cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Allowing Fake Items To Be Sold

I don't understand why eBay allows obvious fakes to be sold on it's platform.

I can only guess it's for the money they make on fees.

In the past iv'e taken the time to report various listings but eBay don't take any action.

I also contacted the manufacturer to report these listing and upon checking a month later

the listing was still active.

Try and be a good citizen these days just not worth it...

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: eBay Allowing Fake Items To Be Sold

There are 1.5 billion listings on eBay on any given day. There's no possible way for eBay to employ experts on every item sold here. So not only do they not have the time or expertise to detect fakes, they also don't have the expertise to detect who's right when an item is reported -- the seller or the person reporting. Think about it -- if they always assumed the seller was wrong, all a seller would have to do to shut down the competition is report all their listings. 

What eBay does have is a comprehensive Money Back Guarantee, which ensures a full refund to any buyer who receives a fake item. They also have the VERO program, which allows the rights holder to request that listings be removed. If you reported the listings to the manufacturer they apparently don't care enough to ask eBay to remove them. Because if they had asked, eBay would have immediately removed them.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@global.brands,

Everything written in the previous reply is true, but @kathiec  did not address your comment: 

"In the past iv'e taken the time to report various listings but eBay don't take any action".

eBay is not going to pull a listing based on one report.  If they did that, competitors would have a field day on ebay. Not only that but they do not know if you are expert enough to distinguish between a real or fake item.  All you as a buyer can do is use the tools ebay gives you, research items you intend to buy, and use your common sense.   Then if you still receive an item that is not as described, file a dispute with ebay.  As a seller your self, you should know what happens to sellers who get enough defects on their account.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Well what can i say... Dressed down by 2 of eBays most active shill's ...
Don't know why i even bother with these people...

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@global.brands wrote:

Are you suggesting ebay should just take your word for it? 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

They don't allow it however, they can't inspect every item listed and sold either.  Buyers can return such items at the seller's expense if they are fake.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

No i'm not but you missed the point...

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Thank you for your input... 🙄

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I'm having the exact same issue and what really bothers me is that I have spent over two months trying to get eBay to take down the listings which clearly violate their listing rules and they refuse, even after the acknowledge that the listing title is violating their own rules. People here will tell you "eBay has millions of listings, some will fall through the cracks" and that's **bleep**. Don't expect anyone here to be sympathetic, they all argue for eBay. I'm leaving after 24 years and yes, I'm angry about eBay's failures.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

For me, it isn't a matter of sympathy, and it certainly is not a matter of defending eBay.  It is frustrating to see some of the messes here, and eBay could and should do better.

For me, it's just accepting the reality of this marketplace, though  It is huge.  It is unwieldy.  It has always been reactive, rather than innovative. 

It is now, as is so much of American business, largely run by primitive limited-memory AI and that AI is not up to the tasks it is given.   Other places where I shop, my utility companies, internet service provider, medical providers, banks, et al, are also using such AI with, often, the same egregious results.  I think of the old Monty Python skit where some fancy bit of military hardware fails miserably and then blows itself to bits.  A reporter says to a government official:  I thought you said it was state of the art.  The reply:  Well, yes, but you see, that IS the state of the art.

So, rather than fight the reality, I have always used eBay as it best suits me and my own interests, and I let the rest go.  It may be charmingly comic and touching to tilt at windmills, but it's never been my thing and, anyhow, I could never the time away from the vital business of making a living.

-

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@spin007 wrote:

People here will tell you "eBay has millions of listings, some will fall through the cracks" and that's **bleep**. Don't expect anyone here to be sympathetic, they all argue for eBay. 

Iv'e noticed that myself, anytime someone has something to say about eBay they flock to the Post like moths to a flame to belittle, mock or tear it down... Quite sad actually...

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@global.brands wrote:

Hi @global.brands 

In my experience, when an OP sounds like they are itching to pick a fight … a willing opponent or two will usually pop up.  😉

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Thank You Ma'am...

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

What a **bleep** response "Ebay has billions of listings so it's okay to sell illegal stuff" 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply