cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable To Checkout Using PayPal

It just started this morning around 9am when trying to make a purchase. I get to the checkout page, select PayPal, enter my password and it hangs, then goes right back to the same login box. No matter how many times I enter my email and password it never logs in so that I can complete the purchase.

I tried two different browsers (Firefox and Chrome) cleared the cache and all cookies, totally disabled NoScript, Adblock and Ghostery (on firefox) and even used two different computers, one running Win 7, the other Win 8.1.

I read of this happening in the past and some suggested logging in through ebay.ca or making sure you are already logged into your paypal account. I tried both of these and neither one worked.

I then went to Bestbuy.com and made a purchase using paypal and was able to log in successfully after typing in a word challenge. I was also asked on here several times to do both a word challenge and recaptcha which I did but still cannot access paypal here on ebay.

Is anyone else having such an issue? I am at my wits end, I have been working on this now for, literally, hours. I almost called paypal but the issue seems to be with ebay and I figure I will end up getting nowhere.

I just want to know it isn't only me.........

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Unable To Checkout Using PayPal

Oh and I also just tried using Internet Explorer, didnt work.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Chatted for 30 minutes w/ eBay support. Tried both PC and mobile logins. Tried browsers chrome, chrome-incognito, edge, firefox all giving the same eternal wait timer on Paypal login. If I log into Paypal directly in a browser tab, it's just fine so it's certainly an issue with eBay communicating with Paypal. eBay is aware it's becoming a growing problem and is working on it.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I appreciate your imput

I just discovered that it may have something to do with this new managed payment system.

I tested the checkout yet again, for the umpteenth time today, and this time a message appeared at the top of the page that mentioned new payment options. I clicked on the link and it brought me to this page: https://pages.ebay.com/payment/2.0/index.html

Then I noticed that for this particular item I was attempting to buy, checkout now offered other payment options as well as  paypal. Just as the article says, it did allow me to login to pp (FINALLY) and then select different paypal options such as which credit card to use or funds to be taken directly from the bank account I have linked to my pp account.

After making my selection it then took me back to ebay to complete the transaction.

So this is an ebay issue for certain, hopefully it will get straightened out within the next few weeks because I also have ebay/paypal  gift cards to use.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@ferrari-f1fan,

The page you linked in your last post is to eBay's new Managed Payment system, which does not accept all of PayPal's payment options yet.  It is supposed to be fully compatible with all PayPal options sometime in July.  Many new sellers and some long time sellers opted into Manage Payments without knowing it doesn't work with PayPal and it has caused problems for both buyer's and sellers. 

You shouldn't have problems with most transactions, because the majority of sellers have not started or will not be using the managed payment system.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

My other store is in managed payments and PayPal is available for purchases there.  So some sellers can take PP payments but apparently not for all sellers at this time.

List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

It is still **bleep** and Ebay techs don't have a clue when it will be fixed. I have been on the phone with them twice for an hour and all they do is say try another payment method. I can't even get the vendors info so I can use another payment method because of the ridiculous Ebay rules. This is also affecting any listings that are "buy it now" because it won't let you checkout to complete the purchase. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply