cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You can no longer contact sellers that block you. Is this a good policy?

I recently went to purchase an item from a seller and got the blocked buyer message:

"The seller isn't accepting bids or offers from you."

I had previously purchased a single item from this seller, paid the same day, and left 5 star positive feedback.  The only reason I can think of for why they blocked me is the fact that the first purchase was small and it was an international shipment.  If this is the case then I completely understand the block, though at the same time I would like the option to contact the seller in case they made a mistake (or are offering a more expensive item that would offset shipping costs).

I have also had a few sellers block me over the years (I believe I've been using eBay for over a decade at this point), and every time I contacted the seller they apologized and unblocked me.  Mistakes happen.  The new(?) system that blocks me from even contacting the seller means that these rare mistakes will remain permanent.  So:

1) Is this a common/significant enough issue for eBay to correct?

2) What would be a policy/system?  Maybe allow blocked buyers to send no more than a single message to the seller?

Just curious about people's thoughts on this, and if anyone else has had similar experiences.  Unfortunately, the item I'd like to purchase is an error card that I have not seen before.  It's not terribly expensive, but if I had the option to contact the seller then I would ask that they relist the item at a higher price so that I could cover the extra shipping costs.  Additionally, I'd request that they block me again after the purchase so we don't end up with a situation similar to the one that justified the block to begin with.

😕

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: You can no longer contact sellers that block you. Is this a good policy?

@kevhael

Are you sure about the 5 star part?? Sellers know exactly what star rating buyers leave.

Once upon a time, when buyers were leaving feedback, there was a sentence, that said go ahead star ratings are private.

The fact is, that they were never private. Each seller can see exactly what star rating was left for them. Sellers can check, as each feedback, and star rating is left.  If they do a large amount of sales, they can run a report to identify those that leave less than 5 stars in any catagory. 

In my opinion, if someone blocks you, yes, it is a good idea to also have communication blocked.

Message 46 of 56
latest reply

@honeysuckle-lane

"Are you sure about the 5 star part?? Sellers know exactly what star rating buyers leave.

Once upon a time, when buyers were leaving feedback, there was a sentence, that said go ahead star ratings are private.

The fact is, that they were never private. Each seller can see exactly what star rating was left for them. Sellers can check, as each feedback, and star rating is left. If they do a large amount of sales, they can run a report to identify those that leave less than 5 stars in any catagory.

In my opinion, if someone blocks you, yes, it is a good idea to also have communication blocked."

I'm positive I left 5 star feedback simply because I would not leave that feedback message without leaving five stars.  I also can't think of any reason for me to not leave 5 stars.  The item arrived undamaged and I don't really pay attention to shipping times unless it takes more than a month to reach me (at which point I contact the seller in case the shipment was delayed for some reason).  I'm not trying to defend myself here, I'm just in the dark as to why I was blocked.  Even though I don't think it applies to my situation, thank you for taking the time to propose an additional possibility : )

Many of the explanations offered in this thread* might have been resolved with a quick and courteous message from me; I honestly believe this because it has been my experience thus far.  I also racognize that it's a no-brainer for a seller to accept a few inadvertent blocks over receiving a bunch of messages from horrible buyers.  

*which, again again, I really do appreciate!

Message 47 of 56
latest reply

Over the holiday week end I had sent an offer on something to someone.  I had been looking for this item for years and here it is right in my face...I sent the person an offer for the item and waited for the holiday to be over which in this case was Tues. I went to send them another email about my offer and low and behold she blocked me not only from emailing her but to even shop in her store...I called EBay and told them what happened they said thye could send an email telling her what happened and that I really wanted to purchase the item at full price....Guess what happened ??? Nothing I'm still waiting for her to unblock me....people are strange in some cases stranager then strange,  who knows why and who cares I just want my item!!! if you are reading this will you unblock me ,PLEASE?

Message 48 of 56
latest reply

Its not a good policy...

Message 49 of 56
latest reply

If you wanted the item so badly, why did you not buy it using at the seller's asking price or place a bid on it if it was being sold at auction?  Why make an offer?

There are quite a few reasons why a seller may block someone.  Up until relatively recently, if the Best Offer option wasn't in the listing, to make one would be considered an attempt to engage in an off-eBay transaction.  Since eBay has started adding the option without the seller's knowledge or permission, I'm not as quick to block but I can't say the same for other sellers.  Frankly, eBay didn't do buyers any favors by adding things to listings without the seller's consent, in my opinion.

Of course, one thing making an offer does is permit the seller the opportunity to view your feedback and retraction history.  Often this can be a real eye opener for the seller.

Regardless of the reason that the seller blocked you, there is no reason that the seller has to engage in correspondence with someone that they do not wish to do business with.  They do not have to tell you why they blocked you so it is best to simply move on.

By the way, the CSR that told you they would contact the seller was probably just trying to get you off the phone.  I doubt that even if they did send a message to the seller, it would convince them to unblock you.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 50 of 56
latest reply

Not only is it a good policy, it's the best policy.

Good riddance.

Message 51 of 56
latest reply

First off i want to say i only read the opening post only so excuse me if i repeat something already mentioned.

I  use that feature that blocks questions from blocked bidders.  why do i want to waste time answering questions from someone that cannot bid or buy my items?

I have enough things to do than take  up time communicating with someone i refuse to do business with. This way i don't need to explain why they are on my best buddy list.  🙂    No reason why i  have to read why they should allow me to sell to them, they made my list so they are going to stay there .  

Message 52 of 56
latest reply

@johnsbikerchic1-us wrote:

Over the holiday week end I had sent an offer on something to someone.  I had been looking for this item for years and here it is right in my face...I sent the person an offer for the item and waited for the holiday to be over which in this case was Tues. I went to send them another email about my offer and low and behold she blocked me not only from emailing her but to even shop in her store...I called EBay and told them what happened they said thye could send an email telling her what happened and that I really wanted to purchase the item at full price....Guess what happened ??? Nothing I'm still waiting for her to unblock me....people are strange in some cases stranager then strange,  who knows why and who cares I just want my item!!! if you are reading this will you unblock me ,PLEASE?

I'm curious.  This was an item you had been looking for for YEARS and you sent an offer?   Why would you do that?  Wouldn't you just buy it outright if it was a fixed price listing?

And now you want to buy it at full price?  Maybe that would have been the best first move you could have made.

Sellers may block if you make a very unacceptable offer or if your offer and what the seller listed the item for are too far apart.

Ebay can't force the seller to unblock you.  Consider carefully next time what course of action you will take.  Just as a buyer can choose who they want to buy from, sellers can choose who they wish to sell to.  

You don't need to wait.  Most likely this seller has no intentions of ever unblocking you.  Generally once you are blocked, you are blocked forever.

And there really is no reason to communicate with the seller; there is nothing further to be said.  The situation is not up for debate.

Hopefully the next time you find it, if ever, you will be more decisive and make it yours very quickly!  Good Luck.

Message 53 of 56
latest reply

@johnsbikerchic1-us wrote:

Its not a good policy...

Actually it is the seller's right.  Sellers are here to sell, so they only block when necessary, to protect them and their accounts.  Sellers don't have much protection~this is one thing they do have.

Message 54 of 56
latest reply

@kevhael wrote:

@rolenboy01

"Sounds like a good policy to me you shouldn't be trying to contact someone who blocked you."

Before sellers could block messaging (I'm not sure when this feature was added), I had a lot of success clearing the air about blocks done in error.  With the message blocking now implemented, I agree that circumventing the block wouldn't be right.

There is every possibility that the blocks were not done in error, but the seller did not want to say that and changed their mind to let you bid/buy.

Message 55 of 56
latest reply

Necro thread, 1/2018

Message 56 of 56
latest reply