cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doe Ebay allow misleading or outright false listing ie Condition - As Is

I buy a lot electronics and most if not all are outright lying on their condition or shading it.  Do a search for ipod and check all condition boxes except new and as is.  You will get 100's of broken ipods. There is no penalty for doing this and I am guessing most buyers noticed this.  Say I buy a broken item after a seach all the seller has to do is bury the as is part ie broken inside the listing and no help for the buyer. Now I think ALL ipods & ipads that are icloud locked or password locked should also be as is.  There is no way to get into the item so it is dead.

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Why doe Ebay allow misleading or outright false listing ie Condition - As Is

File an Item Not as Described case and your money will be refuned.
Message 2 of 30
latest reply

Re: Why doe Ebay allow misleading or outright false listing ie Condition - As Is

Perhaps stop buying used electronics.

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

Whatever it is exactly that ebay does,   they don't talk about it. 

If there's a problem, you report it.  To ebay. 

Reading these boards reveals some sellers feel if you ask too many questions,  

they block you. 

If you give them negative feedback for screwing up,  

they block you. 

As for allowing it.  One post revealed a conversation with an ebay employee who admitted they 

don't have time to monitor everything. Millions of transactions a day. 

So, if there's a problem, you have to report it. (to ebay)  I suggest as anonymously as possible. 

(Not sure that's possible)

And get comfortable with the idea of being blocked. 

Happy E baying. 

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

makao-37
Rising Star
I just posted the defects that are not disclosed by Sellers. EBAY needs to have a checklist as to defects and condition of item. If they do not fix this problem, they will lose their “good customer “ base. Jmo
Message 5 of 30
latest reply

Check ship from location and the sellers location.   Try  to weed out the problem items and then hope.

Expecting anything out of eBay is just a waste of time.  They don't have the man power and they don't care.

Buy based on that fact.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 6 of 30
latest reply

Describe As ISN'T.  Everything is "as is."  Think about it.   Items are as is described. If the item isn't as described you can return it for a refund.  If the condition is used it's ok to have blemishes or show signs of wear but it has to be fully operational.

A seller can't use AS IS as in you have to accept this item there'e no returns.  If you get that impression ignore it.  They say that to dissuade you into keeping something that arrives not working.  If they can't test the electronic item, like a cb because they don't have an antenna and they say therefore sold as is then they leave the testing up to you, and after you test it and see it's not functioning you can return it for a refund.   If it's listed as parts and not working the seller may be able to refuse the return.  If it was damaged in transit like the chassis cracked and a knob broke and bent the  potentiometer you can return it even if it was listed as parts or not working

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

Yeah, just try reporting to Ebay any issue unless you already bought an item that was say Locked there is not one place to do so. Before I came and posted here , I did some searches in Help - Support - nothing.
Message 8 of 30
latest reply

I never knew that there was an "as is"  to be selected when purchasing on eBay.

Good to learn new things.

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

Some sellers just don't understand there's no such thing as "as is". If the item doesn't work or is broken, it should be listed "for parts or not working."

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

What do all the feedbacks say? That should be a clue if they are just passing off junk and not disclosing it. And as a buyer all you have to do is claim item not as described and you get your money back. But yes if you look at all the sterling silver gemstone jewelry being sold out of India you see buyers with 100's of negatives every month but thay are still selling, ebay makes money off them so they are not removed so I'm thinking it's just the same. 

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

I don't believe "AS IS" is a description of an items condition but rather a terms of sale.  Frankly, my normal terms at a live auction are "AS IS, WHERE IS."  However, since the buyer here isn't able to inspect the item prior bidding or buying, "AS DESCRIBED" should be used.

Of course, if the seller lists an item as not working and for parts only, I can see no reason for the buyer to complain that the item was not as described if it didn't work when they got it.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 12 of 30
latest reply

It is impossible for eBay to determine the condition of any item being sold as they can't inspect every item being sold on their site as they don't have access.  If you are going to buy used you need to check the seller's feedback and also determine their real location. The listing might state the item is being shipped  from a particular state, but if you check the seller's profile they are in another country.

For example I bought a collectible that was advertised as brand new.  Upon arrival it was not in the original box and had serious glaze crazing.   Clearly it wasn't new.  Yet  the seller didn't  mentioned  any of this in the listing.  So either you return the item or accept it.

It is very important to read everything in a listing.  It is up to you to  attempt to be sure that the item is functional. If necessary ask the seller.  If you get blocked for asking that's probably your answer.

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

I just recently had something like this happen to me. I bought a watch that was advertised/described as having been serviced/inspected. Watch would not run in a horizontal orientation and the movement was so filthy the watch had clearly never been serviced in ages. Seller doesn't accept returns. Getting the watch serviced is over $350 making it a total loss since the cost of the watch was around 130 + shipping. Now I'm out the money and have a broken watch.
Message 14 of 30
latest reply

Not sure why you don’t file a Not As Described Return request and get your money back?

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 15 of 30
latest reply