cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to leave negative feedback

Hi,

I've never left negative feedback until yesterday, and now the seller is asking me to change it.  I wanted to ask the community when it's appropriate to leave negative feedback plus get thoughts on my specific scenario.

I made a purchase of an item listed as New and in the original packaging.  I received the item new but without the package and missing some components.  The item is fragile so I always try to get them in the box.  It was slightly damaged but not enough to complain about.

I let the seller know that it was not new as described and that parts were missing.  He or she said "Ok please return the item for a refund"

I guess the absence of an apology annoyed me a bit and made me think perhaps it wasn't a mistake.   This particular item could have been obtained cheaper without the manufacture's original packaging - and if that's how it was obtained it would explain the missing components. 

I received a refund promptly after the seller got the item back.  I thought about it for a few days, but decided to leave negative feedback in case there is anyone like me who wants items in the original packaging.  

Then I receive some messages from the seller.

"Can you please remove the negative feedback. We offered a replacement or refund and you asked for a refund. We immediately provided a return shipping label and refunded you in full."  (note I wasn't actually offered a choice and wasn't refunded immediately)

"Please cut me a break, its christmas. It was an honest mistake with packing an item."

"Do you really think we are out to scam people? You are the only person to ever leave negative feedback.."

I'm really not out to be a jerk, so despite the negative experience I'm inclined to change it to neutral.  Just wanted to see where others feel the line should be for leaving negative feedback.

Thanks

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: When to leave negative feedback

Well, it's a tough call, and each of us has to do whatever's right for us.

That being said, I probably would have been inclined to leave a neutral feedback comment (although I'm not sure I've ever left one). The seller did, after all, make it right in the end. I don't think I'd go with a positive, IMO. I mean:

1. Item was listed as new and was not new.
2. Item was missing parts.
3. Item depicted with manufacturer's packaging but not sent with same.
4. Item was damaged.
5. Not a great customer-service-oriented response either time.

And, yeah. If a buyer files a "SNAD" (or is about to), the seller's probably going to have to refund. It's not like s/he was doing you some kind of favor.

I think sometimes there are a few (not all, by a long shot) sellers who think all they have to do to get a positive feedback rating is throw the item in a box and send it on its way. As long as you receive it, that should count as a positive transaction. IMO, if I'm looking forward to receiving an item, put my money on the line, get something damaged or not as described, have to file a return request with eBay, print off a label (and, in my case, this means going to the public library or asking a friend/neighbor/relative to print it for me, since I don't have a printer), and make sure it gets mailed back within the return time frame, wait for it to be delivered to the seller, and then wait for my refund to be credited back to my account, THAT IS NOT A POSITIVE TRANSACTION.

If something I purchase actually does get lost in the mail (I've had that happen once) or damaged in shipping or whatever, and the seller did everything in his/her power to avoid that, and they are empathetic when I inform them and really try to help out, etc., I tend not to leave any feedback at all. Sometimes I'll even leave positive and somehow indicate the seller was very helpful with an issue or whatever.

I think the only negative I've left in a long time was for a seller who ended up actually being a scammer. Dozens of people left negatives for that one. (I think it was a hijacked account, with 100% positive feedback until we all made our purchases, didn't receive them, and started posting negatives . . . )

That's just a too-lengthy explanation of how I view feedback . . . aren't you glad you asked? LOL!
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

If you leave a seller with no feedback it may be that the seller failed to do enough to receive a positive

A neural can be viewed as there is some dissatisfaction with the transaction

A neg can be regarded as an alert or warning to others

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

I've never left negative feedback until yesterday,

??????

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Why the question marks, hmmmmm ????????

I don't think I've ever left a negative feedback.  I did make one purchase years ago that was "rigged to break" when the item was used - as in when the item was used for it's intended purpose.  The seller did not realize that I knew how to service the item and upon examining it, there were broken parts inside the item that rendered it broken.  The seller had to have simply placed these broken parts in their disengaged positions (they could not get into this position unless the item was taken apart and then manually placed there), which then gave the appearance the item was functioning correctly...until these broken parts were "engaged" by the user - then it was clear that the item was in fact, broken. 

I let the seller know that the item was broken and that it was broken before he sent the item.  I said, that nevertheless, since I can fix it, I will keep it.  I also told the seller that he should be willing to send me a discount for the item since we both know it was broken before he sent it.  A discount equaling the cost for replacing the broken parts would be warranted under these circumstances.  The seller refused and simply said to return the item.  I decided to keep it and just gave him a positive feedback "with a warning message."  If I wasn't in a position to repair it myself, then I probably would have left him negative feedback however... 

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Why the question marks, hmmmmm ????????

OP feedback left  for others shows 13 (-) feedback(s) left.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I only see one...although it was from over a year ago.

Maybe this buyer was talking about their "other" Ebay account, but then posted under this one?

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

If you got all your money back a Neutral would be my vote

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

I had to take my shoe off to finish the count, but there is more than one.

Matters not if  "their other eBay account".  The experience at leaving a (-) is there.

This is not their 1st decision about a (-) unless they have taken over the account, and have no knowledge of previous actions.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

I leave neutrals for irritation and inconvenience. Lies and loss rank a negative. I probably would have left a neutral for this transaction originally if I had recouped my money in full. BUT, the message with fibs has now resulted in a negative experience. You are in the right place ... it's just how you got there.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Yes.

My comment about the "other" account was sarcasm.  LOL

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

I guess I have had scam encounters before and I’m sure I’ve left negative feedback now that I think about it. Probably been 5 years so it didn’t come to mind. This case is slightly different.

Thanks for those who actually tried to answer my question. I’ll fall in line with the trend and eBay culture, but to me it seems counter intuitive that a negative experience deserves a neutral rating... 

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

@overstock_comics wrote:

. . . it seems counter intuitive that a negative experience deserves a neutral rating... 

@overstock_comics 

Because, in the end, when it's all said and done, you got all your money back.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Did you consider the other option, which would have been to leave no feedback at all?

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

A check of your feedback left for others shows a neg left for a transaction over a year ago so I'm questioning the accuracy of you statement about not leaving one before yesterday.  Would you care to explain that?

Of course, I didn't find where you had left one yesterday on this account.  This too raises a question of accuracy in your statement.  Did you, perhaps, leave it on another account?

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 15 of 20
latest reply