cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

item not recieved

I ordered an item. It failed to arrive. I contacted the seller. they agreed to resend. The item still failed to arrive.

I recontacted the seller but 3 days later, Ebay called the case closed as no contact had been made for a period of time.  I am new to Ebay. Is this the normal fradulent activity expected on Ebay ?

Ronn Ballantyne

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: item not recieved

No, but you need to review seller's feedback profiles prior to buying to see what past buyers have to say about their transactions.  Be a savvy online shopper.

The eBay money back guarantee would have refunded you , but you needed to return to the case details and and escalate to eBay for help.  You did not do that so eBay has no idea the issue was not resolved and closed the case.

If you paid through PayPal, open a case there and ESCALATE 7 days later.

Open a case in Paypal's Resolution Center
https://www.paypal.com/disputes/

I am not an eBay employee. I'm a US eBay Community Mentor.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I would suggest not asking for a re-send, and knowing and acting on the case deadlines.  There would have been verbage on the case you opened, telling you that you could ask Ebay to step in, escalate the case, in three days.  It seems you didn't do this.  With no activity, the case closed.  That is not protection for fraud, that is closing a case that is not showing action.  

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@ronballantyn-0,

"I am new to Ebay. Is this the normal fradulent activity expected on Ebay"?

Unfortunately, this happens more than it should and mostly with very high volume sellers from China.  They especially try and game new members, because for the most part they have not read the terms of the Money Back Guarantee, and its time frames for asking ebay to step in if a seller does not follow up on their offered solution.  They also use the stalling tactic to prevent the buyer from leaving negative feedback. You have 60 days from the date you pay to do that. below is a link to the MBG

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

As a new member, you need to learn to check each seller's feedback profile before buying from them. To do that click on the number in (parenthesis) to the right of their ID/name.  On the page that opens you will see where they are registered, and the number of nonpositive feedback they have received.  You can click on the numbers of nonpositives to read only those comments. 

Do not go by their feedback percentage alone.  You may think a high volume seller with a 95.9% rating is good, but by ebay standards they are not.  A good high volume seller will have a percentage of 99.6% or better. Those with less than that should be checked out. I completely avoid sellers with less than 99%. 

FYI when buying clothing from China keep in mind their sizing is for orientals, not westerners.  Their sizing can be off by quite a bit, and often the quality you see in a photo will not be what you receive.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I suppose I should have expected that from a Chinese seller. I just feel that EBAY somewhat complicit in leading me down the garden path. I contacted EBAY right away after getting a second lukewarm response from the seller, the reply was that the case was closed. Rather abrupt and convenient I thought. I then asked to have the case elevated but was met with a clearly computer generated reply. I have however learned a lesson. I have also taken legal advice.

One would imagine that by allowing items to be advertised on  some website and creating the impression that it was safe to go ahead with a purchase, would carry some kind of moral responsibility.

Clearly with EBAY, this is not the case !

I will go out of my way in a fit of moral crusade to make this known to as many people as possible using the vehicle of social media. My Credit Card company however, will recover the monies !

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

You can issue a refund with PayPal :

• On the My Account Overview page, find the item you want to refund and click Details.
  • If you don’t see the item that needs a refund, click All Activity.
  • On the Transaction Details page, click Refund Payment.
  • Follow the directions to issue a refund to your buyer.
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for your help !  Not really a paypal user so paid with a credit card to paypal I gues. Should that show up ??

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@ronballantyn-0,

"One would imagine that by allowing items to be advertised on  some website and creating the impression that it was safe to go ahead with a purchase, would carry some kind of moral responsibility.

Clearly with EBAY, this is not the case" !

I hate to say this but, had you read the terms of ebay's MBG before having this issue, you would have known when you could ask them to step in and get a refund, even if the seller offered to send a replacement.

"I will go out of my way in a fit of moral crusade to make this known to as many people as possible using the vehicle of social media. My Credit Card company however, will recover the monies !"

Instead of going through your credit card provider, if it has been less than 6 months since the purchase go through Paypal.  PayPal's buyer protections work well, and they keep records of those who go through card providers, instead of them.  Also most card providers these days have a 90-120 day limit on doing charge backs, while paypal gives you 180 days from the date of purchase.

As for a moral crusade, that's up to you.  However, do keep in mind that ebay's MBG works for those who take the time to learn its terms.  Besides it was the seller who took advantage of you, not ebay. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Without going into the boring details, I contacted Ebay and the seller twice during the transaction. The second time, it was agreed to re-ship. After the re-ship arrival date passed, I repeated the process. The seller responded but not to my satisfaction. I immidiately contacted EBAY for help, at whuich pint the told me the case was close as no contact had been made for over 21 days. I sent them a copy of their own recent contact, but they shut me down.

That is in essence is how it worked !

Ironically I spent the next 3 weeks not 500m from EBAY headquarters in San Jose and am only picking this up on my return.

Fine print etc is not something that the ordinary person normally deals with. They see something advertised on a supposedly upright website and they order accordingly, assuming that everything is above board and honest.

I always assumed that the advertiser or agent for the advertiser held some level of responsibility for the items they  were pointing one towrads buying. In the case of EBAY, this is clearly not the case.

All attempts to contact EBAY have led to either a blunt computer generated response or nothing at all.

This will be the thrust of my Socila Media Campaign !

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@ronballantyn-0 wrote:

Without going into the boring details, I contacted Ebay and the seller twice during the transaction. The second time, it was agreed to re-ship. After the re-ship arrival date passed, I repeated the process. The seller responded but not to my satisfaction. I immidiately contacted EBAY for help, at whuich pint the told me the case was close as no contact had been made for over 21 days. I sent them a copy of their own recent contact, but they shut me down.

That is in essence is how it worked !

Ironically I spent the next 3 weeks not 500m from EBAY headquarters in San Jose and am only picking this up on my return.

Fine print etc is not something that the ordinary person normally deals with. They see something advertised on a supposedly upright website and they order accordingly, assuming that everything is above board and honest.

I always assumed that the advertiser or agent for the advertiser held some level of responsibility for the items they  were pointing one towrads buying. In the case of EBAY, this is clearly not the case.

All attempts to contact EBAY have led to either a blunt computer generated response or nothing at all.

This will be the thrust of my Socila Media Campaign !

eBay did nothing wrong so your campaign won’t do anything except make you look silly. eBay tells you that you have to ask them to step in. They send reminders as the deadline approaches and they tell you that the case will be closed if they don’t hear from you. No one is here defending eBay but you’ve got to take some responsibility here. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

All of the above was done !

EBAY claimed that since they heard nothing for 21 days, they considered the case closed, despite me contacting them well within that period and sending proof !

When I asked for my case to be elevated, all I got back was robotic replies !

To that end I shall continue with my "make yourself look stupid " Social Media game ! You may be the kind of person who is willing to lie down and take it from big money !!

Not I !!!

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@ronballantyn-0 wrote:

All of the above was done !

EBAY claimed that since they heard nothing for 21 days, they considered the case closed, despite me contacting them well within that period and sending proof !

When I asked for my case to be elevated, all I got back was robotic replies !

To that end I shall continue with my "make yourself look stupid " Social Media game ! You may be the kind of person who is willing to lie down and take it from big money !!

Not I !!!

You have to do more than send messages. You have to use the link to ask eBay to step in.  If only send messages, it doesn’t count. Ebays not reading those. If you asked eBay to step in, what happened? Why was the refund denied?

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

When the item did not show up initially the first time, I contacted EBAY using the correct procedure requesting a resend rather than a refund. When the item failed to show up a second time by the due date I contacted EBAY once more to be told the case was closed. At that point I asked to have the case elevated, to no avail. I have heard nothing since !

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

As a last desperate attempt. I have tried contacting EBAY which leads in ever decreasing circles and according to PAYPAL, I have had no transactions in the last year. In summary, both doors are firmly closed.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a valid contact method for EBAY.

All routes appear closed !

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Interesting how all of the helpful but non productive replies have dried up just when the pointed and most relevant questions get asked. I thought I might have one more civilised last ditch attempt prior to going feral, but like me, no one appears to know how to make contact with EBAY or even PAYPAL !

It is a merry go round without the merry 🙂

Message 15 of 16
latest reply