cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

package misdelivered- I know where, just can't get it

I probably initially put this in the wrong help group- asking in shipping...

So we have a new postal carrier on our route and we've received 2 days of mail from other addresses and I suppose it was our turn to finally have our mail sent elsewhere.  The tracking shows "delivered- parcel box" and rather than deliver the package to our house, the carrier decided to put it in on of those community boxes with 20 or so small individual mail boxes and 2 keyed parcel doors.  The carrier is supposed to put the key in that person's small mail box for oversized boxes.  My parcel was put in a parcel box and the carrier either took the key with them or put the key in the wrong person's mail box.  I have no idea who was given the key.  We even have our own private security box by the front door just for parcels, but the carrier never checked.  What are my options?  
1) contact the seller and have them do an insurance claim?
2) tracking shows delivered, just to the wrong person.  Do I file a SNAD if the seller doesn't respond?

What are my responsibilities?  I took a picture of where it was delivered- the box is closed, the key gone and dropped in somebody's mail slot.  I just have no way to get it.  I paid PayPal with credit card.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Start with your local postmaster.

The carrier needs further training.

It is the carrier's responsibility to deliver to the correct address.

If you have both a community mailbox and a house mailbox, it might help the carrier if you put a note in your community box letting her know that. Carriers are usually literate, but rarely psychic.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

You have been harmed by the carrier , address the issue with the carrier

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Start with your local postmaster.

The carrier needs further training.

It is the carrier's responsibility to deliver to the correct address.

If you have both a community mailbox and a house mailbox, it might help the carrier if you put a note in your community box letting her know that. Carriers are usually literate, but rarely psychic.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Update: 

Since the package was dropped off on a Saturday after USPS storefront closed, I had to wait to today (Monday).  The local USPS office doesn't handle our city and I was referred to a main USPS location in another county.  I went in and was told the carrier was from another route and unfamiliar working in another city and county (uh, yeah).  But...before they could help me I had to prove the package in the parcel box was mine.  I referred them to tracking and they replied I had to prove the box was mine and not someone else's package inside the parcel box.  Given it's a closed metal box, that isn't happening.  

I called the USPS 1-800 number and gave the info and they said they'd be happy to resolve my problem in the next 1-3 business days.

In the mean time upon returning from the post office, the person who had the keys to the parcel box removed the package.  So any one of my 30 or so neighbors has my package.  Luckily they were honest and brought my package to my house.  

Score 1 for honesty.  Given my neighbors, it's probably close to a 50/50 of getting my package back.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply