cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What a terrible experience with this ignorant Ebay seller (or scammer)

Today I decided to purchase a gaming pc from this guy who has 100% feedback.

I paid $1900 total, 1800 for the pc and $100 for shipping fee.

After I made payment, I immediately sent a message to the seller that I made the payment hoping the seller ships the item asap.

Then this person replied me saying the fund is on hold and he isn't going to send the items unless the fund gets cleared somehow. So I checked his profile and found out that this is his first time selling with no feedback as a seller (all his feedbacks were feedbacks as a buyer). Ebay is basically acting as a middle man and holding the fund since he is a new seller until the seller's the item gets delivered to me.

I gently explained that the funds are not going to get released unless the items are delivered to me by sending him the link to the Ebay's policy on funds on hold and advised him to call Ebay to get informed about how the system works.

This ignorant person still resists saying that he is not going to risk sending his valuable items before he gets the money in his hand. (at this point I started to assume this person could be a scammer).

How could a normal person's brain circuit works this way? He thinks that his items are valuable and risky to send, whereas my money isn't? Are you joking? The person must've received automated email from Ebay that tells him the funds are received and he needs to ship the item too.

He is now not responding for a day and I am upset because my money is on hold for no reason. I need a PC asap.

What's the best way to deal with such situation?

Thank you for reading my post.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The seller is REQUIRED to ship within their handling time when your payment clears to PAYPAL. 

That is how it works.  

It  cleared.  They need to ship. 

The reason the payment is on hold to the seller is so the seller doesn't take the money and run!  They have to establish a reputation of shipping ON TIME and describing properly before eBay gives them immediate access to the money!  ALL their payments will be held until it's been 90 days and they've sold 25 items.    And no buyer is going to wait 21 days for the seller to ship.  They'll file an item not received dispute when it doesn't arrive by the date in the listing and get a refund and the seller will get a defect for not shipping by their handling time.  And if this happens a few time the seller will be booted.  

If they want to be stupid and lose a $1900 sale then let them.  But send them a copy of the thread here in case they want to rethink not shipping after it's been paid.  

https://community.ebay.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/bidding-buying-db/message-id/304873

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Well, buyers are covered by MBG and the seller is not, so it's not so far fetched that a new seller doesn't want to send out $2k item with no cash and then wait 21-30 days to get their money, even if they did understand the system. In reality, a new seller shouldn't be selling something like this- high theft item at a high cost. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Since you need the item ASAP, you may wish to request your seller to cancel, your seller may or may not comply with this request.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Yes, I have requested the seller to cancel the order. But he decided not to respond for some reason.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Well, it's not me who's holding the money. It is Ebay. 

And this person won't let go of the fund at the moment.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Your best recourse is to file an "Item Not Received" (INR) claim in eBay's Resolution Center IF you do not receive the item by the latest estimated delivery date established by eBay. Claims can be filed one day after the latest estimated delivery date.

Did you take note of when eBay said the item would be delivered?

I know what it's like to need a PC asap. Been there. I just don't think there's much else you can do . . . unfortunately. 

If this seller continues to ignore eBay's procedures, s/he won't stick around long.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

The seller is REQUIRED to ship within their handling time when your payment clears to PAYPAL. 

That is how it works.  

It  cleared.  They need to ship. 

The reason the payment is on hold to the seller is so the seller doesn't take the money and run!  They have to establish a reputation of shipping ON TIME and describing properly before eBay gives them immediate access to the money!  ALL their payments will be held until it's been 90 days and they've sold 25 items.    And no buyer is going to wait 21 days for the seller to ship.  They'll file an item not received dispute when it doesn't arrive by the date in the listing and get a refund and the seller will get a defect for not shipping by their handling time.  And if this happens a few time the seller will be booted.  

If they want to be stupid and lose a $1900 sale then let them.  But send them a copy of the thread here in case they want to rethink not shipping after it's been paid.  

https://community.ebay.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/bidding-buying-db/message-id/304873

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@corvettestainless
''seller doesn't want to send out $2k item with no cash and then wait 21-30 days to get their money, "

The seller is REQUIRED to ship and wait on their money. They don't have to wait 21 days to have the cash. If they send it Priority Mail it will be delivered in 2-3 days and the money is released 24 hrs later.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Thank you for your respond.

Hope this guy cancels my order any time soon.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@fab_finds4u 

I understand they are 'required' but many new sellers don't...  and large $ purchases like this from new sellers are more often than not,  held for 21 to 30 days; to cover MBG. 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Why do you hope he cancels your order? Don't you want this item you've bought and paid for?

As others have informed you, you can open an item not received case 24 hours after the estimated deivery date if you haven't received your purchase by that time.

As a relatively new buyer, you need to read eBay's Money Back Guarantee for buyers so that you understand the protection eBay offers buyers (which is really very good) and learn to use it appropriately.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Why do you hope he cancels your order? Don't you want this item you've bought and paid for?

As others have informed you, you can open an item not received case 24 hours after the estimated deivery date if you haven't received your purchase by that time.

As a relatively new buyer, you need to read eBay's Money Back Guarantee for buyers so that you understand the protection eBay offers buyers (which is really very good) and learn to use it appropriately.

Plus, if he cancels your order, the refund may come as an echeck, since what will be refunded will be more than what is being held since PP keeps the 2.9% + 30 cents. That would also take a while to clear - IF the seller has that much in his backup funding source(I don't know if they would only take the partial amount from there or if they would take the full amount from there).

I have no idea what would happen if the new seller is in MP.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply