cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart delivered Ebay order ? Possible Triangulation fraud?

Yesterday morning, I broke my coffee pot and went on Ebay to see if I could find a deal for a cheap replacement coffee pot. I found a Mr Coffee replacement cerafe for only a dollar less than the Walmart price, offering free shipping - I paid $15.69. The seller listed the item as being in Denver, CO, but after making the purchase, I noticed seller’s location was listed as Sri Lanka, and I’ll admit I messed up on my part not going to their profile and looking closer. The seller also had good feedback at 100%, so I figured I take a shot and skip the trip to dreaded Wally World. I was expecting to see the package within the next 4-5 days as I am on the west coast. This morning, only a full day after placing my order, a WalMart delivery driver drops off my coffee cerafe, to my surprise. I don’t shop at Walmart at all, nor do I have any kind of account associated with them. I paid with Apple Pay so I am not concerned with the seller boosting my information, but I am concerned that my name and address was used with a potentially stolen credit card or gift card. Another thing I thought was off was I that received a USPS tracking number not long after I received the coffee pot from Walmart. It just recently updated as arriving in my city and will probably be out for delivery Monday morning. I’ve already reported the seller for using my information with Walmart without my consent and have not left negative feedback as Ebay tends to penalize people who do. I’m not complaining as I received my product, and received it fast, but am I going to receive 2 coffee pots LOL ? And as small of a transaction ($16) as it was, do I have to worry about catching heat for possibly being attached to a fraudulent transaction? I’ve read similar stories from other users on here but the whole thing with the USPS tracking number and having Walmart deliver my product has really thrown me off. 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Walmart delivered Ebay order ? Possible Triangulation fraud?

@stephenmorgan wrote:
There are people who will advertise stuff on various web sites for items they do not have.  Once they get an order then they will order the item from someone who has it and have it shipped to you.  How they make money doing this I am not sure.

They make money using stolen credit cards. I was a victim of this scam from many big box websites. Some stores, not all, blacklisted my address and cancelled any orders I placed online, even for in-store pickup. It took me over a year too clear things up.

Probably the majority of the times the ebay buyer never finds out that the stolen cards were used.

There's nothing ebay can do for the OP or to the seller at this point except for dropshipping from a retailer. With this type of scam it takes time to surface. Until the bank is notified of the fraud from the card account holder and the card gets blocked, it continues. The buyer received the item as described so they usually leave positive feedback. And lastly, since the card was never used directly on ebay, they don't get notified, the sellers account stays in good standing, and the seller just uses a different stolen card at the other sites.

If the OP'S address eventually gets blacklisted at Walmart because of the fraud. Then the OP can notify ebay with proof. Ebay can't take any action on an assumption. When I was a victim of this scam, it took ebay a very long time before the sellers account was NARU.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

The price of the item says no, the location says worry.  

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

The seller is not allowed to dropship from Walmart or any other retail establishment.  You should report the seller.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I doubt you will get two coffee pots.  The USPS Tracking Number may just be a envelope with a note saying your coffee pot has been shipped or you may not receive anything at all.  A tracking number was likely needed to clear the transaction on eBay.

There are people who will advertise stuff on various web sites for items they do not have.  Once they get an order then they will order the item from someone who has it and have it shipped to you.  How they make money doing this I am not sure. 

It happened to me once that I ordered a new item from one web site and then I received a used item that was listed on eBay.  

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@stephenmorgan wrote:

They make money using stolen credit cards. I was a victim of this scam from many big box websites. Some stores, not all, blacklisted my address and cancelled any orders I placed online, even for in-store pickup. It took me over a year too clear things up.

Probably the majority of the times the ebay buyer never finds out that the stolen cards were used.

There's nothing ebay can do for the OP or to the seller at this point except for dropshipping from a retailer. With this type of scam it takes time to surface. Until the bank is notified of the fraud from the card account holder and the card gets blocked, it continues. The buyer received the item as described so they usually leave positive feedback. And lastly, since the card was never used directly on ebay, they don't get notified, the sellers account stays in good standing, and the seller just uses a different stolen card at the other sites.

If the OP'S address eventually gets blacklisted at Walmart because of the fraud. Then the OP can notify ebay with proof. Ebay can't take any action on an assumption. When I was a victim of this scam, it took ebay a very long time before the sellers account was NARU.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Interesting scam, never heard of that one. Cant say I've ever had anything from eBay delivered by Walmart, but...

I have a couple times received eBay items that were delivered by an Amazon truck. Don't know if it was the same type of deal as this...I simply figured the sellers had accounts both places & were somehow able to use the Amazon delivery.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I would normally think triangulation but for three things:

1. Sri Lankan seller

2. Not high value

3.No Gift from Amazon card enclosed

Report the seller, this is against eBay rules

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Same exact thing happened to me  I did research and realized it was a scammer.  Ebay prohibits sellers from buying at Walmart.  And same wrong delivery dates. 

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Ebay prohibits sellers to use Amazon or Walmart . Google Ebay drop shipping 

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@kuuipo702,

Your second concern about being put on a list because of a possible credit card scam is most likely the only thing you need to worry about, it will only be on Walmart's list though and won't affect you unless you try to sign up for their delivery service.  You should report the transaction to Walmart to make sure that does not happen.  Calling calling your local Walmart to explain what happened would be a good idea.

You may run into a seller who ships from Amazon at some point. That will be OK unless the package has a Gift receipt inside. Many sellers on ebay have their items stored with Amazon and they are shipped using  Amazon's Fulfilled By Amazon (FBA) drop shipping service which is allowed by ebay.  What is not allowed is selling an item that has to be purchased from a retailer's site after the item is bought on this site.  A seller using their Prime account to have items shipped as a Gift, should be reported to Amazon.  Sellers also can drop ship from other Product sources, some of whom have warehouses in several states, and they will often give their location, as the place to return the item if needed. Then they deal with their source for the product return and their refund.

eBay does not penalize people who leave negative feedback. They may restrict the use of their Money Back Guarantee by buyers who use it too often.  They may remove a feedback if the comment breaks one of their rules.  The feedback comment being removed does not always mean the seller will not receive a defect on their account though.  The link below explains most of the rules.  You should always keep feedback comments professional sounding just state the facts without calling a seller names, or mentioning having to ask ebay to step in to resolve an issue.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-policies/feedback-policies?id=4208

For those not familiar with a triangulation scam the simplified Image below will show you how it works.

triangulation-fraud-image1.png

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

eBay allows sellers to use Amazon Fulfillment.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

What is an OP?

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

'OP' stands for "original poster".

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

This same thing just happened to me three times recently.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Yes it is fraud....

Very similar experience, that is happening more often, and so I have decided to say good by to eBay and all its great sellers, for the bad apples (sellers) that have spoiled the barrel of good apples (sellers) here on eBay.

If I wanted to shop with Walmart, I would use their online platform or go to their store, but that is not the case.

I wish that eBay would take notice of these fraudulent issues and remove these sellers who take the eBay business outside the eBay platform.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply