cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSnipe blocked by eBay

So I've used eSnipe for years, and now when I have found a really good item and want it a great deal for my collection, I loose even though my esnipe bid was $400 more than the winning bid. It turns out there is some sort of new security measures being worked on between ebay and esnipe (starting aroudn 4/29/19) ... well thanks, it looks like the security works so well that it blocked my legitimately authorized bid. I feel cheated and I have lost confidence in both systems. You would think that ebay would like as many bids as possible to come in at the last minute. The higher the final bid, the larger the commission charged to the seller. It just doesn't make sense. God I'm **bleep**!!!! How is no one getting fired?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

eSnipe blocked by eBay

@zayix,

It is too bad this happened at the wrong time. Unfortunately, this sort of thing happens from time to time, and often involves more than one sniping/bidding service. eBay increasing security is a good thing for members, it keeps our accounts secure. However, in my opinion both ebay and the services should notify their members in advance when changes are due to take effect to let them know that on a given date the changes will go into effect, and there could be issues. There has never been any messages from ebay giving members warnings. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

eSnipe blocked by eBay

Notification regarding changes that affect end users should be standard operating procedure. For most businesses it is. I agree increased security is a good thing, but it does not foster confidence when changes that affect me as an end user are done without providing a simple email to alert me in advance.  Ebay doesn't seem to have an issue sending email on any other subject! I argue that the lack of notification is a security issue in itself.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

eSnipe blocked by eBay

eSnipe is the one that should have notified you (e.g. when you set up the snipe) if you had to set something up to make their site work.  Or would you prefer to get notices from eBay of any slight change that might affect ANY single user (and would you really examine all of them that you'd be getting every day and understand which change might impact what you might do in the future?).

I use a (free) snipe service with a hands-on owner who does keep users updated.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

eSnipe blocked by eBay

@zayix wrote:

Notification regarding changes that affect end users should be standard operating procedure.

I believe you are confused about how eSnipe and other sniping services work. First of all,  in this instance there is no "end user" only a "user" zayix, not eSnipe. eSnipe is a service, and eBay has made if very clear that they are not in the business of lending tech support to sniping services.

However, there are much bigger issues with the use of external services such as eSnipe, and ones that the defensive shopper should be mindful of.

1. The sniping server needs you to provide them with your user ID and PIN. That means they can not only sign into eBay to view ALL of your data at any time they wish, they also know what you're going to bid on and how much you are willing to bid.

So, lets say an employee at eSnipe collects stamps or coins (a category that is quite easy to determine values on), if you are bidding against them at an auction, they could easily remove your snipe so they win it at a lower price, or if they actually have an eBay account where they sell (believe me they do) and you happen to place a snipe for $400.00 on one of their auctions, they could have a friend shill it for $399.00. See what I mean? In fact, they could cancel your snipe, buy the stamp for pennies then relist it for sale on their account and wait to see if you snipe it and how much in order to shill the price up to your max. Why else would these be free services?

2. Ebay is constantly changing the code they use to manage their site, as an end user (one who goes to the site to sign in) you may never notice these changes. But if you are eSnipe and use a robot to track auctions and auto-fill forms to sign in users to place bids for them, you are going to run into security changes and this will cause your entire system to malfunction. It happens quite often, resulting in bids not being placed.

3. This brings me to "tracking" your auctions. Most sniping services track and update the auctions that you have set a snipe on, so as soon as another user places a bid on an auction, your snipe list at the service is updated to reflect the new highest bid. That may sound all well and good, but what this does is "ping" the auction. A ping is the same as someone looking at an auction. The more eyes on a listing, the more likely that eBay will place it higher in the search results. And sniping services ping each auction you placed a snipe on a heck of a lot.

The last thing the defensive shopper wants is to search for months for an item, only to have eBay place it at the top of everyone else's search results thereby alerting other buyers (your competition) who will eventually jack up the price on an item that otherwise would have remained in the shadows.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

eSnipe blocked by eBay

I have been using snipe for close to 20 years. They are a reputable company and I have zero concerns. I have had very few issues over the years. None involving the security of my EBay information. Bids placed through the EBay screen can glitch too.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

eSnipe blocked by eBay

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

They are a reputable company and I have zero concerns.

You can vouch for them, and I respect that. But the truth of the matter is that we have absolutely no idea what any sniping service is doing with our information. None.

I liken it to a trained dog. You can place a treat on the floor and train him not to eat it until you give the go ahead, and he won't touch it. But as soon as you leave the room the temptation will become too much and it would be foolish to expect the dog to not eat the treat. We are not casting our faith in a particular sniping service, we are casting our faith in human nature. I'm saying, it seems foolish to expect any sniping service to not poor over the users' snipes looking for an item to bid on for themselves. You spend hours finding a good deal, they reap the benefit of your time and knowledge.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply