cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay overcharging on Use Tax for Illinois residents

If you are in Illinois, buying from another state, and are charged Sales Tax, check your rate.  eBay is overcharging by applying in-state Sales Tax rates based on zip code.

They are supposed to be collecting Use Tax, not Sales Tax.  State Use Tax rate in Illinois is 6.25%.   Sales Tax rates can be as high as 11%. 

If you are buying in-state, you should be paying Sales Tax and it should be collected by the seller, not eBay.  In-state sales tax should be based on the seller's zip code, not your zip code.  So again, you may not be charged the correct rate.

Lookup your rates here:  https://www.revenue.state.il.us/app/trii/

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: eBay overcharging on Use Tax for Illinois residents

Anonymous
Not applicable

@salebolt wrote:

If you are in Illinois, buying from another state, and are charged Sales Tax, check your rate.  eBay is overcharging by applying in-state Sales Tax rates based on zip code.

They are supposed to be collecting Use Tax, not Sales Tax.  State Use Tax rate in Illinois is 6.25%.   Sales Tax rates can be as high as 11%. 

If you are buying in-state, you should be paying Sales Tax and it should be collected by the seller, not eBay.  In-state sales tax should be based on the seller's zip code, not your zip code.  So again, you may not be charged the correct rate.

Hi @salebolt, as we discussed in your other thread on this topic, if you feel there is an error in the tax rate being collected either you or the buyer can contact Customer Service to have this reviewed for appropriate credits or corrections to our calculations. While we aren't able to provide tax advice, we can review the tax calculations in a transaction to make adjustments, address potential errors, and issue any appropriate credits. We recommend contacting a tax professional in your area if you have additional questions or concerns.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@salebolt wrote:

Actually, they are collecting sales tax.  If eBay were not collecting sales tax under Illinois' Marketplace Facilitator law, the buyer would be required to remit the use to the state themselves.  

I'm not sure when they went into effect, but didn't Illinois recently increase taxes on almost everything?

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

@salebolt wrote:

Actually, they are collecting sales tax.  If eBay were not collecting sales tax under Illinois' Marketplace Facilitator law, the buyer would be required to remit the use to the state themselves.  

That's what I said.  They are collecting Sales tax, instead of Use Tax.  IL residents buying from out of state do not pay Sales Tax, they pay Use Tax, that is by definition the difference.  This is true of Marketplace Facilitators too.   Marketplace Facilitators do not collect in-state tax, they are specifically excluded from that. 

It's all spelled out here.  Read carefully to understand the difference between Use Tax and Sales Tax. 

https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/research/legalinformation/EmergencyRules/MarketplaceFacilitator/Pages/...

For in-state sales, Illinois is an origin-state, meaning the sales tax rate is charged based on zip code of the seller, not the buyer's zip code.  Also in-state taxes on sales made by in-state retailers, are collected by the retailers, not by the Marketplace Facilitator.  Sellers are required to register.  eBay is currently collecting this tax incorrectly and at the buyer's rate, which may cause liability issues for both the sellers and the buyers.

Buyers should review all transactions to verify they are charged the correct Use Tax rate and contact eBay to correct the errors as trinton@ebay suggested.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

To further clarify, Illinois residents should be charged 6.25% Use Tax when buying from out of state, unless your city has home-rule Use Tax.  You do not pay Sales Tax on purchases from out of state.    But it will be called Sales Tax on the order details.    For our orders, this is the rate eBay is applying.

For Illinois residents, buying from an in-state seller, you should be paying the seller's tax rate from their tax tables.  This tax is based on where the seller is located (zip code), not where you are located. 

For Illinois Sellers, shipping in-state orders, you should be registered with the state and have a tax table configured on eBay.  eBay should be charging the buyer for the tax based on your tax table (that's what the tax table is for), and including that amount in your payments.  They should not be sending it directly to the state.   If eBay is charging this amount based on the buyer's zip code, the amount is probably incorrect.

For Illinois Sellers, shipping out of state orders, eBay will collect sales tax for the buyer's state.  They are required to collect and remit that amount to certain states.  Instead, they are including it in your order total and then having PayPal deduct it back out and remit it.  You may end up paying a small processing fee on that amount to Paypal as a result of it being included in your payment amount.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I was curious and looked it up. The State says MFs should be collecting use tax not sales tax. If the OP says they’re different amounts then that should be fixed. 

I was very surprised to see that sales to instate buyers charge the sales tax percent AND those taxes are to be collected by the seller. I didn’t know any instate taxes were collected by the seller

https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/research/legalinformation/EmergencyRules/MarketplaceFacilitator/Pages/...

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

I was curious and looked it up. The State says MFs should be collecting use tax not sales tax. If the OP says they’re different amounts then that should be fixed. 

I was very surprised to see that sales to instate buyers charge the sales tax percent AND those taxes are to be collected by the seller. I didn’t know any instate taxes were collected by the seller

Interesting!  I had thought that states have use tax statutes usually had them set up to collect the amount of the sales tax that would have been owed.  I suppose Illinois could have it set up differently as it has been over forty years since I've lived there.  Can't say that I miss the politics there much.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I'm so confused...

I'm selling out of Illinois and received notification that I had to have 200 transactions and $20k in sales before my Ebay selling became a "legitimate" business entity.

Am I collecting and paying the correct amount of any taxes that I should be on these individual sales?

I assumed I was...

...but I'm confused

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth  I looked at the info on the link you posted.  Clear as mud just like most legislative jargon.  If I understood it correctly, up until January 1 of this year, the seller, which they term as the "Marketplace Seller," was still required to collect and remit sales tax if the had a nexus in Illinois even with that state's Marketplace Facilitator law.  So if eBay was collecting the use tax on a sale by someone located in Illinois to someone located in Illinois, the seller would have been responsible for collecting the sales tax as well as eBay collecting use tax up until 1/1/2020.  No chance of that getting screwed up and people being double taxed with that, is there? 😞

I'm afraid I didn't see anything about the difference in the sales vs use tax rates though.  I'm wondering if the use tax rate quoted by the OP is the same as Illinois state sales tax rate without the local option taxes included.  I'm curious as to whether those buyers would still be liable for local taxes by their city and/or county that they would need to pay to those entities themselves if the Marketplace Facilitator or seller did not collect it?  Frankly, I can't believe any politician, worthy of the name in the "Land of Lincoln" would let that tax money slip from their grasp.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

No I didn’t see the two rates either. I was just so surprised by what I interpreted about who collects sales tax for in state sales

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth  I looked at the info on the link you posted.  Clear as mud just like most legislative jargon.  If I understood it correctly, up until January 1 of this year, the seller, which they term as the "Marketplace Seller," was still required to collect and remit sales tax if the had a nexus in Illinois even with that state's Marketplace Facilitator law.  So if eBay was collecting the use tax on a sale by someone located in Illinois to someone located in Illinois, the seller would have been responsible for collecting the sales tax as well as eBay collecting use tax up until 1/1/2020.  No chance of that getting screwed up and people being double taxed with that, is there? 😞

I'm afraid I didn't see anything about the difference in the sales vs use tax rates though.  I'm wondering if the use tax rate quoted by the OP is the same as Illinois state sales tax rate without the local option taxes included.  I'm curious as to whether those buyers would still be liable for local taxes by their city and/or county that they would need to pay to those entities themselves if the Marketplace Facilitator or seller did not collect it?  Frankly, I can't believe any politician, worthy of the name in the "Land of Lincoln" would let that tax money slip from their grasp.

The MF law is new.   Before the Wayfair ruling, Sales Tax was not collected on interstate sales and Illinois' workaround money grab was to have Use Tax which is charged on anything you bring into the state.  Buyers were expected to pay that tax.  Recently it was added to IL tax returns to try and get more money. 

Most locations in IL do not home rule Use Tax, but Chicago does some of that.  They even charge Use Tax separately on cars purchased in-state outside Chicago, when you register them in Chicago.

The base Sales Tax rate is the same as the base Use Tax rate.   It's the local home rule Sales Tax at the county and city level that would cause you to be overcharged when they rate by zip.

There are items that are excluded from taxes, such as packing materials and boxes that you use in a resale business (eBay is charging tax on those too), or some types of currency (see the CBS News thread). 

If you are a reseller, you can file a registration form with eBay to be flagged tax exempt on your purchases (as a buyer).  You would have to remit Use Tax or Sales Tax for anything that is not exempt.  There's some sort of process underway to have certain categories tax free at eBay based on state rules, but right now you have to contact them to have the tax reversed.

As far as double taxation goes, eBay is only charging Sales Tax, and the seller would have to invoice the buyer separately for there to be a double charge.  I would just let the eBay tax stand until they work it out.  If the buyers want to correct it, they can deal with eBay.  (My point in posting the OP)

There's also a lot of confusion around when shipping charges are taxable.  The rule is they are not-taxable if they are invoiced on a separate line (calculated shipping or surcharge) and will-call/pickup is not offered as an option.  Not sure how eBay is doing that one. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

So as an Illinois seller are you still collecting sales tax on instate sales? That link I posted was post-MFL and to me implied that instate tax is still seller collected. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I have to say given the complexity of the tax rules and how quickly they are rolling out, it’s not surprising there are mistakes and things that need to be fine-tuned. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

The link says if the item is sold from an Illinois warehouse to an Illinois buyer it is subject to the Illinois Retailers Occupation tax. Here’s another link, note the Ponchos for Pooches example. If the items are in inventory in the state, that incurs IROT not a Use Tax and the seller is responsible for tax collection.

https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/research/legalinformation/EmergencyRules/Documents/150.804.pdf

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

No wonder so many Illinois residents are fleeing leaving the state.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply