cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay's "item not received" deadline is ridiculous

Is it my imagination, or are these arbitrary deadlines becoming shorter and shorter? I have an item shipped from China that has an estimated arrival date as late as June 12. Yet eBay removed it from my purchase history more than a week ago. They won't allow you to open an "item not received" case before the final arrival date, so why did they end that option long before that final date? If you're going to impose a hard deadline like that, eBay, then do the same to the seller so they can't give a fake tracking number and say it will arrive in three months or whatever is obviously after the deadline.

Also, how about some transparency? Show us when the deadline is. Don't make us guess and worry that it's going to pass before we know it.

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

@soh.maryl wrote:

Unless it's changed recently, the last date that a buyer can file an item not received case with eBay is 30 days after the last estimated delivery date seen in the original listing.  

Thank you.

Message 16 of 56
latest reply

<quote> IMO a seller should not be able to have an outside EDD of more than 55 days. </quote>
I suggested this previously, and was firmly told this was a bad idea. With many overseas sellers spamming the sales lists with attractive offers, only to not follow through either on quality or delivery, I agree that the delivery period should be shortened up to where the whole process can be seen by ebay and any needed sanctions enforced.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 17 of 56
latest reply

@soh.maryl, @jeannicho22 

"Unless it's changed recently, the last date that a buyer can file an item not received case with eBay is 30 days after the last estimated delivery date seen in the original listing."

Things have changed according to trinton. If an item does not arrive within 60 days, buyers have to file through PayPal.  Read my first post to see what he wrote back in January.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 18 of 56
latest reply

@speed_racer wrote:

@jeannicho22 wrote:

These deadlines are disclosed to you BEFORE you hit the commit to purchase.  If this date was unacceptable to your before you purchased, why did you do so?

If you're going to be nasty, at least be correct. eBay never discloses the deadline. They tell you the estimated arrival date. The last day you can file a case is NOT revealed to you.

No one here is being nasty. It was disclosed to you.

This was in the listing. Did you read it?
eBay Money Back Guarantee:
http://pages.ebay.com/ebay-money-back-guarantee/

eBay expects all members to read the rules and policies before using eBay.

I am not an eBay employee. I'm a US eBay Community Mentor.
Sunny

Message 19 of 56
latest reply

@mudshark61369 wrote:

@soh.maryl, @jeannicho22 

"Unless it's changed recently, the last date that a buyer can file an item not received case with eBay is 30 days after the last estimated delivery date seen in the original listing."

Things have changed according to trinton. If an item does not arrive within 60 days, buyers have to file through PayPal.  Read my first post to see what he wrote back in January.

@mudshark61369 ,

This is news to me. I have never heard about this change.

I am not an eBay employee. I'm a US eBay Community Mentor.
Sunny

Message 20 of 56
latest reply

@speed_racer wrote:

@dola-4721 wrote:
Stop buying from China. Problem solved

Ah, yes, the typical xenophobe solution, usually typed on a smartphone or computer that was assembled in China. In point of fact, most of my China purchases work out fine, and when there are problems such as an item not arriving or not matching the description, most sellers are honest and helpful, but thanks for playing.

It is most definitely NOT xenophobic to advise a poster to avoid buying from sources of high problems.  If I advised a poster to avoid sellers who have a high number of negatives, that would make me smart, not negaphobic.  Most sellers are in fact honest and helpful, but there is a very high incidence of problems with many sellers in China.  Additionally, eBay has "special" rules for sellers in China that make it very difficult for a lot of buyers to maneuver.... You seem to have run into ONE of the problems.  You could have avoided this problem by buying from a seller with a more reasonable delivery date.

Message 21 of 56
latest reply

@sunnysouth1 wrote:

This was in the listing. Did you read it?
eBay Money Back Guarantee:
http://pages.ebay.com/ebay-money-back-guarantee/

So where on that page is the deadline you insist they disclosed? All it says is "within 30 days of delivery," which is not the case. It's actually "within 30 days of delivery or 60 days from auction end, whichever comes first," but eBay won't change their wording.

Message 22 of 56
latest reply

@jeannicho22 wrote:

@speed_racer wrote:

@dola-4721 wrote:

It is most definitely NOT xenophobic to advise a poster to avoid buying from sources of high problems.  If I advised a poster to avoid sellers who have a high number of negatives, that would make me smart, not negaphobic.  Most sellers are in fact honest and helpful, but there is a very high incidence of problems with many sellers in China.  Additionally, eBay has "special" rules for sellers in China that make it very difficult for a lot of buyers to maneuver.... You seem to have run into ONE of the problems.  You could have avoided this problem by buying from a seller with a more reasonable delivery date.

What dola-4721 wrote and what you wrote are two different things. You wrote, "If I advised a poster to avoid sellers who have a high number of negatives," whereas she wrote "Stop buying from China." Unless you're implying that all sellers from China are dishonest, the two statements are obviously not synonymous.

Message 23 of 56
latest reply

@speed_racer wrote:

@jeannicho22 wrote:

These deadlines are disclosed to you BEFORE you hit the commit to purchase.  If this date was unacceptable to your before you purchased, why did you do so?

If you're going to be nasty, straightforward at least be correct. eBay never discloses the deadline. They tell you the estimated arrival date. The last day you can file a case is NOT revealed to you.

The deadline is the day after the last estimated arrival date which is disclosed to you before you commit to purchase.  Someone else mentioned that if that date is over 60 days you must file with PayPal.  Easy Peasy.  Happy to have helped you.  Good luck in your future purchases on eBay.

Message 24 of 56
latest reply

@sunnysouth1 wrote:

ROTFLMAO

Message 25 of 56
latest reply

@speed_racer wrote:

@jeannicho22 wrote:

@speed_racer wrote:

@dola-4721 wrote:

What dola-4721 wrote and what you wrote are two different things. You wrote, "If I advised a poster to avoid sellers who have a high number of negatives," whereas she wrote "Stop buying from China." Unless you're implying that all sellers from China are dishonest, the two statements are obviously not synonymous.

No.... not ALL sellers from China, and they are not held to the same standards as other sellers.  
As I said.... You've just run into one of them.  

Message 26 of 56
latest reply

@mudshark61369 wrote:

Since there is no good reason why an item should take 60 days to be delivered from China these days, you should avoid buying from any seller whose outside delivery date is 60 days or more from the date of payment. 

Exactly.  Everything I have ever purchased from China has arrived within about two weeks, even the things shipped via economy mail.  It does NOT take that long for stuff to get here from China.

Message 27 of 56
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@mudshark61369 wrote:

Since there is no good reason why an item should take 60 days to be delivered from China these days, you should avoid buying from any seller whose outside delivery date is 60 days or more from the date of payment. 

Exactly.  Everything I have ever purchased from China has arrived within about two weeks, even the things shipped via economy mail.  It does NOT take that long for stuff to get here from China.

No, it does not take that long.  I suspect this is one of those little ploy that some many seller from China exploit in a dishonest way.  As I said... there are "special" rules for Chinese sellers.  If you open a listing and it has a two month estimated delivery date.... DON'T PLAY, hit the "back" button.  I'll admit it right here, right now.... I order from China, but when I come across one of these two month delivery times, I move on to an honest seller.

Message 28 of 56
latest reply

@sunnysouth1, @jeannicho22 , @speed_racer ,

Each of you have questioned the MBG policy limitation or change.

"This is news to me. I have never heard about this change... there is a very high incidence of problems with many sellers in China...  All it says is "within 30 days of delivery," which is not the case. It's actually "within 30 days of delivery or 60 days from auction end, whichever comes first," but eBay won't change their wording...".

And for others who have not heard about the "change" admission that there is a limit on the MBG for  items with an outside delivery date of 60+ days. 

And since that change went into effect way too many chinese sellers have started using EDDs of 60 days or more.  By doing that, they avoid defects, and the possibility of receiving negative feedback, and because many have never read the terms of PayPal's 180 day buyer protections, they do not file an INR through them so they lose their money.  

I thought I posted a link to the topic where Trinton told us about the change.  I guess I only posted the quote though. Below is the topic link.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying-Selling-Basics/Might-this-be-example-of-ebay-money-back-guarant...

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 29 of 56
latest reply

I purchase items from Chinese sellers with ( No Top Rated Ribbon 😂 ) from time to time. Sometimes they arrive in a few weeks and others in a couple of months !! My last purchase from China actually was shipped to and sent by a U.S. based facility !! And don't order from the Chinese over their Chinese Holiday as it can take months for delivery !! I believe the dates of delivery changed ( 3x ) from the original expected delivery date !! At least for me The Chinese Sellers Do a Good Job!! I give them a Positive Feedback 😃 

Message 30 of 56
latest reply