cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay won't let me accept Buyer's offer after I had 5 offers rejected glitch.

I made 5 offers on a listing, the final one was .79 below the asking price, each one was immediately declined, and ran out of offers. However, I left the item in my watchlist to mull over whether I wanted to buy it at the original asking price. Shortly therafter, I received an offer from the seller for .50 off their listed price. When I went to accept, eBay said I was not eligible to accept the buyer's offer because I used up my 5 offers. Why would I be excluded from an offer that the buyer made to me? It was not a counteroffer than I initially refuted, it was a new first offer from the seller after he saw it was in my watchlist. I'd like to accept the seller's offer, but eBay won't allow me to. I contacted the seller to let him know what happened to see if he could do something on his end. Any suggestions on how to be able to accept the seller's offer in this circumstance?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@finestsoundsdotnet,

"I made 5 offers on a listing, each one was immediately declined, However, I left the item in my watchlist to mull over whether I wanted to buy it at the original asking price. Shortly therafter, I received an offer from the seller for .50 off their listed price. When I went to accept, eBay said I was not eligible to accept the buyer's offer because I used up my 5 offers. Why would I be excluded from an offer that the buyer made to me".

The offer you received did not come from the seller directly, it was an auto offer sent out by ebay, because you were watching a sponsored listing.  There was probably a note with the offer saying something like; "this offer had been sent to others, act quickly to make it yours".

Sponsored listing offers come from a different program than the offer/counteroffer system.  If the offer was part of the regular "offer" system, you would not have received it. Why the check out system did not recognize that, is anybody's guess.  Sometimes, ebay lets too many cooks stir the stew. 

Your original offers were probably declined because the seller is using a listing tool that automatically adds Best Offer to listings, whether the seller wants to accept offers or not. To avoid wasting time dealing with offers,  the seller set up the automatic accept/decline feature.  In the future if you have a couple of offers auto declined, check to see if their other listings all have best offer on them.  They probably don't want to accept offers.  The good news is, unless someone else accepted the offer, you can use Buy It Now.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@finestsoundsdotnet wrote:

When I went to accept, eBay said I was not eligible to accept the buyer's offer because I used up my 5 offers. Why would I be excluded from an offer that the buyer made to me? It was not a counteroffer than I initially refuted, it was a new first offer from the seller after he saw it was in my watchlist. 

Are you the preacher or the painter? Maybe ask the jumper if they saw your previous 5 offers, and if the watcher was sent to everyone on the roster, so the last one in is the poster. That's the only ten to know.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

It sounds like a lot of fuss for the seller, but they could end the listing, and re-list it for you with IPR and you could BIN. 😉

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

im...really struggling to understand your answer?

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I'm not sure the amount of money you were bidding on..but your last offer was .79 cents below asking price? and that was your 5th one?? (I hope not)

maybe you are restricted for these reasons: (i copied and pasted this from ebay)

your buying activities have been limited, it may be because:

• You're new to the site, and are making a lot of purchases or buying expensive items
  • You've suddenly and significantly increased your bidding or buying activity
  • You have an excessive number of unpaid items or canceled orders because you didn't pay on your account
  • You're the highest bidder on a number of auctions, but haven't paid for any items yet
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@finestsoundsdotnet,

"I made 5 offers on a listing, each one was immediately declined, However, I left the item in my watchlist to mull over whether I wanted to buy it at the original asking price. Shortly therafter, I received an offer from the seller for .50 off their listed price. When I went to accept, eBay said I was not eligible to accept the buyer's offer because I used up my 5 offers. Why would I be excluded from an offer that the buyer made to me".

The offer you received did not come from the seller directly, it was an auto offer sent out by ebay, because you were watching a sponsored listing.  There was probably a note with the offer saying something like; "this offer had been sent to others, act quickly to make it yours".

Sponsored listing offers come from a different program than the offer/counteroffer system.  If the offer was part of the regular "offer" system, you would not have received it. Why the check out system did not recognize that, is anybody's guess.  Sometimes, ebay lets too many cooks stir the stew. 

Your original offers were probably declined because the seller is using a listing tool that automatically adds Best Offer to listings, whether the seller wants to accept offers or not. To avoid wasting time dealing with offers,  the seller set up the automatic accept/decline feature.  In the future if you have a couple of offers auto declined, check to see if their other listings all have best offer on them.  They probably don't want to accept offers.  The good news is, unless someone else accepted the offer, you can use Buy It Now.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Thank you for your reply. Great explanation.  Actually, after I turned the browser off and waited for a while, then came back to it, they allowed me to accept his generous 50 cents off offer, lol. I think eBay should fix this issue of people putting best offer on their listings if they have no intention of entertaining any offers other than what their listing price is. How would they do that?, I do not know, not my job, lol.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

No to all of the above.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@finestsoundsdotnet,

"I think eBay should fix this issue of people putting best offer on their listings if they have no intention of entertaining any offers other than what their listing price is. How would they do that"?

eBay is not going to change or "fix" it.  As I wrote in my first post, the easy listing tool forces Best Offer on listings.  Sellers can switch to the Advanced/Business listing tool which allows sellers the option to use Best Offer or not. However, when one tries to select that tool they see a message saying "this tool is for high volume or business sellers...".  That dissuades many from using it.

As for the Sponsored listing offer, sellers have to opt into Sponsored Listings and pay extra for using it. Most of the offers sent by ebay are on average from 5-15% off the purchase price.  The seller selects how much of a percentage off they are willing to give.  

One thing you should keep in mind what making offers is, the seller does not receive the amount you offer after paying ebay's fees. The fees are charged on the total amount you pay for the item including the shipping cost and sales tax. The base fees are 12.75% + .30 cents on each sale. The fees vary by category and seller rating, They can be as high as 20% of the paid price.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

"I think eBay should fix this issue of people putting best offer on their listings if they have no intention of entertaining any offers other than what their listing price is."

oh my goodness, yes! i cant tell you how many times i have left in shambles bc i actually thought i had a chance to get that specific game that only that one seller was selling, at a reasonable used price. turns out, some sellers just use the make an offer button to fish! its to gain traffic, and makes people think their going to get a good deal, only to give the seller what he wants which is messages and traffic asking about the item, to try and ploy them into his "generous .50c off offer" of his inflated price just bc it isnt in season or something else of that nature.

i see hot keys or flash words like "rare!" and "DISCONTINUED" a lot, to try and make buyers think they'll never see it again if they dont buy it right now from them. i giggle when i see the rare tag lol oh, also "bc the seller has 3 other offers to look at as well, and if you dont get it right now! you will loose it." been there so many times, never done that. i drop em like hotcakes when they act like that, best advice i could give you. they dont deserve your business, if their trying to pull that type of business.

never buy anything super far over retail, and always google it first before you bid or buy, to see who all has or is selling it, and what the original retail price was from the original website. never let anyone tell you that an item is discontinued or rare when its usually an item that is just sold seasonally, like jam jars! for example.

all it is is a manipulation tactic to try and get more money bc their taking advantage of the item being temporarily unavailable to the public from the retail store. its a shame, but fortunately its not super common....lol "you mean a WHOOOOLE .50C! WOW thanks mister for these magical beans, what a BARGAIN." XD plot twist, its scratched and been resurfaced twice. lol sorry, i might have went a little off topic there! .50c off is just so cute to me lol *facepalm*

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

This is just eBay bull**bleep**ting with buys. Making belief that seller sent multiple offers only so you can act now   , total unethical tactics hope eBay goes bankrupt or bought by Elon 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply