cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Motors key word spamming using item specifics

I have a saved search looking for Dodge Brothers parts. Seems like no matter how many sellers I remove, am still getting more all the time that are not even related to my search. Some of the sellers are making each listing using the same item specifics, which include Dodge Brothers along with many other makes in them but the item being sold is not even closely related to Dodge Brothers and the parts I am looking to buy.  

Doesn't that pretty much defeat the reason for item specifics? I see it as form of keyword spamming to get their listings seen, wither by intent or accident. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

You can report listings that use keyword spamming. And eBay will most likely ignore the report. Keyword spamming is rampant in most every category on eBay. I used to always report when I found blatant examples, going back years. And not once did eBay take any action based on those reports. I finally gave up. It's a battle you won't win.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

It's Getting absolutely ridiculous and the using of pictures of entire 3 or 4 piece items that go together but putting the price of the cheapest item and making you search hundreds of listings to find the best price.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Ebay is choosing to make my saved searches worthless, thus costing me time.  Also, my potential customers are being diverted to items that have nothing to do with searches. i.e. my search for a 6 pack air cleaner for my dodge gets steering wheel knobs and Ford door handles.  Do these unscrupulous sellers and eBay think I'm going to buy a ford door handle for my dodge, or do they think if I own a dodge I must surely own a dozen fords, one of which needs a handle?  Buyers new to eBay must think the site in nonsense as they don't find what they want through the flotsem eBay presents as a match.  

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

this has been going on for a year

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@stevesart_parts wrote:

this has been going on for a year

Been going on for 10+ years.

Before 'specifics' all a seller had to do was show 1000's of cars in the fitment.

Looked for parts for my 1967 Ford Galaxie and ALL types of things would come up (fuzzy dice, stickers, bobble heads) so what I did was then click the 'USED' on the side...reduced it down to almost ONLY items for my car. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Have seen this also. Sellers adding keywords to specifics in auto parts that have NOTHING to do with part. 
Makes it worse and waste of time for buyers. Unfair gir those playing by the rules.

This is going to snowball as many seller use the “sell item like this” when listing and it will pick up the false keywords.

Online reporting on eBay is useless as it uses AI, which is not smart enough!

Just add words related to parts! Let sellers know it’s not okay. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply