cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unhappy with a recent purchase ... what to do?

On 10/9 I paid via PayPal for a bottle of ZEP 32 oz. Mold Stain and Mildew Stain Remover for $2.53 with Free Shipping from a member who has 18 stars and signed up with eBay on Aug 19, 2018 and is based in the US.

I just now signed on and see he sent a message via eBay on 10/12 that said:  Thank you for your purchase.  I am sorry we are in back order until 11/15/2018. 

I went to look at his listings and see he now has a listing that says:  ZEP 32 oz.  Mold Stain and Mildew Stain Remover (Case of 4) $13.00.

He never refunded my money and I am not very happy. 

Shouldn't he have refunded my $ right away? 

What is protocol when a member says he is Out of Stock (?)  for 1 but then lists 4 of them together?  

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.  

Message 1 of 263
latest reply
262 REPLIES 262

If a seller does not have the item then he should man up and file out of stock, take his defect, and refund you.

He cannot tell you to wait for some back order.  That is not how ebay works.

And he knows if he refunds you he will get a defect.  So he is putting you off.

The day after item is estimated to be received, file item not received and you will get your money back.  And I believe he will get a defect, but not sure of that.

Message 2 of 263
latest reply

Initiate a claim for item not received and you will get your refund.  The seller is most likely a drop shipper whose supplier is out of stock on the single item but still has cases for sale.

Message 3 of 263
latest reply

He probably wants you to file a INR so he can respond with a refund and avoid a defect. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 263
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

He probably wants you to file a INR so he can respond with a refund and avoid a defect. 

So a seller can weasel out of a defect that way by making the buyer open a case.  I was afraid of that.

Message 5 of 263
latest reply

In my purchase history it no longer gives the name of the item he is selling.  The photo is a big white square with N / A as the picture and the listing says:  item (with  bunch of numbers) is not available.

I was supposed to receive it by 10/18.  

Message 6 of 263
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@missjen831 wrote:

So a seller can weasel out of a defect that way by making the buyer open a case.  I was afraid of that.

So then what should I do?   Open a case on the 18th or not?   I responded to his message and said I was not happy that he now has a case of 4 listed but can't send me the 1 he took my money for.   

Message 7 of 263
latest reply

Open case on 10/19. I believe ithas to be a full 24 hours afterwards.

File Item not received, and you will get a refund.

The missing photo is irrelevant to you doing so,

But as Jen pointed out, he does not get the neg he so richly deserves.

Message 8 of 263
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

Open case on 10/19. I believe ithas to be a full 24 hours afterwards.

File Item not received, and you will get a refund.

The missing photo is irrelevant to you doing so,

But as Jen pointed out, he does not get the neg he so richly deserves.

OK, thanks much. 

Message 9 of 263
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can call eBay and report them for avoiding out of stock defects. Show them the seller's message and the status of the listing you purchased. It sounds like a drop shipper and they need to have out of stock defects recorded or they will keep repeating the behavior.

Message 10 of 263
latest reply

@rainbowcolorz wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@missjen831 wrote:

So then what should I do?   Open a case on the 18th or not?   I responded to his message and said I was not happy that he now has a case of 4 listed but can't send me the 1 he took my money for.   

You could wait it out if you don’t mind your money being tied up a little longer & see if he cancels. Otherwise file a INR. He won’t get the defect he deserves but you can still neg him. I think he would have cancelled by now if he wasn’t trying to avoid a defect. He might be waiting for you to ask to cancel too. 

Message 11 of 263
latest reply

I'm sorry, but do you have some kind of aversion to telling the seller what you want? How hard is it to just write them a message and say that you don't want to wait--please refund ASAP.

Am I missing something here? I don't understand why people have such a hard time communicating their most basic wants--especially when this seller is clearly out of line. Wouldn't it just be a whole lot easier to simply say, "No." Straighforward and to the point. You shouldn't even be worrying about it--in my opinion--and I wouldn't sweat it for a second--you aren't the one that isn't upholding their end of the deal--right?

And other responders (not just talking about this post, I see this all the time here lately)--what's with all the pitchforks? Is it really necessary for the OP to get revenge on this seller--for a two dollar bottle of cleaner? Don't you think eBay would be a much kinder place--if everyone wasn't always so concerned with making sure that sellers get punished--doesn't eBay do that ENOUGH to us? Do we really need to encourage even more chastisement--let alone--give IDEAS and advice to the whole world on how to make a seller's life even more miserable, here on the forum?

In any case, guiding buyers that encounter a simple little problem like this--to report, punish, open cases, call eBay CS--is TERRIBLE advice. The last thing buyers need is more encouragement of their already out-of-control entitlements--do we really want to be instructing them, and giving them MORE tools to mess up our accounts with?  Don't they have enough power? The last time a buyer called eBay about an issue we had (and it wasn't even a case or anything--she just had a question--and for SOME reason didn't message me)--by the time it was all said and done, I had to spend about 10 hours on the phone cleaning up the mess--because she had absolutely NO idea what she wanted or what she was doing--so eBay CS was forced to try and interpret--and the dingbat who called knew that they had it wrong, but just felt powerless to stop them (her words). So please--can we stop trying to be the judge and jury of sellers here? Keep in mind that the advice you give here is not just read by the OP--but sometimes by thousands of other buyers. 

That is NOT to say that I think what the seller did is OK--not at all--and they probably should suffer some kind of consequence--and in the long run, I am sure they will.  But the more we keep spreading this persecution attitude towards sellers here--the more we will ALL suffer in the long run. I'm not saying defend the seller--most drop shippers are awful, we all know it--but please keep in mind that this is a two dollar bottle of cleaner--and what is actually happening here, most likely, is that the item is coming from China, and is going to take awhile to arrive--who else can afford to ship anything for 2.53--think about it. You are legitimizing and empowering someone who actually thinks that a bottle of cleaner should, and can, be purchased AND shipped in a REASONABLE amount of time for 2. 53--not here in the US--sorry, no way.

SO maybe this buyer, instead of being educated in the art of revenge, should instead be educated in the areas of: How cheap foreign shipping is KILLING USA busnesses, hurting our economy, and causing buyers to STILL lose faith in eBay (hasn't this been going on long enough--has eBay not lost enough customers yet due to the fraud practices of SOME of these other countries?). Or maybe the topic of unrealistic expectations should be brought up--where is the person who is always spouting off about how you get what you pay for? Or, how about just some sane advice--calm and rational, instead of aggressive and hostile?

Some of the responders on this forum really to think more about the advice they are giving here, and not just automatically jump on the "Make the seller pay" bandwagon--and be a little more kind--like you haven't ever made a mistake, and had a buyer take pity on you.

Message 12 of 263
latest reply

"But as Jen pointed out, he does not get the neg he so richly deserves."

The buyer can still leave a neg and it will stick.

Message 13 of 263
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

The new Service Metrics list INR as a defect towards the additional 4% FVF.

How is that seller going to avoid the defect?

Message 14 of 263
latest reply

@obeecat wrote:

@missjen831 wrote:

The new Service Metrics list INR as a defect towards the additional 4% FVF.

How is that seller going to avoid the defect?

It says no such thing--its not an actual defect that the seller receives.And all based per category & your peers. But its not an actual defect.

Message 15 of 263
latest reply