coffee coupon and they are ALMOST GONE.

I often wonder where Ebay sellers get to sell so many of these coupons on EBAY for good money,now I know.

I managed to get the last 2 coupons to buy my favorite Latte  coffee!

Message 28 of 54
latest reply

Very controversial piece of art it is. Many view it as very offensive, many view it from an artistic expression, albeit, rather shocking, of the love of Christ and what he endured for peoples sins. One review I read decribed human's sin as the urine, and what human's do every day. This is in line with a Christian perspective of course. He puts up with even human urine and loves us anyway. Hope this did not offend anyone. Just a different perspective and how all art work is interpreted very differently by each indiviudual. 

Message 29 of 54
latest reply

From both the liberal and the conservative sides I notice creeping authoritarianism in America today. If you don't like something don't look at it. It is likely not a good business decision for eBay to be taking sides on contraversial things that are legal. If eBay banned the sales of the offensive shirt it would likely anger a number of libertarians / athesists / rebels. Stop trying to control other people.

Also some things at obscene can be used in a non obscene or not as intentended way. Maybe a wealthy Christian can buy up all the stock of the this shirt and burn it, for example. Is the sale of historic Nazi flags / uniforms banned on eBay? I don't know but if it is a "vintage" historic artifact I don't immagine it would be banned but maybe. These things may be offensive to some people too.

Do you think it would be reasonable to go after the t-shirt printer who printed the shirts and maybe the cotton farmers and textile mills who wove provided the raw material of the shirt. Would it be a good use of these businesses  resources to investigate to whole chain of use of their raw material products? Similarly would it be a good use of eBay's resources to micromanage listings for religious appropriateness? Primary producers and sales venues are not responsible for every aspect of everything related to their product (eBay's product is its selling forum). If they are held responsible for micro-policing things that will only increase costs for everyone and make whoever is discriminated against mad.

Would you support eBay banning the sale of "No-Homo" t-shirts for example, assuming anyone would wear them (maybe they exist as gags)?

Message 30 of 54
latest reply